Echo: "Shinies", sir?
Rex: That's right. Your armor. It's shiny and new ...
[Rex puts his hand on the chest area of Echo's armor]
Rex: ... just like you.
An important outpost scanning the space surrounding Kamino, protected by a squad of rookie Clone Troopers, is attacked by the Separatist army.
- Air-Vent Passageway: Hevy, Fives, Echo, and Cutup escape from the base this way during the initial attack. The same vent is again used as an exit near the end of the episode when the Clone Troopers are planning to blow the base up.
- Anachronic Order: This episode takes place between the season three episodes "Clone Cadets" and "ARC Troopers".
- Be Careful What You Wish For: At the beginning of the episode, Hevy says he'd rather be fighting on the front lines. He ends up dying while fighting Battle Droids.
- Beat Them at Their Own Game: The Separatist droids try to convince Rex and Cody to leave by disguising their faces with clone helmets. Near the end of the episode, Rex fools them into opening the door by using the torn-off head of one of the Commando Droids.
- Bittersweet Ending: The invasion attempt is thwarted and the Separatist fleet retreats. Sadly, three members of Domino Squad are now dead, including Hevy. But hey, Echo and Fives are inducted into the 501st.
- Bleak Border Base: The Rishi moon is very barren with nothing but the Republic outpost and the eels.
- Bloody Handprint: Rex leaves one in eel blood on Echo's armour when he's explaining what "shinies" means.
- Boom, Headshot!: Rex takes out three Commando Droids this way the disguised one, the one that opens the door, and the first one he shoots when they storm the control room.
- Borrowed Catchphrase: See Pre-Mortem One-Liner.
- Breakout Character: Hevy, Fives, and Echo. Cutup and Droidbait are this to a lesser extent.
- Commander Smooth and Captain Rough: Cody and Rex are the smooth commander and rough captain respectively.
- Dwindling Party: Domino Squad. In order of death, Droidbait is the first to be killed by the invading Separatist droids, Cutup is eaten alive by a Rishi eel, and Hevy is forced to pull a Heroic Sacrifice when the bomb's remote has a malfunction. Only Echo and Fives survive.
- Elite Mooks: The Commando Droids are first introduced in this episode.
- Facepalm: Cody does this in response to Rex's plan to get the door opened by impersonating a commando droid:[facepalming] "This is never gonna work."
- Foreshadowing: During the defence of the base from the Separatist reinforcements, Fives wields two blasters. He later became an ARC trooper, who carry two blaster pistols as part of their standard equipment.
- Gatling Good: Hevy's favorite weapon is a Z-6 rotary cannon.
- Go for the Eye: Rex kills the Rishi eel this way.
- Gory Discretion Shot: The death of the clone sergeant during the initial attack on the base is concealed like this.
- Guns Akimbo: Fives with two DC-15 blasters during the defence of the base from the Separatist droid reinforcements.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Hevy detonates the bomb manually, when the remote has a malfunction.
- Hugh Mann:
- The Commando Droids are designed to be able to impersonate people. When Cody and Rex initially call up the Rishi Moon outpost to announce they're coming in, one of the Commando Droid puts on a clone helmet and tries to impersonate a Clone Trooper. It is not convincing at all, and signs off with "Roger Roger", succeeding only in making Cody and Rex extremely suspicious.
- Later on, Rex inverts it by impersonating a Commando Droid to get the Commando Droids to open the door. The Commando Droids on guard duty don't take notice of his customized armour.
- Improbable Aiming Skills: Rex kills the Rishi eel by shooting it in the eye on the first try with only a second or two to aim.
- Lower-Deck Episode: Anakin and Obi-Wan only have cameos in this episode.
- New Meat: This episode provides the current page quote.
- Noodle Incident: After abseiling off the landing platform, Cody and Rex discuss something that happened on Tybrin that apparently had some similarities to the current situation, only with Jedi present."No different than that time on Tybrin."
"We had Jedi with us on Tybrin. They helped."
- Precision F-Strike: This episode contains two of them in the form of the lines "What the hell was that?!" and "Like hell you did!"
- Pre-Mortem One-Liner:
- Rex says this to the Commando Droid that opened the door: "Roger, Roger." [headshots it]
- Also, Hevy...Battle Droid: Reinforcements reporting. Open up!
[Base door opens, revealing Hevy]
Hevy: Didn't say "please"! [opens fire]
- ...twice.Battle Droid: Do we take prisoners?
Hevy: I... don't.
[Hevy detonates the explosives, destroying the base]
- Second Person Attack: Sergeant O'Niner's death is seen from his POV as the Commando Droids who knocked him down aim their blasters at his face.
- Unplanned Manual Detonation: The remote handset won't link up with the detonator on the explosives and there's no time to fix it so Hevy stays behind to set it off himself.
- Verbal Tic: The Battle Droids' Catch-Phrase of "Roger, roger" gives away the one that tries to impersonate a Clone Trooper over the communications to Cody and Rex.