United States airdate; December 28, 2000
Canada airdate: March 30, 2001
Dying for Pie
It's Employee Brotherhood Day at the Krusty Krab and Mr. Krabs has SpongeBob and Squidward exchange gifts. After revealing the gifts have to be homemade, Squidward buys a pie from a group of pirates that turns out to be a bomb. Then he's convinced that SpongeBob ate it...
Plankton sends a robotic duplicate of Mr. Krabs to try and steal the Krabby Patty formula, and SpongeBob believes it's the real thing.
Dying for Pie contains examples of...
- An Aesop:
- Sometimes the best gift you can give someone is your time and friendship.
- The best gifts are made by you.
- On a less glurgey note, make sure the things you give and receive aren't dangerous.
- Angrish: Upon seeing that SpongeBob is still alive after sunset, he starts spouting gibberish in disbelief:SpongeBob: Squidward, we already played 'Babble Like A Idiot'.
- Bumper Sticker: "Do Not Ask Me About My Day."
- Cardiovascular Love: SpongeBob's sweater for Squidward reads "I ♥ U". Squidward reads it as "I heart you".
- Celestial Deadline: When SpongeBob is thought to eat the exploding pie, Mr. Krabs says hes only got until sunset before it drops into his lower intestine and thats the time he is to explode.
- Convenience Store Gift Shopping: Defied; When told he needs to exchange gifts with SpongeBob, Squidward says hell just buy the little twerp a gumball before Mr. Krabs informs him that he has to make the gift himself.
- Crashing Dreams: The episode opens with an Imagine Spot of Squidward on an island playing tropical music on a piano when he's interrupted by SpongeBob ringing a bell yelling "Order up, Squidward!", which resulted from his ringing alarm clock.
- Failed a Spot Check: Upon entering Mr. Krabs' office, SpongeBob instantly took notice of the pie on his desk, ignoring the huge hole in the wall.
- Family-Unfriendly Death: It's only an Imagine Spot, but the scene where Squidward imagines SpongeBob literally exploding in the middle of serving a customer is chilling even for a children's program.
- Gory Discretion Shot: While the aforementioned imagination sequence doesn't show SpongeBob exploding on-screen, we do see pieces of what used to be the sponge sprinkling all over the restaurant to give the impression that that's what happened.
- Hair-Trigger Explosive: A bite of that pie falling on the ground is enough to blow up Mr. Krabs' office when that hits the ground, which makes you wonder why it didn't explode when Squidward dropped it on Mr. Krabs' desk. During the ending scene, SpongeBob shows Squidward that he never ate the bomb pie, he was saving it in his pocket the whole time. He then trips, dropping the pie and causing a nuclear explosion that leaves Bikini Bottom in tatters.Squidward: Ow.
- Home Made Sweater From Hell: SpongeBob makes Squidward a sweater made from his own eyelashes. Later he makes another one from his own tears.
- Imagine Spotting: Upon hearing that the last thing on SpongeBob's list is watching the sunset, Squidward recalls Mr. Krabs saying that's when the bomb hits his lower intestine. His Imagine Spot doesn't go unnoticed.SpongeBob: Hey, it's Mr. Krabs! Hi, Mr. Krabs!
(Thought Bubble!Mr. Krabs runs off crying like the real Mr. Krabs did)
SpongeBob: Okay! See ya later!
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Squidward once again expresses concern for SpongeBob as he waits in fear for the bomb to go off.
- Karma Houdini: As far as we know, the pirates never got their comeuppance for tricking Squidward into thinking a pie was a bomb. At the very least, they conned him out of his money, and their trick could very easily have killed somebody.
- Meatgrinder Surgery: Spongebob "performs" open-heart surgery on Squidward by opening his chest cavity and poking his heart with his finger. This causes blood to come squirting out, though Squidward is alive and well in the next scene.
- Last Day to Live: Squidward is convinced SpongeBob ate the bomb pie, so he is tasked by Mr. Krabs to enjoy his final hours with him. When he doesnt explode after all, he isnt too pleased about it.Squidward: Are you sure you should be poking it like that?
SpongeBob: Who's the doctor here?
- Medium-Shift Gag: When the bomb finally goes off, it cuts to live action Stock Footage of an underwater atomic explosion.
- Mistaken for Dying: Squidward believes SpongeBob ate the bomb pie and tries to make best of his "last day on Earth". He is none at all happy when he finds out SpongeBob never ate the pie.
- Noodle Incident: Mr. Krabs has seen people die from eating exploding pies before. Eleven times, in fact. As has the doctor Squidward calls.
- No Sympathy: Initially quite averted with Squidward, who is quite guilt-ridden to learn that Spongebob will supposedly die at sunset because of him and willingly joins Spongebob in a variety of ridiculous (and even dangerous) activities to make his last hours as meaningful as possible. However, when Spongebob does not explode as expected, instead of being happy, Squidward is angry because his time was wasted.
- Off-Model: When Squidward points at Spongebob to say "...that guy!", Mr. Krabs lower half comes further into frame to reveal that the animators didn't draw any legs on him.
- A Pirate 400 Years Too Late: Squidward buys his pie bomb from an anachronistic pirate crew.
- Reading Foreign Signs Out Loud: The German dub has a few of the characters' voice actors doing it. (For example, translating the Bumper Sticker from "Do Not Ask Me About My Day" to "Frag Mich Nicht Wie's Mir Geht").
- Ridiculously Potent Explosive: Played for Laughs. When the bomb disguised as a pie finally goes off at the end of episode, the explosion is so great we see stock footage of an underwater A-bomb going off and the blast was large enough to destroy the entire city.
- Scenery Gorn: Bikini Bottom and its surroundings are positively TOASTED after the bomb goes off.
- "Shaggy Dog" Story: It turns out SpongeBob never ate the bomb pie; he was saving it in his pocket, and he really ate a different pie offscreen which was completely non-fatal.
- Shout-Out: Squidward briefly channels Ralph Kramden on the line "He's gonna drown in it! DROWN in it!" recalling Ralph's famous line to his mother-in-law, "YOU are a blabbermouth. A BLABBERMOUTH!"
- Skewed Priorities: After Squidward explains to him about the exploding pie, the first thing Mr. Krabs comments on is the twenty-five dollars Squidward spent on the pie.
- Tears of Remorse: Squidward sheds these when he thinks SpongeBob has exploded.
- Three... Two... One...: Squidward hesitantly counts down the sunset to SpongeBobs request, when he believes his explosion is going to happen any second.
- Too Dumb to Live:
- SpongeBob, who completely looks past that Squidward just explained that the pie was a bomb and still suggests that they eat it anyway. He then trips over a pebble, accidentally sending the pie flying into Squidward's face, blowing up all of Bikini Bottom in the process.
- Squidward as well, for knowingly buying a pie explicitly said to be a bomb by the pirates, and taking their word for it when they say that they were just kidding as they con him out of a fast buck, although Squidward probably didn't care enough to think twice and only wanted to get Mr. Krabs off his back.
- Watching the Sunset: SpongeBob's last thing to do is to watch the sunset with Squidward. While the former enjoys such, the latter panics as this is the time the pie drops into SpongeBob's lower intestine and will explode any second.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Mr. Krabs gives one to Squidward when it looked like SpongeBob has eaten the exploding pie.Mr. Krabs: You had to kill him. The boy cries you a sweater of tears... and you kill him. How are you gonna live with yourself?
Imitation Krabs contains examples of...
- Accidental Truth: SpongeBob mistakes a customer who makes an innocent query about what's in Krabby Patties for Plankton in another disguise and rips off his head. Turns out, he was wearing a mask, but only because he's insecure about the fact that his real head is disproportionately small for his body.Customer: Everyone at the Head Enhancement Clinic said nobody would notice! (runs away crying)
- Air Quotes: Used by Squidward when he meets Robot Krabs.Squidward: You're not Mr. Krabs.
Robot Krabs: Hey, why don't you take the rest of the day off?
Squidward: Ha-ha! Well, whatever you say, "Mr. Krabs".
- Berserk Button: Asking for a day off, let alone saying the words "day off", is enough to anger Mr. Krabs.
- Big "WHAT?!": Plankton screams this after 6 1/2 hours of random requests from SpongeBob before giving him the formula. Since hes speaking through Robot Krabs, it comes out rather dull.
- Bottle Episode: The entire episode is set at the Krusty Krab, and SpongeBob is wearing his hat almost the entire time.
- Dramatic Gasp: When Mr. Krabs walks in on SpongeBob about to give Robot Krabs the secret formula, everyone gasps, including the penny Krabs was chasing.
- Funny Background Event: The opening pan of the Krusty Krab's interior shows the patrons enjoying their burgers in... creative ways. For example, one customer is sucking on it like a pacifier while another has removed the top bun and is licking the inside.
- Go Look at the Distraction: When Plankton hears Mr. Krabs coming, he says to SpongeBob, "Look, a jellyfish!". SpongeBob whips out his net yelling "I got it! I got it!" and chases the nonexistent jellyfish while Plankton converts his robot into a toaster.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: "Coin-operated self-destruct. Not one of my better ideas."
- Humans Are Cthulhu: One human tried eating Mr. Krabs with a fork.
- I Take Offense to That Last One!:Mr. Krabs: If I were a robot, which I'm not, at least I'm well put together, not some rusted-up, steam-driven pile of junk.
Robot Krabs: Who are you calling steam-driven?
- Inventional Wisdom: Even Plankton admits that equipping his robot with a coin-operated Self-Destruct Mechanism wasn't a good idea.
- Motor Mouth: SpongeBob giving Plankton the Krabby Patty disclaimer all in one breath.
- Near-Villain Victory: If Plankton weren't so busy laughing silly when SpongeBob activated the self-destruct coin slot, odds are he would've finally stolen the secret formula.
- Oh, Crap!:
- Both Mr. Krabs and Robot Krabs when SpongeBob threatens them with tartar sauce.
- Plankton when SpongeBob unwittingly inserts a penny into the self-destruct coin slot.
- SpongeBob when he witnesses Robot Krabs run into the Chum Bucket and explode, after kicking out the real Mr. Krabs.SpongeBob: If that was Plankton...uh, oh.
- Only Sane Man: Played with—Squidward immediately figures out that Plankton's robot isn't Mr. Krabs. However, he goes along with it when Plankton gives him the rest of the day off.
- Paper-Thin Disguise: SpongeBob falls completely for Plankton's robot, despite being obviously made of metal and talking in Robo Speak in Plankton's own voice. Squidward doesn't fall for it, but plays along anyway when "Mr. Krabs" gives him the day off.
- Pinocchio Nose: A variant, every time Plankton/Robot Krabs says that he's Mr. Krabs, smoke puffs out from the robot's exhaust pipe.
- Pun-Based Title: A pun on the Japanese dish that doesn't have any crab but is made of flour and fish instead while still meant to mimic the taste of crab.
- Real Time: When SpongeBob somehow activates Robot Krabs coin-operated self destruct, it states the robot will self-destruct in ten seconds. Indeed exactly ten seconds elapse between that announcement and the time Robot Krabs explodes.
- Robot Me: Plankton creates a robot double of Mr. Krabs to get the Krabby Patty formula.
- Rocky Roll Call:Mr. Krabs: Plankton!
Mr. Krabs: Plankton!
- Saying Sound Effects Out Loud: After eating spaghetti, Robot Krabs says "Belch" rather than actually belching. Also, his Dramatic Gasp when Mr. Krabs appears is him just saying "Gasp".
- Secret Handshake: SpongeBob has a long, elaborate one with Mr. Krabs. It takes over six-and-a-half hours to do!
- Skyward Scream: When SpongeBob informs Mr. Krabs, who is wondering where Squidward is, that he gave Squidward the day off, Mr. Krabs' irises narrow to pinpricks, as he says, "Day..." and screams, "OOOOOOOFFFFFFFFFFFF?!?!?" Even better in Indonesian dub where it's turned into Angrish.
- Spot the Impostor: SpongeBob gives the two Krabs a series of questions he thinks only the real Mr. Krabs would know. The first two are generic questions that anyone who's been to the Krusty Krab can answer and Robot Krabs answers them both. The third question is one that is so complicated that even the real Krabs can't answer.
- Throwing the Distraction: To get rid of Krabs, Plankton throws a penny and Krabs follows it as it rolls out the door. It later rolls back inside, leading Krabs to Plankton just as he's about to get the formula.
- Title Drop: "So long, Imitation Krabs, bye-bye!"
- Too Dumb to Live: SpongeBob as usual, completely falling for Plankton's robot Krabs "disguise" every step of the way. Even worse during the Spot the Impostor part, where he's blatantly favouring the imitation Krabs to be the real one: When the real Krabs answers the second question correctly, SpongeBob asks another related question as if expecting the other Krabs (the imitation one) to answer it. Then during the third question, when the real Krabs failed to answer it, SpongeBob immediately kicks him out even though imitation Krabs hadn't even given an answer yet. To top it off, after he kicked out the real Krabs, he told the imitation Krabs that he "knew it all along" that he (the imitation) is the real Krabs. It's a miracle that Mr. Krabs doesn't fire him by the end of the episode.
- Plankton also counts. He rushed all the way back to the Chum Bucket as the self-destruct sequence nears its end, blowing up his own restaurant.