Squidward fakes being sick so he can skip work and relax at home, and SpongeBob thinks he caught the disease from him.
Squiditis contains examples of:
- Playing Sick: What Squidward does.
- Rule of Three: The symptoms of Squids Disease are a scratchy throat, itchy eyes, and a dry mouth.
- Sick Episode: Subverted. While SpongeBob thinks he has Squidward's "Squid's Disease," nobody is actually sick during the episode.
- Spit Take: Squidward does one when he finds out that SpongeBob is sent home because he really is sick.
- Title Drop: Surprisingly averted. The disease in the episode is called Squid's Disease, not Squiditis.
After SpongeBob injures Mrs. Puff to the point of being unable to puff again, she enrols him in a demolition derby in the hopes of getting him killed, but instead he becomes a racing superstar thanks to his bad driving.
Demolition Doofus contains examples of:
- An Aesop:
- Show respect for someone when they're not feeling well.
- Don't try to get rid of someone just because they cause trouble for you from time to time.
- Bullying the Disabled: SpongeBob cracking jokes about Mrs. Puff popping her inflation sac can surely count.
- Didn't Think This Through: Mrs. Puff completely forgot SpongeBob is a sea sponge, as the first opponent that gets knocked out is slingshot back against his soft body.
- Evil Cripple: Never being able to puff again + wanting Spongebob dead = this.
- Gray and Gray Morality: While SpongeBob injuring Mrs. Puff was an accident, he shows no remorse for injuring her and goes so far as to crack jokes about her condition. On the other end, Mrs. Puff is hardly any better, since she enters him in the demolition derby specifically hoping he'll be killed, and takes matters into her own hands and tries to kill him herself when that fails.
- Imagine Spot: Mrs. Puff imagines SpongeBob getting smashed from all sides by thugs in cars and replaced with a gravestone.
- Irony: SpongeBob was entered in the derby so he can be murdered by the racers, yet his bad driving causes the other racers to be eliminated instead.
- Jerkass Ball: Happens to both SpongeBob and Mrs. Puff themselves. On one hand, Puff tries to murder SpongeBob. On the other hand, SpongeBob also cracks jokes about Mrs. Puff's condition and shows no remorse for injuring her.
- Karma Houdini: Despite being arrested in other episodes, Mrs. Puff doesn't get arrested here, despite her trying to murder SpongeBob.
- Lame Rhyme Dodge: "Why are you still... ALIVE!?" "Put it in drive?"
- Laser-Guided Karma: Both SpongeBob and Mrs. Puff get their due when the Boating School collapses on them.
- Near-Death Experience: SpongeBob was almost killed in the demolition derby, but survives thanks to being an invertebrate and his bad driving eliminating the other contestants.
- Never Say "Die": Mrs. Puff's idea is obviously to murder and kill SpongeBob (as shown in her vision), but she never says such throughout the episode.
- Nice Job Fixing It, Villain!: As the derby progresses, Mrs. Puff's idea to get SpongeBob murdered by the drivers goes downhill, as his bad driving causes the other drivers to crash instead.
- Nominal Hero: SpongeBob.
- Ocular Gushers: Mrs. Puff sheds them at one point as SpongeBob is surviving in the derby.
- Poor Communication Kills: When Mrs. Puff shouts, "Why are you still alive?!", SpongeBob misinterprets this as "Put it in drive".
- Punctuated! For! Emphasis!: Mrs. Puff screams, "Why...are you still...ALIVE?!" as she sees SpongeBob has not gotten hurt one bit.
- Rage Breaking Point: SpongeBob surviving in the derby long enough to be considered the winner is enough to push Mrs. Puff's sanity over the limit that she enters the derby to take him out herself.
- Reality Ensues: Years of being maimed by Spongebob, imprisoned because of Spongebob, and never being able to get away from Spongebob, no matter what she does, have finally driven Mrs. Puff insane, and after he laughs about crippling her, Mrs. Puff decides she wants him dead, and she becomes furious when he survives.
- Spanner in the Works: SpongeBob and his bad driving, which obliterate the competition resulting in Mrs. Puff's scheme ruined.
- Status Quo Is God: Mrs. Puff gets her inflation back at the end.
- Temporarily a Villain: Mrs. Puff.
- Throwing Off the Disability: Mrs. Puff, who was thought to never puff again, magically regains her puff.
- The Unapologetic: SpongeBob doesn't show any remorse for injuring Mrs. Puff.
- Unexpectedly Dark Episode: One of few "dark" episodes in the series, mostly around the point Mrs. Puff wants SpongeBob murdered in the derby and is furious when he doesn't get hurt.
- Unknown Rival: Throughout the entire episode, SpongeBob literally has no idea Mrs. Puff was trying to kill him.
- Wingding Eyes: When Mrs. Puff is intimidated by SpongeBob making fun of her, her eyes inflate into miniature versions of him and explode.
- Wham Shot: The first opponent being launched into the wall after driving into SpongeBob's mouth which stretches back like a slingshot, which is the first clue that Mrs. Puff's scheme is going downhill.
- Why Won't You Die?: "Why are you still... ALIVE!?" "Put it in drive?"