Its the annual Silver Bell Ball in Mewni, and all the royal families are in attendance. Star tries to behave herself for once, but she doesn't know what to think when her ex-boyfriend Tom appears to be ignoring her.
- Aerith and Bob: Tom's parents.River: Hello, Wrathmelior! Hi, Dave.
- Call-Back: Tom brings up Star's Song Day in "Face the Music", saying The Reveal that she had a crush on Marco was a wake-up call for him that Star wasn't interested in getting back together with Tom.
- Dance of Romance: The long-awaited dance between Star and Tom was initially for them to just get it over with for political reasons, but one thing led to another and it actually results in Star agreeing to go out with Tom again.
- Faux Affably Evil: Subverted. At first it seems as though Tom not asking Star to dance is a "club snub", a deliberate lack of etiquette meant to offend her. However, he was attempting to give her space after an epiphany about Star having a crush on Marco. When Star club snubs Tom to the point of asking the MC to dance when the two of them were the only remaining pair, he's genuinely hurt and leaves the ball.
- Flight of Romance: During their Dance of Romance, Star and Tom's magic causes them to ascend off the floor in a spiral of pink energy and flames.
- Half-Human Hybrid: Apparently Tom's parents are a gigantic demon Queen and her tiny Mewman husband.
- He Is Not My Boyfriend: Star has to bluntly tell Tom that she and Marco aren't an item, even after Ruberiot's song in "Face the Music" which he and everyone was present to hear.
- Height Angst: Wrathmelior, Tom's demon mother, an utter giant, is so large that she bumps into the ballroom chandelier, much to her annoyance. And when she goes to sit down with the other royals, she had to bend over and crouch because otherwise she wouldn't fit.
- Innocently Insensitive: Tom's efforts to respect Star's feeling end up angering her more, because his demon nature and anger issues make social interaction not his strong suit.
- Modest Royalty: Wrathmelior (Tom's mother) has a short pixie cut and wears a Little Black Dress for the Silver Bell Ball, which compared to the Requisite Royal Regalia worn by most of the attending royals is simplistic yet very saucy. The tiny purse she carries looks like something out of modern fashion.
- My Blood Runs Hot: Wrathmelior cries tears of lava.
- Not Quite the Right Thing: Tom wanted to give Star space, but as noble as that is, he wasn't taking the right approach. Due to his Lack of Empathy nature, he ended up acting like he was ignoring Star to anger her.
- Pass the Popcorn: Pony Head has a bag of popcorn when she watches Star ask the MC for a dance instead of Tom.
- Phoneaholic Teenager: Star's cousin, Rock Johansen, is less interested in the dance (or Star's attempts to say "Hi" to him) and more interested in his Magitek cell phone.
- Playing Hard to Get: Tom and Star spend the night "club snubbing" one another.
- Poor Communication Kills: Tom wasn't deliberately trying to "club snub" her; he was giving her space because he thought Star and Marco were an item, but he didn't understand the social implications of his actions. This reveal only makes Star angrier, and the two have a brief (but fierce) argument.
- Sacred Hospitality: A big deal is made over Tom and Star's supposed breaches of etiquette towards one another during the ball, to the point of River and Dave getting into a physical altercation.
- Sharp-Dressed Man: In contrast to his father Dave's medieval royal clothing, Tom wears a classy white suit.
- So Proud of You: Wrathmelior's tearful applauding of her son's magnificent dance with Star has shades of this.
- Strong Family Resemblance: In this episode, we get to learn where Tom got his looks from: His Mewman father, King Dave, and his giant demon mother, Queen Wrathmelior. Tom is Dave's near-splitting image, while the horns, three eyes, sharp teeth, strawberry hair, and pointed ears came from Wrathmelior.
- Sunglasses at Night: Lampshaded; Tom makes his Big Entrance wearing sunglasses after dark, and Star sarcastically calls him "classy" for it.
- Third Eye: Queen Wrathmelior has three eyes much like her son, Tom.
- Tiny Guy, Huge Girl: This episode introduces Tom's parents, Lord David and Lady Wrathmelior. David is an average-looking human fellow, while Wrathmelior is a giantess who looks like a Big Red Devil.
- Title Drop: When Tom appears to be Playing Hard to Get, Pony Head tells Star she's been "club snubbed".
- Vitriolic Best Buds: David Lucitor and River Butterfly appear to have this kind of relationship; they go from playfully chatting with one another, to brawling and bickering over whose child snubbed who, to being buds again when Tom and Star make up.