Oscar, Hedgehog, and the other campers are excited to take a trip to the non-magical town of Heartforde.
- Balloon Belly: Oscar, Hedgehog and the baker get bloated after the pie-eating contest. Once they get stomach medicine from the doctor, they shrink back to normal.
- Because You Were Nice to Me: Oscar and Hedgehog took so long just to get Oscar's toothpaste that they don't have time to get any of the other items they wanted to get. However, the Heartfordians they helped along the way are so grateful they give them a gift basket that just happens to have all the stuff on their wish lists.
- Bookcase Passage: The only way to Heartforde is through one in Susie's basement, much to her annoyance.
- Chain of Deals: Oscar and Hedgehog have to go through one just to get one tube of toothpaste.
- Inexplicably Identical Individuals: A guy Oscar and Hedgehog keep running into at different jobs turns out to be a bunch of identical people.
- Motor Mouth: Oscar's talking tube of toothpaste is this and it's the reason why Oscar really wants to buy a non-magical tube.
- Mundane Object Amazement: Heartforde is the only non-magical section of the island, and for that reason it's treated as a big tourist attraction, both by the native denizens and by the campers who want a break from all the magic.
- Strange Minds Think Alike: Paulette makes a bunch of typoes in her newspaper, including "poompkins". Later, when Oscar asks Ms. Pinch what kind of pies she made she says they're "poompkin" pies.