Rock And A Hard Place
Directed by Johnny MacArthy.
Airdate: November 26, 2013.
Sam and Dean become born-again virgins when Sheriff Jody Mills calls them because people start disappearing from Good Faith Church's chastity group in Hartford, South Dakota.
For this episode = 1 human and 1 god.
For the series so far = At least 1066 angels, 933 humans (of which 8 were witches), 135 demons, 51 vampires, 49 ghosts, 36 Jefferson Starships, 21 gods, 19 zombies, 10 hellhounds, 7 skinwalkers, 6 changelings, 5 djinn, 5 shapeshifters, 5 werewolves, 4 ghouls, 4 Leviathan, 4 reapers, 3 dogs, 2 Amazons, 2 arachnes, 2 kitsunes, 2 rugarus, 2 Thule, 2 vetalas, 1 cat, 1 crocotta, 1 dragon, 1 fairy, 1 familiar, 1 Khan worm, 1 lamia, the Mother of All, 1 okami, 1 phoenix, 1 Purgatory creature, 1 rakshasa, 1 rawhead, 1 shojo, 1 shtriga, 1 siren, 1 Titan, 1 wendigo, 1 whore of Babylon, 1 wicked witch, and 1 wraith.
- Absurdly Spacious Sewer
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Bonnie.
- But I Would Really Enjoy It
- Cartwright Curse: Sam's reason for taking the pledge.
- Celeb Crush: Dean admires Suzy from her work as Carmelita in Casa Erotica.
- Classical Mythology: Vesta is the Roman virgin goddess of hearth and home.
- Comic Sutra: The scene with the tacos.
- Continuity Nod:
- Suzy, the chastity counselor, used to work as Carmelita in Casa Erotica. Casa Erotica previously appeared in "Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things" (S02, E04), "Dream A Little Dream of Me" (S03, E10), "The Monster At The End Of This Book" (S04, E18), and "Hammer of The Gods" (S05, E19).
- Jodi's blind date with Crowley.
- Death by Sex
- Defiled Forever: Subverted Trope. Sam and Dean become virgins by signing a pledge and praying for forgiveness.
- Do Not Taunt Cthulhu: Jody trash-talks a Roman goddess.
- Fire Purifies: Vesta's symbol is a sacred blue fire. Vestal virgins would guard the flames at her temples to keep it from going out.
- Gods Need Prayer Badly: Vesta blames her downfall on that "hippie from Bethlehem".
- Gratuitous Spanish: Dean thinks everything sounds sexier in Spanish.
- Holier Than Thou: Tammy thinks Honor is going to Hell because she is having an affair with the preacher.
- Jerkass Gods: Vesta buries underground any virgins who break their pledges.
- Lust: During the group session, Dean describes how sex can feel good in detail, while the women cross their legs and crush paper in their hands.
- No Good Deed Goes Unpunished: The woman in the teaser is attacked after giving a to-go container of food to a homeless man.
- Noodle Implements: "That scene with the tacos..."
- Our Dragons Are Different: Brought up, though the monster in question turns out not to be a dragon.
- Picky People Eater: Vesta only eats the livers of her victims as it is the only part of them still working to purify them.
- Power Glows: The blue light.
- Recycled Script: This isn't the first episode that had the Monster of the Week turn out to be a god angry about no longer worshiped.
- Sex Is Good: Played for Laughs with Dean's less-than-convincing talk on why he gave up the evils of sex.
- Sheriff Joy Mills compares Vesta to Lindsay Lohan.
- Speed Sex: One of the victims disappeared after telling their boyfriend it did not count because it lasted less than 30 seconds.
- Stock Episode Titles: At least 13 other television shows have used the same episode title, including an episode of Californication, Big Love, and CSI: Miami.
- Unusual Euphemism: Tammy's poem "Sex is a Racket, and God's Ball is in Your Court".
- Villains Never Lie: Dean asks why Sam believes Vesta, and Sam says she had no reason to lie:Sam: Vesta said I was practically dead inside.Dean: Oh, and she's in the circle of trust now?Sam: Why would she lie?
- Virgin Power
- Vow of Celibacy: Sam and Dean each sign purity pledges promising not to have sex with anyone prior to marriage, which is supposed to re-virginize them. They can barely keep a straight face long enough to sign their names and the lunacy of such a promise, particularly for Dean, is treated as an inside joke between, Sam, Dean, and Jodi for the rest of the episode.
- Wham Line:"I wouldn't do that, Dean."
- Who You Gonna Call?: Sheriff Jody Mills calls the Winchesters when four people disappear and a witness says they saw someone lift an SUV to abduct a girl.