The Green Lantern guardian Abin Sur, pursued by Sinestro, instructs his ring to seek a new, worthy guardian before dying. The ring selects Kyle Rayner, an artist working for the Daily Planet.
This episode features examples of:
- Badass Normal: Kyle, which is part of why he was chosen.
- Biting-the-Hand Humor: Kyle got rejected by DC Comics.
- By the Power of Grayskull!: The Lantern battery is activated by the Green Lantern motto.Kyle/Guardians: In brightest day, in blackest night, no evil shall escape my sight. Let those who worship evil's might beware my power, Green Lantern's light!
- Composite Character: Kyle Rayner combines the backstories of his comic book counterpart and Hal Jordan.
- Dude, Where's My Respect?: Kyle is not well-recognized in the Daily Planet, and Perry gives him a hard time. Jimmy appears to be his only friend.
- Evil Gloating: Lampshaded and averted.Kyle: Wait! Don't you want to talk first? You know, banter back and forth to show me your innate superiority?Sinestro: No.
- Gilligan Cut: After Kyle stops a mugger, Jimmy takes a picture, saying "Page One for sure!" Cut to a disappointed Jimmy posting the picture in Kyle's cubicle, asking "No Page One, huh?"
- How Do I Shot Web?: Kyle and Superman try to figure out how the Lantern battery works.
- I Surrender, Suckers: Kyle pretends to hand over his ring, but actually hands over a ring-construct decoy that explodes when Sinestro takes hold of it.
- I'm Dying, Please Take My MacGuffin: The plot starts off by Abin Sur passing on his ring, which eventually makes its way into Kyle's hands.
- Mythology Gag:
- No-Nonsense Nemesis: Sinestro doesn't bother gloating, he just tries to kill Kyle.
- Recycled Animation: When Abin Sur's ship hits the space shuttle, there's a full screen frame of a fire explosion, which is reused footage from "Where There's Smoke" when Volcana blasted Superman with a fire ball in the parking lot. This is used again when Sinestro blows up Abin Sur's ship, when Kyle's shield explodes, when his ring collides with Sinestro's and finally when the fake ring he gives Sinestro explodes.
- Shut Up, Hannibal!: Kyle tries to pull this against Sinestro, but finds his ring has run out of power.Sinestro: You can't run from me, Green Lantern. I never give up!Kyle: You never shut up, either. (tries to use his ring, which fizzles) What?
- Unprovoked Pervert Payback: As the ring searches for its new recruit, it brushes against a woman's backside, causing her to turn and smack the guy standing behind her.
- The Worf Effect: Sinestro spends much of the episode effectively tossing Superman around.