Buried in Time
When the Krusty Krab runs out of tartar sauce Mr. Krabs makes a time capsule out of the vat in order to sang a quick buck by selling cheap, overpriced souvenirs knowing full well people will buy them. When Patrick comes to bring his favorite rock, Squidward fights him over it as he thinks it's too ridiculous to preserve in a time capsule. The rock lands on a loose board and flings Spongebob, Patrick, and Squidward into the capsule. Mr. Krabs drops a copy of the Krabby Patty recipe for future generations and locks the trio inside. But now with a easy way to get the formula, Plankton tries to snag it, with predicable results. The trio escapes and while Plankton has the formula, he's going to have a hard time ahead of him.
Buried in Time provides examples of..
- The Bad Guy Wins: Subverted Plankton has the formula but he doesn't have it outside.
- Big Eater: Patrick, as always. He thought a can of shaving cream was a can of whipped cream and was disappointed when it wasn't.
- Buried Alive: The trio are buried in the capsule with nothing to eat and no way out. Spongebob and Patrick are to stupid to mind/realize.
- Faked Rip Van Winkle: Patrick and Spongebob play around with a can of shaving cream and give themselves and Squidward a beard. When Squidward wakes up, he believes he's in the future.
- It's All About Me: When the trio wonder about the future, Squidward believes he will be remembered as a great artist by others and that the Krusty Krab will be torn down and replaced by a museum based around him.
- Medium-Shift Gag: Patrick's vision of the future is various shots of Burbank, California such as the (now-no longer standing) office buildings near the Toys-R-Us store on N Victory Blvd.
- Mythology Gag: Spongebob's vision of the future has everything chrome, just like in "SB-129".
- This Is a Drill: Plankton's bike-powered Loader/Bulldozer/Driller machine he used to dig his way to the time capsule.
- Time Capsule: Mr. Krabs makes one from a emptied-out tartar sauce vat.
- Toilet Humor: Plankton is forced to poop out the secret formula's bottle after accidentally being forced to eat it by Squidward stepping on him.
Enchanted Tiki Dreams
SpongeBob and Patrick build a dream world for Squidward.
Enchanted Tiki Dreams provides examples of...
- Anti-Heroic BSOD: Squidward, of course, has one of these.
- Bamboo Technology: Turns out the tiki land was held together with earwax.
- Butt-Monkey: Squidward as usual. First he has his neck broken by Patrick landing on top of him, then he mans the till at work while Spongebob and Patrick are playing in the kitchen, and then when he goes out to see what they're doing, he gets his arm electrocuted with an electric eel, and as he runs off crying, he crashes into his house causing the windows and the nose of the Easter Island head to fall on top of him, so he has to dig his way into the house. Fortunately it gets a little better afterwards.
- Eye Scream: Spongebob and Patrick repeatedly spray mustard on their eyes, and it burns.
- Gilligan Cut: "One extremely annoying shift later..."
- Lame Pun Reaction: After Squidward dug his way back home.Patrick: Shocking.Electric Eel: How original.
- Neck Snap: Spongebob accidentally breaks Squidward's neck while playing "Buddy Toss". Squidward only gets annoyed and sets his head back in place like it was nothing.
- Nightmare Face: Squid gives us one of these during his 'Tiki Land' song.
- Roundabout Shot: Squidward, SpongeBob and Patrick have one as they dance in the Tiki Land.
- Shock and Awe: The electric eel.
- Throw the Dog a Bone: For Squidward, of course! Particularly when his Tiki Land is destroyed, he's delighted to find that his boat survived.
- Troubled Fetal Position: Squidward gets into one of these when hiding from his neighbours.
- Ungrateful Bastard: Squidward decides to hit Spongebob and Patrick with the boat even after they had built him this paradise. Given that they had inadvertently destroyed it and had caused him loads of physical harm earlier in the episode, it's understandable.
- Yank the Dog's Chain: After a glorious time in the tiki land, Patrick accidentally destroys it.