Meanwhile, the whole station is abuzz about Sisko meeting freighter captain Kasidy Yates.
- Awful Truth: In his final scene, Brunt accepts a Comically Small Bribe to keep Ishka's case a secret. As Quark points out, publicizing the fact that a female earned so much profit would shake Ferengi society and force it to question the "self-evident" rightness of its misogynist laws.
- Aw, Look! They Really Do Love Each Other: Near the end, Quark and Ishka admit that, for all their bickering, they do still both care for the other. Ishka even agrees to stamp the confession and return her profits for Quark's sake... although it turns out that she has a lot more that she didn't tell him or the FCA about.
- Call-Back: A couple TOS references when Kasidy mentions her brother plays baseball for the Pike City Pioneers on Cestus III.
- Characterization Marches On: Brunt is much more of a Punch-Clock Villain in this episode, and is mostly shown as just an officious bureaucrat who's not really any more corrupt or obnoxious than most other Ferengi seen on the show. In his following appearances, he becomes a petty, power-hungry schemer who's out to become Grand Nagus, ideally while ruining Quark and his family in the process.
- The Dutiful Son: Rom stayed at home for ten years after Quark left, and even now, he's far more sympathetic and loyal toward his mother than Quark is.
- Game of Nerds: Sisko, naturally, gets excited when Kasidy mentions that her brother plays baseball and starts asking questions about the league on Cestus III.
- Got Me Doing It: After Rom calls Ishka "Moogie" a few times, Quark says it before correcting himself.
- Grew a Spine: Rom is unusually assertive for once. Calling out his late father for being an incompetent fool, and openly defying Quark.
- Intimidating Revenue Service: If you thought the real IRS was bad, just wait until you meet the hypercapitalist Ferengi society's equivalent.
- It's All About Me: Quark, naturally, regarding his mother. He recalls how, as a boy, she would frequently violate Ferengi convention by refusing to chew their food and talking to strangers, but apparently thinks she did it solely to embarrass her family. When he learns about her business dealings, all he thinks about is how it affects him, and calls her selfish for not considering that. The idea that a "female" might actually have pride, and wish to be her own person, simply doesn't cross his mind.
- Like Father, Like Son: Turns out Rom is this. Quark actually gets his business acumen from his mother.
- Oh, Crap!:
- Quark and Rom become terrified the moment Brunt introduces himself as being from the FCA, and are on the verge of panic when Brunt posts a writ of accountability.
- Quark when he realizes just how extensive his mother's secret business deals have been.
- Open Secret: Word spreads fast on a space station. Hence everyone knowing about Kasidy before Sisko even meets her.
- Punctuated! For! Emphasis!: Brunt. Eff. See. Eh.
- Tranquil Fury: Quark, when he figures out just how to solve the problem with his mother.Rom: Brother? ...is everything alright?
Quark: (looking oddly tranquil) Mh-hmm.
Rom: I'm so proud of you, Quark! I mean, other people in this situation might overreact and lose their temper, make a bad situation worse... but not my brother! You're too smart for that! You're gonna sit there and study the problem, and then come up with a clear, simple solution!
Quark: (smiles at Rom) I already have.
Rom: Oooh, you see?! I told you! What is it?
Quark: I'm going to kill her.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Rom finally gets tired of Quark and Ishka fighting and tears them both a new one.Rom: That's enough bickering! You're both acting like children! I will not stand by and let this family fall apart! Quark, you should be ashamed of yourself! I've seen you treat Cardassians with more respect than you show your own mother! And Moogie, if Quark can uncover your hidden investments, eventually the FCA will too! And then all that profit will be lost! Think about that for a moment! Now, neither of you is going to leave this room until you've settled things! Is that clear? AND NO SHOUTING! (*Beat*) I'm going to take a nap. (leaves)