A dangerous creature is accidentally released into an old house, attacking a mother and her child, leaving them both in a coma. Sam and Dean learn that Bobby and Rufus once tracked the same entity so the Winchesters look to the past to come up with a plan to catch the monster before any one dies.
Written by: Robbie Thompson
Directed by: Stefan Pleszczynski
For this episode: 1 soul eater.
For the series so far = At least 1258 humans (of which 15 were witches), 1124 angels, 186 demons, 71 vampires, 52 ghosts, 36 Jefferson Starships, 22 gods, 19 zombies, 12 werewolves, 10 hellhounds, 7 shapeshifters, 7 skinwalkers, 6 changelings, 5 djinn, 5 reapers, 4 dogs, 4 ghouls, 4 Leviathan, 3 Khan Worms, 3 Thule 2 Amazons, 2 arachnes, 2 kitsunes, 2 rugarus, 2 vetalas, 2 zannas, 1 banshee, 1 cat, 1 crocotta, Death, 1 deer, 1 dragon, 1 fairy, 1 familiar, 1 lamia, the Mother of All, 1 nachzehrer, 1 okami, 1 phoenix, 1 pishtaco, 1 Purgatory creature, 1 qarin, 1 rakshasa, 1 rawhead, 1 shojo, 1 shtriga, 1 siren, 1 soul eater, 1 Titan, 1 wendigo, 1 whore of Babylon, 1 wicked witch, and 1 wraith.
- Another Dimension: The soul eater's nest.
- Answer Cut: Dean says that there has to be an easier way to dig up graves. Cut to Bobby and Rufus in the same cemetery with a backhoe.
- Brutal Honesty: How Rufus tells off the nosy neighbor.
- Rufus: It's official, and none of your business!
- Continuity Nod:
- Several seasons back, following Bobby's death, Sam and Dean found a bottle of Johnnie Walker in Bobby's house with a note from Rufus that read "Fine you ass, you win for once. Enjoy, R" that is finally explained in this episode.
- Sam and Dean once again play rock, paper, scissors to decide who has to do the more unpleasant task of going inside the soul eater's nest.
- Demonic Possession: What happens to Dean and Bobby, courtesy of the soul eater.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: Bobby tries to explain a soul eater to Rufus.
- "I Know You're in There Somewhere" Fight: Sam to Dean when the soul eater possesses Dean and attacks Sam.
- Plot Parallel: We see Bobby and Rufus/Sam and Dean work the same case in the same manner roughly five years apart.
- Shout-Out: Sam and Dean pose as Agents Biehn and Reiser.
- Things That Go "Bump" in the Night: To Kat, the Soul Eaters at first appear to be classic child's night terrors. One of them grabs her while she's hiding under the bed.
- Timey-Wimey Ball: Dean theorizes that since the nest is outside time and space, he and Bobby could have been there at the same time.
- [Verb] This!: At the end of the episode, Bobby asks if Rufus is going soft on him.
- Rufus: Eh, soft this. [Hangs up]