Out of the Darkness, Into the Fire
Writer: Jeremy Carver
Director: Robert Singer
"Picking up where the finale left off, Sam and Dean must deal with the Darkness that has been unleashed. Castiel deals with the effects of Rowenas spell and recalls his brutal battle with Crowley."
For this episode: at least 15 humans.
For the series so far = At least 1156 humans (of which 9 were witches), 1112 angels, 180 demons, 69 vampires, 51 ghosts, 36 Jefferson Starships, 22 gods, 19 zombies, 12 werewolves, 10 hellhounds, 7 shapeshifters, 7 skinwalkers, 6 changelings, 5 djinn, 5 reapers, 4 dogs, 4 ghouls, 4 Leviathan, 3 Khan Worms, 2 Amazons, 2 arachnes, 2 kitsunes, 2 rugarus, 2 Thule, 2 vetalas, 1 cat, 1 crocotta, Death, 1 deer, 1 dragon, 1 fairy, 1 familiar, 1 lamia, the Mother of All, 1 okami, 1 phoenix, 1 pishtaco, 1 Purgatory creature, 1 rakshasa, 1 rawhead, 1 shojo, 1 shtriga, 1 siren, 1 Titan, 1 wendigo, 1 whore of Babylon, 1 wicked witch, and 1 wraith.
- The Corruption: The Darkness, which slowly infects everyone who came in contact with it, turning them into mindless killers until they drop dead.
- Genre Savvy: The cop who makes sure Sam and Dean aren't infected by looking at their necks and figures out that the boys aren't actually FBI.
- He Who Fights Monsters: Sam realizes that he and Dean have become this, having been more focused on killing monsters than saving people.
- Idiot Ball: Crowley idiotically assumes that, as King of Hell, he and the Darkness would be "natural allies", despite having made enemies with every other extremely powerful evil force he's encountered up to that point.
- Infant Immortality: Averted. A girl is shown dead in a car. Played straight with Amara, a newborn, but she is implied to be the reincarnation of The Darkness.
- Kick the Dog: Crowley possesses a woman, has an orgy with her husband and another couple and then slaughters them.
- Not Using the "Z" Word: The Darkness-infected turn into (seemingly) mindless killers. The hospital scenes play out a lot like a zombie movie.
- Oh, Crap!: Michael, Lucifer and half of Hell all had a massive one upon the Darkness being released.
- Primordial Chaos: The Darkness, who is so old she doesn't even know who Death is.
- Skewed Priorities: One of Crowley's demon minions awkwardly asks why he stopped to have an orgy before calling them after Cas almost killed him. Crowley apologizes...for nothing.
- Tainted Veins: A symptom of corruption by the darkness.
- The Bus Came Back: Sort of. The demons mention that there are noises coming from inside the cage and that Michael and/or Lucifer may be trying to warn them. These two haven't been relevant for a few seasons.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Sam delivers one of these to Dean and himself, saying that they have to change or they'll just keep continuing this self-destructive cycle and put everyone else in danger.
- Wham Shot: Baby Amara has the Mark of Cain.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: The fate of the woman whom Crowley possessed after going back to his body is left unknown. It's probably better not to think about it.