Upload Date: 20 Apr 2019
The Mario Showdown contains examples of:
- Amazon Brigade: Desti's team of Octolings are all female.
- Ass Kicks You: Saiko launches into Swagmaster quite similar to that of a Peach Bomber.SwagMaster: :( hey! that's not very nice u know
- Bad Boss: While defending her hideout, Desti shoves her own teammate out of the way just so she can take a shot at Meggy.
- The Cameo:
- The Old Man makes an appearance as a bus driver, who is promptly gotten rid of by Bob.
- Chris and SwagMaster696969696969 once again make an appearance, this time as border control guards.
- Combat Pragmatist: In the showdown near the end of the episode, Meggy wins by throwing her gun at Desti, which gives Mario and the others time grab their weapons and escape while she's stunned.
- Crazy-Prepared: Shroomy has access to monster trucks for scout training.Mario: (while writing) Note to self...be friends with Shroomy...
- Dirty Coward: Desti, through and through.
SwagMaster: help chris! im being oppressed!SwagMaster: CHRIS, my life is flashing before my eyes
- SwagMaster taunts Saiko over being banned from the Mushroom Kingdom but his bravado disappears once she gets her hands on him.
- Dynamic Entry: Subverted when Meggy and her team bust into Desti's hideout like this. While she looks cool, Tari and Luigi get entangled in their ropes and Mario flat out hits the floor, which only makes Desti and her gang laugh even harder.
- Everyone Has Standards: At first, Meggy is quite okay with anime being banned (due to her phobia), but she quickly changes her mind once she learns that Saiko had to leave the country because of the ban.
- Evil Gloating: The blooper opens with Desti bragging to her teammates about how they stole Meggy's weapons.
- Fantastic Racism: While Chris is professional with his enforcement, SwagMaster openly shows his disdain for anime and is all too eager to rub it in Saiko's face that she's not allowed in the Mushroom Kingdom. This turns out to be a bad idea.Chris: Sorry...the anime ban is still in full effect. You'll have to go back to Japan.SwagMaster: yee, your kind's not allowed in this beautiful country of ours lawlSaiko: My kind? MY KIND?! (grabs SwagMaster and starts shaking him)
- Foreshadowing: Axol's powers require the use of ink, and he shows a great deal of interest in both Meggy and Inkopolis. In the very last scene of the blooper he reveals to SMG4 that he was born in Inkopolis.
- The Glomp: Saiko gets one from Tari and Meggy once they reunite. The audible crunch may complicate things but one would guess that she appreciated the sentiment at least.
- Ironic Echo: "Cheating is a legitimate strategy". First said by Desti when Meggy complains about her stealing their weapons, then said by Meggy, when Desti complains about the latter cheating in their showdown to get her weapons back.
- Poor Communication Kills: Considering the fact that Saiko is an anime character, some people were probably questioning why Meggy and Tari seemed to be apathetic towards an anime ban that potentially has a huge effect on their best friend. However, this episode reveals that they thought she was just on vacation in Japan. Once Boopkins explains what's happening, they are quite horrified. Meggy is also filled with guilt because she voiced her support for the ban right before it.
- Putting the Band Back Together: Both Mario's group and SMG4's group finally meet up after being separated at the end of "Mario's Illegal Operation".
- Not Cheating Unless You Get Caught: Desti exploits this for all its worth.
- Oh, Crap!:
Boopkins: Oh this is Axol! He can make anime come to life!SwagMaster: OH GOD PLS NO
- SwagMaster, once Boopkins tells him about Axol's powers.
- Desti, once she's cornered by Meggy and the gang.
- Sequel Hook: The blooper ends on one, with Desti screeching how she's going to crush Meggy at the Splatfest.
- Tsundere: When Boopkins explains to Meggy and Tari how the ban is affecting Saiko, she reacts quite stereotypically.Saiko: Baka! It's not like I want your help or anything...
- Wham Line: "It's just Inkopolis... I was born here..."
- Would Not Hit a Girl: SwagMaster invokes this regarding Saiko but anyone who's watched his original series would know this is definitely not true.