Canada airdate: August 17, 2001
SpongeBob, Patrick, and Squidward are shanghaied into serving on the Flying Dutchmans ghostly ship. Meanwhile, Patchy the Pirate hosts the "SpongeBob's You Wish Spectacular Special" while Potty the Parrot harasses him at every opportunity.
The special starts with Patchy the Pirate hosting the "SpongeBob's You Wish Spectacular Special" (in later airings, "Patchy's Pick") and, as a treat, shows the kids at home his favorite episode Shanghaied before Potty launches him from a cannon.
The real story begins with breakfast as SpongeBob pours a bowl of Kelpo cereal. When he cant find to find the toy inside SpongeBob hits the box. Immediately a giant anchor drops right into the kitchen and wrecks SpongeBobs house. SpongeBob and Patrick mistake the giant anchor as a sky baby while Squidward climbs up it to complain to the owner. The owner turns out to be the Flying Dutchman (or as SpongeBob call him the Red Baron). When the Dutchman demands why theyre there, SpongeBob and Patrick wind up telling the Dutchman that Squidward wanted to complain about his dirty ship or perhaps his dirty mother. Squidward is burned and the dimwit duo jump off the side. After a few more jumps and Squidward being burned to a crispier crisp, the Dutchman tells them theyll be forced to serve as his crew. Squidward complains about this demand and is thrown into the Fly of Despair a portal in the shape of pants zipper that opens into a horrible dimension full of monsters. SpongeBob and Patrick look on in horror and go along with the Dutchmans plans. The dimwitted duo proceed to be more of a hassle than theyre worth as they cant do the same things the Dutchman can do like phase through walls (they slam into them), create thunder and lightning (they blow bubbles and wobble metal), and spin their heads (they spin in a synchronized ice skating). The Dutchman sends them to their quarters and tells them hes going to eat them. SpongeBob and Patrick try to escape by running through the perfume department and steal the Dutchmans dining sock so he cant eat them. The endangered duo uses the sock as a bargaining chip so the Dutchman will give them three wishes. Patrick wastes the first one on wishing for time to go backwards (Wishes? I wish we had known that earlier!), SpongeBob wastes the second wish by Squidward was there (taking him from his bedroom back to the ship), and the tormented trio bicker over the last wish.
This is where Patchy comes in and presents the three endings of the episode and asks the kids at home to call in the number on the screen to make their choice. The first choice was Patrick wishing for a gum that never lost its flavor and thus theyre eaten by the Dutchman and beg to be let out. The second choice was Squidward: he wished that he never met SpongeBob and Patrick so the Dutchman makes them forget their first meeting. They still greet each other in the Dutchmans belly. The third (and chosen ending) was SpongeBobs. He wishes the Dutchman was a vegetarian so he wont eat them. The Dutchman still ruins their wish by turning them into fruit and trying to make them into a smoothie. The cartoon ends with them being chased by the Dutchman in the blender.
The show then changes back to Patchy greeting the audience. After a random outburst of telling the kids its time to walk the plank he changes gears to reading fan mail. Potty shows up with a lit fuse to do a planned stunt that they canceled at the last minute (that Potty never learned about). Potty blows up like a bomb and Patchy decides to end the episode there.
"Shanghaied" contains examples of:
- Acid-Trip Dimension: The "Fly of Despair" is full of freaky monsters and spaghetti and meatballs.
- Action Bomb: Potty becomes one in a trick gone wrong.
- And I Must Scream: In the alternate endings, Spongebob, Patrick, and Squidward are still alive while in the Dutchman's stomach.
- Ash Face: Patchy after Potty blows.
- Bait-and-Switch: After the Dutchman tells them that the 'crew for eternity' isn't working out, SpongeBob and Patrick think he's setting them free, but then he tells them he's going eat them.
- Do Not Taunt Cthulhu: Squidward's complaints to the Dutchman about being trapped on his ship and being part of his crew earn him a trip to the "Fly of Despair".
- Downer Ending: No matter what, the gang still gets eaten (or were about to in SpongeBob's wish).
- Eaten Alive: This literally happens in the alternate endings.
- Eldritch Location: The "Fly of Despair".
- Either/Or Title: The episode is called "As You Wish or Shanghaied" or "Patchy's Pick: Shanghaied".
- Evil Is Hammy: As the ship sails above an unsuspecting town, the Flying Dutchman decides to harangue his crew, who are... enthusiastic but unskilled.Flying Dutchman: What a night be this. Crew! Howl with me, so that we might set the seven seas, ablaze with fear! AWOOOOOOO!!!!
Patrick: Leedle leedle leedle!
Flying Dutchman: AWOOOOOOO!!!!
Patrick: Leedle leedle leedle!
Patrick: -whale noises-
Flying Dutchman: ... Ehhhhh, that'll do.
- Evil Laugh: The Dutchman belts out one and the "Fly of Despair" has a mean one echoing through it.
- Exact Words: How the Dutchmen screws over everyone in Squidwards wish.
- Four-Fingered Hands: Averted when the Dutchman counts to five.
- Hippie Van: The Flying Dutchman's ship gets turned into one (with a mast) after Spongebob wishes the Dutchman was a vegetarian.
- Idiotic Partner Confession: What makes the Dutchman burn Squidward. A lot.
- It's Raining Salesmen: SpongeBob and Patrick are harassed by overzealous perfume samplers despite it being clear they don't want any.
- Loophole Abuse: To prevent the Flying Dutchman from eating them, SpongeBob wishes he was a vegetarian. The Dutchman gets around this by turning them into fruits.
- Madness Mantra: "You're good!...You're good!...You're good!..."
- Minion with an F in Evil: SpongeBob and Patrick are bad at being scary, to say the least.
- Mood Whiplash: Played for Laughs when Patchy returns after the show (or after the commercial break in the "You Wish" airing), going off-script before pulling himself back together.Patchy: Ahoy children! I'm back! I hope all you boys and girls (got your votes in/enjoyed the show), because...it's time for you to walk the plank! (A time card reads "PLEASE STAND BY") (Cut back to Patchy, looking sheepishly at the camera) Oh, heheheh, sorry kids! What I meant to say was, it's time (to announce the winner/for fanmail)!
- Multiple Endings: And none of them work in the gang's favor.
- In Patrick's ending, he wishes for gum, stating that if he, SpongeBob and Squidward are to be on the ship forever, they "might as well have fresh breath." They then get eaten by the Dutchman.
- In Squidward's ending, he wishes he'd never met SpongeBob and Patrick before in his entire life. This backfires, of course, as while he does get his wish, they're still on the Dutchman's ship. They then get eaten.
- And in SpongeBob's ending (the ending that won the vote), he wishes that the Dutchman was a vegetarian, so that he can't eat him, Patrick and Squidward. They then seem to have made it back home...but they've been turned into fruit by the Dutchman. The trio try to run away, but the Dutchman gives chase.
- Mundane Wish: Patrick's wish for learning about wishes earlier only turns the clock back 5 minutes and his forever-flavored gum wish wasn't a good choice because it leads to his friends being eaten.
- Oh, Crap!: The gang learning they're trapped on the boat and Patchy and Potty learning neither were clear on the exploding stunt.Patchy: Oh, Potty! That fuse in your head! I told you we're not doing that stunt!Potty: Brawk, I didn't get the memo! Brawk!
- Off-Model: When Squidward is sent into the Fly of Despair, he is missing two of his legs.
- Plot Hole: In the ending with SpongeBob's wish, Squidward warns SpongeBob that they're about to be eaten by the Dutchman, despite not being present with SpongeBob and Patrick when the Dutchman announced he's going to eat them.
- Shanghaied: What happens to SpongeBob and Patrick when they "join" the Dutchman's crew.
- Surrounded by Idiots: The Flying Dutchman feels this way about having SpongeBob and Patrick as his crew.Little boy: Those guys are dorks.
Flying Dutchman: Yes, but they're my dorks.
- Take That!:
- The Flying Dutchman tells the trio that working as his crew will be "grueling, mind-numbing and repetitive, just like...daytime television."
- After the cartoon, Patchy informs the audience that they're now "official, big time, cartoon decision maker[s]." Cut to stock footage of a group of monkeys playing various instruments.
- Wrap Around Background: No matter how many times SpongeBob and Patrick jumped off, they kept landing back on the Flying Dutchman's ship.
United States airdate: July 26, 2003
Canada airdate: December 19, 2003
Its bath time for Gary, but he refuses to get in.
After SpongeBobs was chosen, this six and a half minute short is shown with it to fill for time after the ending was chosen. Its Garys bath time but he refuses to budge when SpongeBob tries to muscle him in. SpongeBob tries several different trick such as using a boomerang pet ball as bait (which really works and so does the box), to strapping a bomb to his chest that will explode if his pet doesnt get in the bath (which it does), to assaulting Garys mind with not-so-subliminal messages. His next trick is calling a fancy French restaurant as a threat but finds that he cant understand the receptionist. SpongeBobs next trick is playing leap frog to launch Gary into the tub but only succeeds in launching him into the wall. When he tries to do it again to a bandaged Gary, he gets a bonk to the head with a cane. SpongeBob tries to bribe Gary with a dollar but Mr. Krabs drives in with his tub to snag it and SpongeBobs fake pirate map plan ends with him sitting in the tub after falling from the ceiling a floor up. He decides to take matters into his own pores by sucking up all the water and spraying Gary with prejudice. Gary winds up stuck in a tree and SpongeBob sprays him. But it turns out to be a trick allowing Gary to strand SpongeBob in the tree. SpongeBob loses his balance and falls in the mud bellow. The episode ends with Gary having the last laugh as SpongeBob gets a bath.
"Gary Takes A Bath" contains examples of:
- Action Bomb: That bomb Sponge strapped to himself wasn't that good of an idea after all.
- An Aesop:
- Listen to your parents when they tell you to do something.
- Take a bath. It's simple hygiene.
- Black Comedy: Spongebob pretends to be a suicide bomber just so Gary will take a bath!
- Boomerang Comeback: The boomerang pet ball wasn't lying. And neither was the box.
- Bottle Episode: Only one voice actor, two characters (plus one cameo), and little change in location as it takes place largely in SpongeBob's house.
- Butt-Monkey: SpongeBob goes through a lot of pain and humiliation trying to get Gary to take a bath, and in the end he doesn't even succeed!
- Cats Hate Water: Which is why Gary refuses to bathe.
- Cat Up a Tree: What Gary makes SpongeBob think he is.
- Dope Slap: Gary bonks SpongeBob on the head with the cane when he tries to trick him into playing leap frog again, after the previous attempt got the snail injured.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: "Look Gary! Gold dubloons! (read: two soap bars) Don't drop them."
- Hates Baths: Gary of course.
- Hurricane of Puns: When SpongeBob tries to spray Gary he lets out a number of groan-inducing puns such as "Come back, Gary! I have something to chair with you" when he sprays his life preserver chair and "Dish is more like it" when he cleans the dishes by accident.
- Karma Houdini: Gary does not take a bath, nor is he punished for putting Spongebob through hell.
- The Last of These Is Not Like the Others: The subliminal image sequence ends with a freaky looking girl that was missing teeth.SpongeBob: Sorry you had to see that.
- Minimalist Cast: SpongeBob and Gary are the only characters in this episode. Mr. Krabs makes a cameo, but that's it.
- Never Trust a Title: Despite what it says, it's not Gary who ends up taking a bath.
- Nightmare Face: The goofy-looking girl who appears among SpongeBob's "subliminal messages". Fittingly, he's just as disturbed by that unintentional image as the audience is.
- Oh, Crap!:
- Gary's pupils widen when SpongeBob announces it's bath time. He later gets visibly alarmed when SpongeBob is about to douse him in water.
- SpongeBob freaks out when he sees just how high up he is.
- Rage Breaking Point: Exasperated by his pet's constant refusal to take a bath, SpongeBob resorts to sucking up the bathwater with the intention of spraying Gary with it.SpongeBob: Alright, Gary, you have duped and/or frustrated me for the last time!