Enterprise reaches the Xindi Council, where Archer must convince them to hold off their attack on Earth.
Tropes in this episode include:
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: Archer recalls how he crushed on a girl in school that wasn't interested in him, until he got sent to detention for trying to pass her a note. Hoshi lampshades this.
- And Your Little Dog, Too!: After stabbing Degra, Dolim promises that once Earth is destroyed and the Xindi Council has been replaced by a Reptilian despot, he'll find Degra's family and kill them with the same knife.
- Back for the Dead: Remember Hawkins? Well, don't get used to him.
- Bilingual Dialogue: Averted. Hoshi spends the episode translating the Aquatics and Insectoids during the Council meetings.
- Broken Pedestal: Degra makes it clear that he's had enough with the Sphere-Builders, who the Xindi practically worship as "Guardians."Sphere-Builder: What have we done to lose your faith?
Degra: You never deserved my faith.
- Call-Back: Archer mentions facing a Klingon tribunal while assuring Degra that he can handle the Council.
- Cliffhanger: The Reptilians and Insectoids escape with the weapon, but not before abducting Hoshi.
- Deadpan Snarker: Dolim asks Archer if he's manufactured more data.
- Despair Event Horizon: Reed crosses it after Hawkins is killed, forcing T'Pol to try to talk to him."Maybe we're getting a bit too comfortable with losing people. 23 men and women. On any given mission, the limits of acceptable casualties is 20%. So says traditional military doctrine. Well, we've crossed that margin."
- Did You Actually Believe...?: After the Reptilians and Insectoids announce they've taken control of the weapon, Mallora reminds them that they only have two launch codes, needing another to arm it. Dolim asks if they really believe they haven't already considered that.
- Famous Last Words:Degra: They left me no choice.
- Ham-to-Ham Combat: Degra vs Dolim. The Aquatics have to tell them both to shut up.
- HeelFace Mole: Dolim pretends to be persuaded by Archer's evidence—before stabbing Degra and stealing the weapon.
- Hyperspeed Escape: The Reptilians and Insectoids escape with the weapon.
- Hypocrite: Dolim kills Degra for being a traitor, but later takes control of the weapon with the Insectoids. Mallora is quick to point out his hypocrisy.
- I Did What I Had to Do: Archer opens his argument by saying that he's not comfortable standing in front of the ones who had seven million people killed. Jannar replies that they did what they felt was necessary at the time.
- Manipulative Bitch: The Sphere Builders tell the Xindi-Reptilians exactly what they want to hear, that they'll be the leaders of a powerful Xindi empire if they destroy humanity.
- The Needs of the Many: T'Pol quotes that Vulcan axiom after Hawkins' death, saying that he understood the risks he took to save others.Malcolm: That doesn't make his death any more acceptable.
T'Pol: No...but it makes it honorable.
- No Name Given: We finally learn the names of Jannar, Dolim, and Kiaphet Amman'sor (the Aquatic councilor), but still not the other Xindi-Primate. The novelization of "The Expanse" named him Mallora.
- Offing the Offspring: Degra tells Archer a rumor about Dolim: he poisoned his grandson for having a deformity that kept him from joining the military. Archer admits that the rumor isn't hard to believe.
- Oh, Crap!: The look on Archer's face when Hoshi gives a simple report:"Bridge to Captain Archer. Five Insectoid ships are descending towards the surface."
- Overly Long Name: According to Degra, Insectoid names get longer as they get older.
- Passing Notes in Class: Archer tells Hoshi about being caught doing this back in school.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Mallora is still not entirely convinced by Archer, but he does his utmost to ensure he gets to say what he came to say and that the meetings stay on track. He is also sure to warn Archer that Degra is dead and the Reptilians are likely planning something. Jannar and Kiaphet Amman'sor are also nominally on Archer's side.
- Red Shirt: Alas, poor Hawkins...
- Sacrificial Lion: Dolim kills Degra.
- Say My Name: "HOSHI!"
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: Dolim and his aide walk out of the first meeting, seeing Archer's argument as an affront to the defense of the Xindi.
- Talk to the Fist: Dolim motions for this as a counter to Degra's arguments during the first meeting.
- This Is Gonna Suck: When Archer learns that Degra is dead and orders a tactical alert.
- Too Much Information: Trip is surprised to learn that Phlox has a tapeworm in his gut, and really doesn't want to know how to extract one.
- Villains Out Shopping: We see Dolim reclining in his personal thermal chamber.
- With Us or Against Us: Dolim delivers this ultimatum to the council when he announces that the Reptilians and Insectoids have taken control of the weapon. The others refuse to be intimidated.
- You Do Not Want To Know: Hoshi to Archer re whatever the Insectoid says to him.