Next: Supernatural S 11 E 03 The Bad Seed
Form and Void
Writer: Andrew Dabb
Director: Phil Sgriccia
"Dean helps Jenna, the police officer he met after the Darkness fell, get back home safely and then sets off to help Sam deal with a town infected by a mysterious and deadly gas. However, when Jenna falls into dangerous hands, she calls Dean for help and Sam tells him to go back to her. Unfortunately for Sam, he isnt able to handle the townspeople turned monsters as easily as he thought."
For this episode: 8 humans and 3 angels.
For the series so far = At least 1164 humans (of which 9 were witches), 1115 angels, 180 demons, 69 vampires, 51 ghosts, 36 Jefferson Starships, 22 gods, 19 zombies, 12 werewolves, 10 hellhounds, 7 shapeshifters, 7 skinwalkers, 6 changelings, 5 djinn, 5 reapers, 4 dogs, 4 ghouls, 4 Leviathan, 3 Khan Worms, 2 Amazons, 2 arachnes, 2 kitsunes, 2 rugarus, 2 Thule, 2 vetalas, 1 cat, 1 crocotta, Death, 1 deer, 1 dragon, 1 fairy, 1 familiar, 1 lamia, the Mother of All, 1 okami, 1 phoenix, 1 pishtaco, 1 Purgatory creature, 1 rakshasa, 1 rawhead, 1 shojo, 1 shtriga, 1 siren, 1 Titan, 1 wendigo, 1 whore of Babylon, 1 wicked witch, and 1 wraith.
- Ax-Crazy: After her soul has been consumed, Jenna proceeds to gleefully murder her own grandmother and then start trying to cut up Dean with a knife.
- Cold-Blooded Torture: The angels sent to deal with Castiel try this to get him to cough up Metatron's whereabouts. Cas doesn't know but, unfortunately for him, the angels refuse to believe him so they don't let up.
- Does Not Like Shoes: After Amara ages from an Enfant Terrible into a Creepy Child, she roots around in a box of old kid's clothes and finds a dress to wear, but walks around barefoot. Could just be that there were no shoes in the box though.
- Enfant Terrible: Baby Amara is a soul-destroying - but still adorable - infant. Later in the episode she ages into a creepy little girl.
- Enigmatic Minion: Reaper Billie. On the one hand she gloats at the prospect of reaping Sam and Dean and dropping them into "the Empty" so that they can't be resurrected. On the other hand her warning to Sam that he's "unclean in the Biblical sense" helps him to find the cure for his infection.
- Fire Purifies: Sam discovers this with a little hint from a Reaper named Billie who tells him that his infection from the Darkness makes him unclean in the biblical sense. He searches the internet for the biblical meaning of "unclean" and discovers that setting fire to holy oil purifies the unclean. He tries it on himself and it burns away The Corruption that has been turning himself and others into feral monsters.
- For Doom the Bell Tolls: Hannah tells Castiel that there is an alarm going off in Heaven now that the Darkness has been released. She says this alarm has never sounded in the history of the universe until now.
- Good Cop/Bad Cop: Castiel figures out that Hannah's rescuing him from the torturer angels was a little too conveniently timed.
- Hates Being Touched: The angel Efram, even by his superior Hannah.
- Lampshade Hanging:Dean: Really, Father Crowley?
Crowley: I'm sorry, Agent Pathetic Has-Been Rock Star, did I offend your delicate sensibilities?
- One Last Smoke: The infected man who Sam captures demands something from him before he'll tell him what he knows about how The Corruption works. Sam promises he'll try to find a cure, but the man tells him he wants something - anything tangible, and settles for Sam's pudding cup. The man just wanted a last meal before going feral and dying.
- Pedophile Priest: Played for Laughs by Crowley while disguised as a Sinister Minister. When Dean is questioned about how he knows "Father Crowley," the latter quips that Dean was once a delicious choirboy.
- Crowley later implies that pedophilia is actually pretty tame compared to what some actual priests are into.Crowley: I have sources in the Catholic church: Nuns that owe me a favor. Priests with a taste for-
Dean: Okay, alright, yeah, I can imagine.
Crowley: You really can't.
- Crowley later implies that pedophilia is actually pretty tame compared to what some actual priests are into.
- Prayer Is a Last Resort: Sam is slowly being taken over by The Corruption inflicted by the Darkness and feels completely out of options, so he goes to the hospital's chapel and prays to God for help or at least some kind of inspiration for what to do to save Dean and the world. He is seemingly rewarded with a vision of himself being tortured by hooks on chains, then looks up and shouts a demand to know what that means.
- Sinister Minister: Much to Dean's disgust, Crowley takes on this guise while investigating the baby Amara displaying telekinetic powers. He says that he has certain contacts in the Catholic Church who inform him of demonic possessions so he can take care of it if it's one of his people or a rogue.
- Skewed Priorities: The angels torturing Castiel completely ignore his pleas to remove the spell making him violent or his warning that the Darkness has been released, even though they know the alarm in heaven is going off. All they care about is finding Metatron and punishing Castiel for allowing him to escape.
- The Nothing After Death: Hinted at to Sam by Billie that this will be his and Dean's fate because they screwed up one too many times. There will be no Heaven or Hell for them, should they die this time; they will be cast out into what Billie calls "The Empty," from which there will be no return.
- Villain Over for Dinner: Father Crowley and a Spot of Tea.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: Jenna was introduced in the previous episode and given a personality and backstory, only to have her soul sucked out by Amara and then be killed by Crowley one episode later.
- Your Days Are Numbered: Sam captures a man infected with the darkness in order to find a cure. The man tells him that it's hopeless for them both: they will go feral and then they will die.
- Your Soul Is Mine: Amara feeds on human souls for sustenance. Amara first manifests as a helpless baby until she consumes her first human soul, Jenna, rendering her like Sam was when his soul was still trapped in Lucifer's Cage while Amara ages rapidly into the form of a young girl.