Odo arrests Quark, but while transporting him to trial in a runabout they crash land on a deserted planet and are forced to depend on each other to survive and call for help. Meanwhile, Nog returns to the station. Jake moves out of Ben's quarters so he and Nog can be roommates, but Starfleet Academy has changed Nog and things don't go as smoothly as they had hoped.
Tropes Associated with this Episode
- Call-Back: A couple.
- Coming in Hot: Another runabout bites the dust.
- Conveniently Close Planet: The L-class planet that Quark and Odo crash on.Quark: How close?
Odo: Close enough. I hope.
- Everybody Laughs Ending: Odo and Quark find it in themselves to laugh about the whole unpleasant experience, especially after they both admitted that in their trading of insults in the middle of the episode, they both meant everything they said.
- I'm a Humanitarian: When the injured Odo tells Quark to go on without him, Quark responds that he's bringing Odo as "emergency rations". Also works as a Mythology Gag to the first season of Star Trek: The Next Generation, when the Ferengi were implied to be cannibals.
- Not Himself: Played for laughs with Jake surprised Starfleet has turned Nog into a rule-abiding neat freak which annoys him to no end. Meanwhile, Rom is so worried about his son's new attitude that he actually draws blood to make sure Nog isn't a Changeling.
- Odd Couple: Jake, the laid back slob. And Nog, the stuck up Starfleet cadet.
- Real Men Wear Pink: Odo likes to read trashy romance novels. He "claims" they help him gain insight into crimes.
- Roommate Drama: Jake and Nog, now a Starfleet Cadet, are forced to room together. Nog is now an overachiever and a neat freak, Jake is a laid back slob. They come to a resolution because there are no other quarters unless they move back in with their fathers.
- Somebody Set Up Us the Bomb: The Orion Syndicate set up Quark and Odo's runabout the bomb, setting up the A-plot.
- Stunned Silence: Quark leaves Odo at a loss for words with this exchange.Odo: Well, I guess you're not as successful a businessman as you think you are.Quark: Which means you spent the last ten years of your life trying to catch a nobody with little success, I might add. So you tell me, which one of us is the bigger failure?
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork: The only thing keeping Odo and Quark going is the idea of dying together.
- Video Will: Odo dictates his will on his combadge near the end, when it seems like Quark has failed. He requests that his ashes be placed in his bucket and shot through the wormhole.