Next: Supernatural S 09 E 19 Alex Annie Alexis Ann
Directed by Thomas J. Wright.
Air Date: April 15, 2014.
Sam and Dean capture Gadreel while Castiel investigates more angel deaths.
For this episode: at least 8 angels and 8 humans.
For the series so far = At least 1098 angels, 1021 humans (of which 8 were witches), 165 demons, 53 vampires, 49 ghosts, 36 Jefferson Starships, 21 gods, 19 zombies, 10 hellhounds, 9 werewolves, 7 skinwalkers, 6 changelings, 6 shapeshifters, 5 djinn, 4 dogs, 4 ghouls, 4 Leviathan, 4 reapers, 2 Amazons, 2 arachnes, 2 kitsunes, 2 rugarus, 2 Thule, 2 vetalas, 1 cat, 1 crocotta, 1 deer, 1 dragon, 1 fairy, 1 familiar, 1 Khan worm, 1 lamia, the Mother of All, 1 okami, 1 phoenix, 1 pishtaco, 1 Purgatory creature, 1 rakshasa, 1 rawhead, 1 shojo, 1 shtriga, 1 siren, 1 Titan, 1 wendigo, 1 whore of Babylon, 1 wicked witch, and 1 wraith.
- Affably Evil: Metatron.
- And This Is for...: "See, I don't care if you talk. You're gonna pay for what you did to [Sam]. And Kevin."
- Archive Binge: Invoked. With a single, painful touch, Metatron downloads 2,000 years' worth of literary, film, and television history directly into Castiel's brain. From now on, he will understand that reference, although he may not understand why it's being applied or how it relates to the situation.Sam: You want to sneak onto the Death Star, take out the emperor?Castiel: Okay. I—I'm not sure what a fictional battle station in space has to do with this, but if taking out the emperor means taking out Metatron, I'm on board.Dean: [exchanges confused looks with Sam] Wait, did you...did you just understand a Death Star reference?Castiel: Yeah, I think so. But I don't understand what that has to do with Heaven.Sam: It's halfway, I guess.
- Back from the Dead: Played with with Gabriel. We never do get an answer to "Are you dead?"
- Can't Kill You, Still Need You: Dean's trying to remember that he can't kill Gadreel until he talks.
- Can't Stay Normal: Metatron complains that he made Castiel human hoping he would live happily ever after, but that he even screwed that up.
- Continuity Nod:
- We've seen Metatron wipe warding sigils before.
- Dean still likes the shower in the bunker.
- Metatron asks Castiel if it would kill him to read a book or watch a movie.
- Credits Gag: The usual title card flares, burning wings and all—only to retract and bloom into intact wings and a brightly colored "Metatron".
- Foil: Metatron is this to Chuck during his brief time as a "storyteller". While Chuck is laid-back, casual, and tends to do things like write in his pajamas (and admits when his writing is terrible), Metatron is a pretentious douchebag who wears a cravat and gloats about his story.
- Fourth Wall Psych: In the teaser, Metatron looks directly into the camera and asks, "What makes a story work?" Later in the episode, it's revealed that he's talking to Castiel.
- Hannibal Lecture: Gadreel drops a fairly devastating one on Dean while being interrogated.Gadreel: I've been in your brother's body, Dean. He would not trade his life for yours.
Dean: Well, thanks for the rerun, pal. Sam's already told me all that crap. Hell, he's told me worse.
Gadreel: He told you that he's always felt that way? That he thinks that you were just a scared little boy afraid to be on his own because Daddy never loved him enough? And he's right, isn't he? Right to think that you are a coward, a sad, clingy, needy—
Dean: [punches Gadreel] Keep it up!
Gadreel: —pathetic bottom-feeder who cannot even take care of himself, who would rather drag everyone through the mud than be alone! Who would let everyone around him die!
- No-Sell: Metatron shows himself to be immune to angel traps and pretty much any other kind of warding, blowing out a ring of holy fire like a birthday candle and wiping the Impala trunk's anti-everything wards.
- Please Kill Me If It Satisfies You: Gadreel demands that Dean kill him. Dean figures life imprisonment (with a side of No-Holds-Barred Beatdown) would be a more satisfying punishment, considering that Gadreel's a Death Seeker.
- Porn Stache: Gabriel's got one on when he shows up at the door in Casa Erotica 14.
- Precision F-Strike: Anyone who manages to make Castiel curse must have done something seriously bad. Getting the Mark of Cain qualifies."Damn it, Dean!"
- Shower of Angst: Dean takes one after the opening credits.
- Shut Up, Hannibal!: Subverted. Dean comes within inches of gutting Gadreel after one too many Armor Piercing Questions, only to stop just in time. His hesitation forces Gadreel to reveal himself as a Death Seeker.
- Sole Survivor: Hannah is the only angel who survived an attack from Metatron. The latter reveals afterward he did it on purpose.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Castiel's nickname is spelled with two "s"s in Metatron's story. The fandom overwhelmingly spells it with just one.
- Super-Powered Evil Side: Presumably thanks to the Mark of Cain, Dean is strong enough to beat an angel unconscious. Even if said angel was depowered and defenseless (and Sam managed to land a good punch on him too), the last two times Dean punched an angel, he nearly broke his hand.
- That Came Out Wrong:Gabriel: Used most of my juice to get back into porn...thaaaat came out wrong. So did that.