War of the Worlds
Written By: Brad Buckner and Eugenie Ross-Leming
Directed By: Richard Speight Jr.
Air date: November 23, 2017While searching for Jack, Sam and Dean unexpectedly encounter a familiar face. In Apocalypse World, Lucifer learns of Michael's plans.
- A Day in the Limelight: One for Lucifer, with the A Plot of the episode revolving around him escaping from Michael.
- All Men Are Perverts: What gives away Ketch in the end: he asks Dean how Mary Winchester is doing, and Dean sees the hungry look in his eye.
- Back from the Dead: Ketch, courtesy of a rune Rowena sewed into his body.
- Backup Twin: Subverted. Ketch pretends to be his own twin brother Alexander, and even has the paper trail to prove it. It turns out that Alexander doesn't exist however, and it really is the Ketch we know.
- Brought Down to Normal: Not quite normal, but Michael steals enough of Lucifer's grace to render him no more powerful than the average angel. Castiel even notes that if he agrees to an Enemy Mine and brings in Jack, Lucifer of all people would be the weak link in the chain compared to a Seraph and a Nephilim.
- The Bus Came Back:
- Arthur Ketch.
- Kevin Tran, by way of his Alternate Universe counterpart.
- Cold-Blooded Torture:
- Michael's interrogation of Lucifer includes some purely sadistic things like the spikes driven into his flesh.
- Asmodeus and his demons torture the Stampede Hotel clerk for information on Jack. When they're satisfied he doesn't know anything he gets a knife in the chest.
- Continuity Nod: It turns out that Ketch has the same resurrection rune sewn into his body that brought Rowena back after Lucifer killed her the first time.
- De-Power: After Michael forcibly amputates part of Lucifer's grace, he becomes powerless, barely able to even make his eyes glow, which works once as a bluff against other angels and fails to fool Asmodeus.
- Enemy Mine:
- Lucifer convinces Castiel to help him find Jack, so that together they can all stop Michael from escaping his world to conquer theirs.
- Sam and Dean work with Daniela the witch to bring in Ketch, although she doesn't trust them and they don't trust her.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Lucifer is very much horrified by Parallel!Michael and his plans for Lucifer's reality.
- Evil Cannot Comprehend Good: When Castiel protests over Heaven's plans for Jack, Dumah thinks Castiel is merely upset over a "pet" being taken away.
- Fantastic Racism: Dumah and the other angels treat Jack as a potential "pet" (or worse, an object) rather than a person.
- Flat "What": Lucifer's reaction when Kevin starts talking about how Michael is going to take him to "paradise world" so he can "meet hot women".
- Harbinger of Impending Doom: Lucifer of all people has become this. He goes straight to Castiel to warn him of the alternate Michael's plan to invade the regular universe.
- Humiliation Conga: Lucifer gets painfully tortured by Michael, has part of his grace forcibly removed, escapes back to the regular universe only to find himself nearly powerless and mistaken for a homeless derelict, then has the stuffing kicked out of him by Asmodeus, and winds up imprisoned in hell all over again.
- It's All About Me: All of the angels of Heaven are this in regards to Jack; they don't give a damn what he wants, only that he can make more angels.Dumah: Castiel, he's not your pet. He belongs to all of us.
- No-Sell: When a woman insults him as a homeless bum, Lucifer is ready to walk off, snapping his fingers for his usual neck snap...and stops when absolutely nothing happens to the woman.
- Oh, Crap!: Lucifer's reaction when he tries to kill a woman for insulting him and realizes he's lost much of his power...and in Cincinnati.
- Oh My Gods!: When he realizes that Castiel has absolutely no idea where Jack is, Lucifer says, "Oh my Dad."
- Rogue Agent: Ketch has left the Men of Letters because he knows they'd pull a You Have Failed Me on him, and now works freelance.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: The angels ambushing Castiel zap away when Lucifer's eyes turn red (a bluff on his part.)
- Sherlock Scan: How Dean determines that Ketch is the Arthur they know, not the "Alexander" he's pretending to be — the look on his face when talking about Mary, and his fight style.
- Slavery Is a Special Kind of Evil: What the remaining angels of Heaven plan to do to Jack; force him to make more angels without caring about his wants or needs. They refer to this as being "put to work", instead of the horror it actually is.
- The Starscream: Asmodeus is quick to jump on the opportunity provided by Lucifer's loss of power to overthrow him and secure his own rule of Hell.
- Take Over the World: Michael plans on escaping from Apocalypse World to conquer the main universe.
- Villain: Exit, Stage Left: Once the Winchesters get confirmation of Ketch's identity, he uses a smoke bomb to cover his escape and then flees.
- Villainous Rescue: Lucifer pops up just in time to rescue Castiel from being taken prisoner by Heaven.
- Villain Team-Up: Ketch is now working for Asmodeus.
- You Monster!: Although not to his face, it speaks volumes about how bad Parallel!Michael when Lucifer of all people is saying it.