Next: Supernatural S 07 E 10 Deaths Door
How to Win Friends and Influence Monsters
Written by Ben Edlund.
Directed by Guy Bee.
Air Date: November 18, 2011.
Sam, Dean, and Bobby become actual hunters (in the truest sense of the word) when they set up camp in New Jersey state park to track a creature that has been attacking people in the woods. The townsfolk claim it to be the real Jersey Devil. Meanwhile, Dean is beyond thrilled to find a Biggerson's restaurant in town, but is devastated when he discovers the restaurants special sandwich seems to be having a strange effect on the locals.
For this episode = 6 humans and 1 Leviathan.
For the series so far = At least 768 humans (of which 6 were witches), 89 demons, 55 angels, 36 ghosts, 36 Jefferson Starships, 26 vampires, 19 zombies, 14 gods, 9 hellhounds, 7 skinwalkers, 6 changelings, 5 shapeshifters, 4 ghouls, 3 djinn, 2 Arachnes, 2 dogs, 2 kitsunes, 2 werewolves, 1 crocotta, 1 dragon, 1 fairy, 1 Khan worm, 1 lamia, 1 Leviathan, the Mother of All, 1 okami, 1 phoenix, 1 Purgatory creature, 1 rakshasa, 1 rawhead, 1 reaper, 1 rugaru, 1 shtriga, 1 siren, 1 wendigo, 1 whore of Babylon, and 1 wraith.
- Affably Evil: Dick.
- Answer Cut: Dean's "Who the hell is Dick frigging Roman?" cuts to a news report on the man.
- Autocannibalism: "Bibbing" is this as a punishment for Leviathans, as happens to Dr. Gaines.
- A Weighty Aesop: Consumption of high fructose corn syrup and burgers are shown to have supernaturally bad consequences: we'll all become cattle to extradimensional primordial monsters!
- Autopsy Snack Time: Bobby and Sam are pulling all kinds of horrid stuff out of the monster they're autopsying, all while Dean is demanding something to eat.
- Bad Boss: "Dick Roman is coming" = Oh, Crap! reaction.
- Boom, Headshot!: Once at close range to Dick's assistant, and again to Bobby.
- Cliffhanger: "Oh God, Bobby? Bobby? BOBBY!"
- Concealment Equals Cover: Averted; Bobby Singer dives into a van, which is fired on by Dick Roman with a Colt .45 revolver. The Winchesters breathe a sigh of relief over another narrow escape...only to realise Bobby hasn't responded.
- Cool Guns: Dick proudly shows off his matched pair of silver-plated Colt Single Action Army revolvers.
- Corrupt Corporate Executive: Honestly, there doesn't seem to be much difference between a Leviathan'd exec and a regular one.
- Dissonant Serenity: What happens to anyone who eats the burgers.
- Distinction Without a Difference:Dick: I don't believe in hostile takeovers. I believe in merging... and coming out on top.
- Distressed Dude: Bobby. The Leviathans try to use him as The Bait.
- Double Entendre: "The Rise of Dick".
- Eureka Moment: Sam connecting the dots betweens Dean's change in behavior and how he is eating the turducken slammer along with everyone else.
- Extreme Omnivore: The stuff in he burgers overchargers your appetite so much you'll eat anything. Sam and Bobby pull out of Gerald Browder's stomach: Remains of Ranger Rick, a pack of gum (in wrapper), a pine cone, bits of Ranger Phil, bits of glamper, and a cat's head.
- Fade to Black
- Formerly Fat: Played for Drama; the Monster of the Week turns out to be a mutated technician whose metabolism burned off all excess fat of his body as it causes cannibalistic hunger.
- Get a Hold of Yourself, Man!: Bobby realises Dean has crossed the Despair Event Horizon, and gets angry as he's more likely to get killed without motivation.
- Get It Over With: Bobby's reaction to meeting Dick, who prefers to use him as The Bait.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: The video essay about Dick, "The Rise of Dick".
- Gone Horribly Wrong: The Leviathans are chemically conditioning humans to be fat and docile but 0.03% percent of those exposed becomes hyper-aggressive, hyper-metabolic and cannibalistic.
- Hat Damage: Averted; Sam seeing the hole in Bobby's cap is the first sign something is wrong.
- I Am A Humanitarian: An unfortunate side-effect of eating the Biggerson's Pepperjack Turducken Slammer.
- Inadvertent Entrance Cue: Sam is saying they don't have the firepower to rescue Bobby when a cleaning supplies van pulls up. What was the Weaksauce Weakness of Leviathans again?
- Improbable Aiming Skills: Bobby hits the monster in the dark with his eyes closed, firing on sound alone. Good thing the Deputy the monster was chewing on was already dead!
- Improvised Weapon: Pressure sprayers filled with Borax.
- I'm Standing Right Here: When Sam says the sandwich turned Dean into an idiot.
- Lame Comeback: Dean's response to being rebuffed by a waiter's, "A hostess will see to you, do I look like a hostess?" is a "Do you wanna look like a hostess?".
- Mad Scientist: Dr Gaines. At least he gets his just deserts.
- Minor Crime Reveals Major Plot: A Monster of the Week case turns out to be related to the Leviathans, who have taken over one of the richest and most powerful men in America.
- Mood Dissonance: "These are the sounds of nature." Victim of the Week being Eaten Alive.
- Oh, Crap!: Dr. Sexy!Leviathan's reaction to hearing that Dick is on his way.
- Parental Substitute: Bobby Singer, who'd look after the Winchesters while dad was Hunting.
- Rock Bottom: Dean gripes about having to hide out in abandoned motels with no hot food or water.
- Secret Ingredient: Dean is horrified that his Turducken Slammer is a part of the Leviathan's plan, as a partially eaten patty oozes grey slime from their additive.
- Seen It All: Bobby states that he's finally seen it all on watching someone eat themselves.
- Spies in a Van: They even have remote surveillance equipment.
- Take That!:
- At "glampers".
- Dick Roman is a company-gobbling, NRA-supporting, Corrupt Corporate Executive.
- Tampering with Food and Drink: The Evil Plan!
- Tempting Fate:
- The Unmasqued World: Discussed. The Leviathans' golden rule is to not allow the general public to realize supernatural monsters actually exist.
- Unwilling Suspension: The glamper gets hung up and eaten while still in his sleeping bag.
- Villain Ball: Even given the usual arrogance of Leviathans, Dick Roman grabs it big time, leaving Bobby untied in his office with a gun and his Evil Plan in files on his desk. Unfortunately Bobby drops the files during the subsequent fight, but he does get the opportunity to look at them.
- The World Is Always Doomed: Dean vents over this trope, saying they should just let the world kill itself if that's the intention. Bobby is not impressed.
- You Got Spunk: Dick believes this about the entire human race. Humans Are Special is averted however, as Dick is The Social Darwinist.
- You Have Failed Me: "See, I asked for complacency. Not complacency and a point-oh-three margin of hyper-adrenalized cannibalism." Apparently, that 0.03% justifies having your top scientist eat himself as an example to others.