Neelix and Lt. Tom Paris crash-land on a planet while dealing with each other having feelings towards Kes.
This episode provides examples of:
- Accidental Pervert: The Emergency Medical Hologram has been listening in on various discussions for information he should (as senior medical officer) be routinely be consulted on. Janeway raises a Fascinating Eyebrow and demands to know just how many conversations the Doctor has been listening in on. The Doctor indignantly replies that he's a doctor, not a voyeur.
- Alien Lunch: Neelix serves the crew Alfarian hair pasta, which is harvested from the hair follicles of an Alfarian during shedding season. After he reconciles with Tom, he suggests they crack open a bottle of Potak cold fowl together. Tom unwisely asks for details.Paris: Cold fowl in a bottle? That's just an expression, isn't it?Neelix: No. It's actually made from the glandular secretions of an adult dunghill bird, found only on Potak III.
- The B Grade: Neelix isn't encouraged when Tom mentions that he got a B- on Starfleet Academy's survival course. Which his father taught. The old man clearly didn't play favorites.
- Call-Back: The Doctor mentions Kes' interest in autopsies.
- The Cast Show Off: Garrett Wang playing the clarinet.
- Comically Missing the Point: The Doctor tells Kes she should be complimented that Tom and Neelix are squabbling over her.EMH: Throughout history, men have fought over the love of a woman. Why, I can quote you autopsy reports from duels as far back as 1538.Kes: That's not funny!EMH: It's not meant to be. You've always been interested in autopsies.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: Neelix takes his jealousy past the point of all reason and outright assaults Tom.
- Deadpan Snarker: Kes explains that on her homeworld they mate for life and don't have all this jealousy stuff. The Doctor replies that her species' literature must be rather dry.
- Death Glare: Neelix and Tom of course, but Kes of all people gives one to the Doctor when he burbles on too much.
- Death World: Planet Hell, an M Class planet in a primordial state.
- Danger Room Cold Open: The episode opens with Tom and Kes apparently in jeopardy during a shuttle mission, when they're actually on the holodeck.
- Egg MacGuffin: Neelix and Paris find a nest of repto-humanoids, one of which hatches, leading them to care for it until the mother returns.
- Fire-Forged Friends: Neelix and Paris become this after a heart-to-heart about Kes.
- Food Slap: Neelix dumps the Alfarian hair pasta on Tom Paris' uniform. Tom responds in kind. Captain Janeway picks that moment to call them to her Ready Room for a briefing, so they've no time to clean up the evidence.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Neelix.
- Ice-Cream Koan: Inverted when Harry Kim warns Tom Paris off pursuing Kes.Kim: There's an old Chinese expression. Stay out of harm's way.Paris: That's not a Chinese expression!Kim: If it works, use it.
- I'll Kill You!: Shouted by Neelix to Tom Paris.Neelix: I'll kill you!Tom Paris: Too late! I'm betting your hair pasta already did the trick!
- I'm a Doctor, Not a Placeholder: The Doctor: "I'm a doctor, not a voyeur."
- Infinite Supplies: Averted (again). With food supplies down 30%, Voyager has to go off course to a nearby planet so Neelix can find edible plants.
- It's a Long StoryJaneway: (viewing the results of the food fight) Would anyone care to explain?Paris: It might be too long to go into right now, Captain.
- Lieutenant Crash: This time Tom Paris loses a shuttle.
- Letting Her Hair Down: For this episode Janeway drops her Prim and Proper Bun for the 'shoulder warmer' hairstyle she'll adopt in later seasons.
- Locked in a Room: Janeway sends Tom and Neelix on a shuttle mission to force them to settle their differences. Then they're stuck on the same planet. Which isn't big enough for the two of them.
- Love Confessor: Tom confesses his love for Kes to Harry, who isn't thrilled to find out.
- Love Triangle: This episode exists mostly to put an end to this. The Neelix-Kes-Paris triangle is resolved when Paris promises to not let anything happen between him and Kes.
- Meaningful Echo: When the Doctor tries to find out what's bothering Kes, as it's part of his programming, Kes says there's some things he can't cure. When Kes asks what she should do about the Love Triangle, the Doctor replies that there may not be anything she can do. "There are some things you can't cure."
- Monster Is a Mommy: The reptiloid pilot of the hostile alien vessel is just protecting its young down on the planet.
- My Sensors Indicate You Want to Tap That: Kes thinks Neelix is wrong about Tom being attracted to her, but when she shares her frustration over their conflict with the Doctor, he gives her a list of telltale physiological changes he's noticed in Paris when Kes is nearby.EMH: Whenever you walk into the room, his respiration increases, his pupils dilate and the coloration of his ears turns decidedly orange. Until I noticed the pattern, I thought he was suffering from Tanzian flu. It's there for anyone to see. Maybe not in the same diagnostic detail as I see it...
- Oblivious to Love: Kes regarding Tom's infatuation, until the Doctor points it out.
- Songs of Solace: Depressed over his unrequited love for Kes, Tom asks Harry to play something pessimistic. Harry instead plays something sprightly, just to be a troll.
- Suggestive Collision: Kes gets thrown into Tom's arms during his shuttle training exercise on the holodeck, giving Tom a Love Epiphany.
- Techno Babble: Lampshaded.Neelix: We lost communication with Voyager thirty seconds ago. You don't have to impress me with your... technobabble!
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork: Neelix and Tom on the away mission.
- Tempting Fate: This whole conversation is Hilarious in Hindsight, given that Harry Kim pursing unobtainable women would become a Running Gag in later seasons.Paris: A whole crew full of women and I have to fall for the one I can't have. Why do I do this to my self?Kim: If you ask me, I say you enjoy it.Paris: Enjoy it?Kim: Only thing that makes sense. You've been doing the same thing to yourself your whole life. Setting yourself up for rejection. You must enjoy playing the part.Paris: Hey, don't knock it if you haven't tried it.
- That's an Order!:
- Janeway forbidding Doc from 'eavesdropping'.
- And telling Paris and Neelix to solve whatever problem they have with each other.
- Discussed between Paris and Neelix during their testy shuttle ride.Paris: Can I make a suggestion?
Neelix: You're the commander of this mission. You can make any suggestion you like. And if you make it an order, I'll even have to follow it.
- Which ends up happening after they crash and Paris tells Neelix that they're ditching the shuttle.Neelix: Is that a suggestion or an order?
Paris: An order!
Neelix: Yes, sir!
- The TripleParis: I'm in trouble.Kim: What's new?Paris: I think I'm in love!Kim: What's new?Paris: With Kes.Kim: Kes!
- The Un-Smile: Harry and Tom when they have to walk over to Kes in the messhall to keep up appearances, all the while watched by a glaring Neelix.
- What Measure Is a Non-Human?: The Doctor gripes that he isn't being consulted on the away mission, even though his medical knowledge is required. Janeway says that Chakotay will work out some protocols, forbids him from listening in on their conversations, then cuts him off mid-sentence when he protests.