Written by Robbie Thompson.
Directed by John Showalter.
Air Date: October 28, 2011.
Sam and Dean are framed for a series of murder-robberies by two Leviathans that have taken their forms. Bobby tries to figure out how to kill Leviathans using the one they have hostage, while Sam and Dean take refuge with a surveillance expert, Frank Devereaux, who gives them temporary identities to evade the authorities. The brothers try to stop the two Leviathans and track them across the country, discovering that the Leviathans are committing crimes in every town the brothers have visited since Sam left college.
For this episode = At least 50 humans.
For the series so far = At least 756 humans (of which 6 were witches), 88 demons, 55 angels, 36 Jefferson Starships, 34 ghosts, 26 vampires, 19 zombies, 14 gods, 9 hellhounds, 7 skinwalkers, 6 changelings, 5 shapeshifters, 4 ghouls, 3 djinn, 2 Arachnes, 2 dogs, 2 kitsunes, 2 werewolves, 1 crocotta, 1 dragon, 1 fairy, 1 Khan worm, 1 lamia, the Mother of All, 1 okami, 1 phoenix, 1 Purgatory creature, 1 rakshasa, 1 rawhead, 1 reaper, 1 rugaru, 1 shtriga, 1 siren, 1 wendigo, 1 whore of Babylon, and 1 wraith.
- Acting for Two: Jared Padalecki and Jensen Ackles play both Sam and Dean and Leviathan!Sam and Leviathan!Dean.
- An Axe to Grind: Leviathan!Sam isn't impressed when Dean grabs a fire axe.Leviathan!Sam: Think you'll get close enough to use it?Dean: Not until you're burning. (sheriff throws a bucket of Borax in Leviathan's face)
- And Your Little Dog, Too!Chett: I'm really going to enjoy eating you, right down to that hat. And then I'm going to eat everyone you said hello to.(Bobby cuts off his head)
- Anywhere but Their Lips: Lacking the confidence to follow up his Smooch of Victory, Bobby gives Jody a light peck on the cheek.
- Aside Glance: Leviathan Dean winks at the security camera before starting the bank massacre.
- Beware the Nice Ones: The young rookie FBI agent turns out to be a Leviathan.
- Big Bad: The previously unseen leader of the Leviathans, Dick Roman, makes his debut.
- Big Brother Is Watching: The man Bobby sends the Winchesters to for new ID's turns out to be a paranoid conspiracy nutter, but that's exactly what they need.
- Breaking the Fellowship: Sam and Dean go their separate ways at the end of the episode because Sam is furious that Dean killed Amy and lied to him about it.
- Continuity Cavalcade: All the way back to Season One. See Clip Show. The episodes specifically referenced are "Pilot" (S01, E01) (the Woman in White in Jericho, California), "Wendigo" (S01, E02) (the wendigo in Blackwater Ridge, Colorado), "Dead in the Water" (S01, E03) (the kid ghost in Lake Manitoc, Wisconsin), "Skin" (S01, E06) (the shapeshifter in St. Louis, Missouri), and "Hook Man" (S01, E07) (the Hook Man in Ankeny, Iowa). Presumably, they also hit Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania and Toledo, Ohio, but it's not explicitly stated.
- Cannot Spit It Out: Bobby looks like he's going to make a move on Jody Mills, but instead asks her to dispose of the Leviathan head.
- Cassandra Truth
- Clip Show: Kind of. The Leviathans impersonating Sam and Dean are targeting towns the boys worked jobs in, in order, since Sam left college.
- Criminal Doppelgänger: Two Leviathans take on the shape of Sam and Dean and go on a high-profile murder-crime spree with the intention of implicating the real Winchesters.
- Dark and Troubled Past: As Shapeshifter!Bobby points out the moment he can access Bobby's memories.
- Decapitation Required: After having tried everything else, Bobby gets annoyed and just cuts off the Leviathan's head with a machette, and is suprised when this works. Turns out it's only temporary, but at least slows them down.
- Eats Babies: Crowley offers Dick Roman a bag of baby uvulas as a gift to smooth their alliance.
- Evil Gloating: "Are you going to kill me, or is this some kind of play-with-your-food bull?"
- Evil Twin
- Faking the Dead: A friendly sheriff and his coroner daughter make it appear that Sam and Dean were killed in a shootout. Unfortunately one of the Leviathans turns up to check and kills them both.
- Foreshadowing: Dick threatens to "bib" his minion if there are any more mistakes.
- Fantastic Racism: The Leviathans, who apparently think demons are even lower than humans, who at least taste good.
- From Bad to Worse: Not only can't Chett be killed, he also informs them that he's the least of their problems, with the authorities chasing two spree killers who look just like our heroes.
- Good Hurts Evil: During his "The Reason You Suck" Speech, Leviathan!Dean talks of how annoying the Winchesters desire to do good is, when they could use their strength and intelligence to dominate the weak.
- Guilty Pleasure:
Dean: "Nobody puts Baby in a corner."Sam: You know, that's a line from-Dean: (emphatically) Swayze movie! Swayze always gets a pass!
- Dean's reluctant enjoyment of Air Supply.
- Defied with Dean's love of Dirty Dancing and other Patrick Swayze movies.
- Homage: The scene in the diner is straight from Pulp Fiction, minus the swearing and endearments. Lampshaded by Bobby.
- Internal Reveal: Sam now knows that Dean killed Amy Pond.
- It's Personal: Sam and Dean feel that "Leviathans wearing their faces and going on a crime spree" falls in this category.
- Knight in Sour Armor: Bobby, according to his double.
- Kick the Dog: Leviathan Dean makes a point of telling Sam the truth about Dean killing Amy.
- Losing Your Head: Bobby tells Jody to chuck the box containing the Leviathan's head off a bridge. "Don't open it, even if it starts talking. Especially if it starts talking."
- Made of Iron: Chett informs the Winchester that the Leviathan they dropped a car on in "Hello Cruel World" is very much alive. And angry.
- Mr. Smith: Frank tells the brothers to drop the Themed Aliases, which the Leviathan used to trace them. "It's Tom and John Smith from now on."
- Never Recycle Your Schemes: Roman rejects the idea of carrying on the plan with two more Sam and Dean shapeshifters, as the media would find it strange that they managed to come Back from the Dead yet again.
- Not Himself: Dean is looking forward to the burgers in St. Louis. Cut to Dean saying how awful they taste, and Sam griping about his healthy food — they're actually the Leviathans.
- Properly Paranoid: Frank Devereaux.
- Put on a Bus: The Impala. Dean is not happy.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech:
"Now, it's your turn to listen. I'd sooner swim through hot garbage than shake hands with a bottom-feeding mutation like you. You demons are ugly, lazy, gold-digging whores. You're less than humans, and they're not good for much until you dip them in garlic sauce."
- Dick Roman gives one to Crowley.
- These happen all over the place with the various shapeshifters involved: Leviathan!Bobby gives one to Bobby, Leviathan!Dean gives one to Sam, and both Leviathans have a good bitch session about the Winchesters among themselves.
- Ship Tease: Bobby and Jody, who's grateful for Bobby saving her life.
- Shout-Out: To Chatty Cathy, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Donna Summers, Mr. & Mrs. Smith (2005), Pulp Fiction, Dirty Dancing ("Nobody puts Baby in a corner!"), and Desperate Housewives.
- Smooch of Victory: After Jody accidentally reveals the Weaksauce Weakness, Bobby rushes upstairs and snogs her.
- Smug Snake: Chett is fully confident he'll break free, and nothing Bobby does even makes him flinch. He readily tells our heroes everything they want to know because it won't make any difference to the outcome.
- Spare a Messenger: The camera-only version.
- Super Dickery: Sam and Dean are robbing a bank for some unknown reason. It's not until they herd the staff and customers into a safe and machine-gun them to death that we realise they're shapeshifters.
- Take That!: Dean angrily throws away a My Little Pony mirror ornament.
- Weaksauce Weakness: Leviathans are revealed to be highly sensitive to Borax, of all things.
- We Can Rule Together: Crowley suggests to Roman that they should team up, only to be shot down when Roman makes his contempt for all demons clear.
- Weirdness Censor: The sheriff is only too willing to put in a false report that the Winchesters were killed in a shoot-out, so he won't have to tell the truth.
- You Could Have Used Your Powers for Good: Inverted with Leviathan! Dean, who berates the real Winchesters for not using their talents to dominate the weak.
- You Owe Me: Crowley tries to play this card, but Roman knows Crowley only got them out of Purgatory for his own benefit, so isn't impressed.