A Day Without Tears
Squidward bets that SpongeBob cannot go a whole day without crying.
- An Aesop: Everyone cries sometimes, but it's important to control it.
- The Bet: SpongeBob agrees on Squidward's bet to avoid crying before midnight. If he loses, he has to do Squidward's chores for a year; if he wins, Squidward has to come for a sleepover.
- Cold Turkeys Are Everywhere: SpongeBob tries to avoid crying, though to no avail.
- Determinator: No matter what Squidward does, SpongeBob manages to hold in his tears all the way to midnight. Especially when SpongeBob sees Gary sleeping and is about to, but he immediately snaps out and declares, "There will be no tears in this house tonight!".
- Irony: Squidward makes a bet SpongeBob can stop crying, yet he tries to get him to lose.
- Laser-Guided Karma: For trying many attempts to make SpongeBob cry, Squidward loses the bet and has to spend the night with him, and cries about it.
- Match Cut: The video of SpongeBob crying consists of the different backgrounds changing behind him to whatever situation hes crying over. Done again with Squidward at the very end as he is forced to sleep over with SpongeBob after he wins the bet.
- Minor Injury Overreaction: SpongeBob cries when he stubs his toe.
- Minor Insult Meltdown: SpongeBob cries when Squidward harshly yells "Krabby Patty nothing!" at him a couple of times.
- Mood Whiplash: The first few times Squidward tries to make SpongBob cry, he manages to snap out moments later.
- Ocular Gushers: SpongBob releases these in the video Squidward showed. In the end after midnight, SpongeBob unleashes gigantic streams of tears that flood Bikini Bottom.
- Overly Long Gag: The video of SpongBob crying repeatedly.
- Prone to Tears: SpongeBob as usual, but this is a plot point.
- Saying Sound Effects Out Loud: In the video where SpongeBob cries in different places, he says "Weep. Boo-hoo. Boo-hoo. Sob. Whimper."
- Thinking Out Loud: SpongeBob does it when he hears Squidward say under his breath that he wants to win the bet.I am not gonna cry...I am not gonna cry...
- Trying Not to Cry: SpongeBob tries to avoid crying to win the bet against Squidward, who ironically, tries to get him to do it to lose. He soon does cry as midnight came and thus wins the bet.
- Unknown Rival: Averted, SpongBob is aware Squidward wants him to lose after he quips at it after leaving the Krusty Krab.
- Watching the Sunset: Squidward's first attempt to get SpongeBob to cry is have him watch the sunset with him. By the time it's over, he snaps out.
- When the Clock Strikes Twelve: Midnight is the deadline for SpongeBob's bet, and he does all he can to hold in his tears until then.
Mrs. Puff is forced to work at the Krusty Krab.
- Arc Words: "Don't forget to read the note!"
- Blackmail: Mr. Krabs makes Mrs. Puff work for him under pain of telling her parole officer she smashed his restaurant with her boat, which could get her sent away for a very long time.
- Butt-Monkey: Mrs. Puff.
- Downer Ending: Mrs. Puff is sent to driving school where SpongeBob is the teacher.
- Felony Misdemeanor: Mrs. Puff is arrested for littering. Ironically, considering what she did earlier and at the start of the episode would get her in even more trouble, she opts to Confess to a Lesser Crime.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: Mrs. Puff quits the Krusty Krab after SpongeBob annoys her so much.
- Series Continuity Error: Mr. Krabs doesn't recognize Mrs. Puff despite their interaction in "Krusty Love".
- Shame If Something Happened: Mr. Krabs says this about revealing Mrs. Puff trashed his place.
- Unishment: Subverted. It looked like Mrs. Puff is glad to go to jail than to put up with SpongeBob, but as she is sent to driving school, she learns that SpongeBob will teach the class.