Steven prepares a special "together breakfast" to share with the other Gems (waffles, popcorn, chocolate syrup, whipped cream and a strawberry on top). He waits impatiently for them to come home. First Garnet comes back, and indicates she can't stay as she has to burn an evil picture. Steven takes a photo of it, and Garnet confiscates the phone, having to burn it as well due to the photo being a reproduction of the evil picture. Pearl comes home as well, but pretty much goes right into her room. Steven, determined to have Together Breakfast with the Gems, attempts to follow. His Gem won't open the door, but he sticks a foot in and squeezes his way in. Pearl complains at him being inside the temple, even as Steven wades through her pool toward her — until the waterfall slides him down into Amethyst's room. Amethyst asks what Steven has, and when he explains about Together Breakfast, playfully chases him to eat it herself. When Steven runs from her, he slides down to the bottom of the Temple where Garnet is about to burn the picture and the phone. Steven's arrival distracts her, though, and the evil from the picture possesses the breakfast.
- Garnet: Now it has all the power of a breakfast.
The evil breakfast attacks the Gems. But Steven fights back, declaring that he made the breakfast to bring them together, not pull them apart. He single-handedly wrestles the possessed meal into the cauldron and destroys it.
The Gems and Steven remake the Together Breakfast. But the memory of it trying to kill them has kind of ruined it as a tasty meal. They decide to order out for pizza.
We Iris Out over Garnet remarking that the together breakfast "did try to kill us".
- Affectionate Gesture to the Head: Garnet gently tussles Steven's hair.
- Big "NO!": Steven delivers the biggest one on record while shielding the breakfast from Amethyst.
- Don't Look Down: Steven jumps onto a pole the temple's "crystal heart" rests on. Pearl tells him not to look down and when he does so, he notices he's above a deep shaft, and starts sliding down it into Garnet's room.
- Early Installment Weirdness:
- The episode depicts the Gems actually intent on eating the breakfast and later deciding to send out for pizza. Later episodes establish that the Gems don't need to eat at all, and the only one who does is Amethyst, just because she likes the novelty of it.
- Compared to the gem monsters usually fought, the Monster of the Week this episode is utterly bizarre and inexplicable. It's initial form is a painted scroll whose image is implied to be a Brown Note, when burned the smoke produced comes alive, and it has no gem.
- Gravity Screw: As Steven is running away from Amethyst, the path he's on suddenly twists so he's running on upside down, and the breakfast he's carrying almost falls "down" and off the plate.
- Heroes Gone Fishing: We see what the gems do in their rooms when they aren't on a mission. For Garnet, though, that means "still working".
- Inevitable Waterfall: Steven tries to swim in Pearl's room to bring her breakfast, but fails to notice the waterfall a short distance from the edge.Steven: I'll swim it over to you. See, doggy paddle, forward. Oh, gosh! Wait, uh, doggy paddle reverse! Reverse!
- Lame Pun Reaction: Steven claims that his breakfast isn't exactly healthy, but being in a stack makes it a "balanced breakfast". Garnet just stares wordlessly.
- Montage: The episode opens on a montage of Steven making breakfast while trying to find Garnet, Amethyst, or Pearl. It ends with the same montage, except the Gems are there with him to make an even bigger breakfast.
- Mundane Made Awesome: As Steven is making breakfast, the music changes from a lighthearted ditty to dubstep bass drop (officially titled "Drop the Strawberry") as he precisely places a strawberry on top.
- Never My Fault: Pearl finds one of her swords in Amethyst's room and accuses her of stealing it. It actually fell there because Pearl dropped it (Pearl's "room" is a body of water floating above Amethyst's room), though Amethyst knows this and gives a smartass comment instead of an explanation.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: Steven's attempt to get the Gems together for breakfast ends up causing an evil spirit to possess said breakfast. Steven at least fixed this one by destroying the spirit.
- Parental Obliviousness: The plot is driven by the Gems' missing or outright ignoring Steven's desire for everyone to eat breakfast together. In particular, Pearl asks Steven what he's holding and when he tells her that he made a breakfast for everyone to enjoy together, she says "That's nice" and walks off as if she wasn't paying attention to his answer.
- Serious Business: During the montage where Steven is making the breakfast, placing the strawberry is treated like this, with the music suddenly shifting to intense dubstep as he focuses.
- Skewed Priorities: After Steven starts falling down a stream of water, he keeps using up one or both arms to keep the breakfast dry instead of using them to save himself.
- Stock Sound Effects: The vocalizations of the evil spirit are stock "monster" effects from the Hanna-Barbera sound library.
- Taking the Bullet: Steven protects the breakfast he made from Amethyst's water gun by diving in front of the water.
- They Wasted a Perfectly Good Sandwich: After making the bigger together breakfast, Steven and the Gems decide not to eat it because it reminds them of the breakfast monster made from the last one. So they get pizza instead.Garnet: It did try to kill us.
- Title Drop: After finishing breakfast but not finding anyone, Steven comments "That thing's too good for me to eat alone. It's a... together breakfast."
- Trauma Button Ending: The episode ends with the team making a new together breakfast. Since the previous one ended up possessed, they realize that they aren't in the mood for it and go out for pizza instead.