Written by Clare OKane (Mall Girl Pearl) / Kyle McCulloch (Two Thumbs Down)
Storyboard by John Trabbic (Mall Girl Pearl) Fred Osmond (Two Thumbs Down)
Animation Directors: Alan Smart and Tom YasumiAirdate: March 12, 2016
"Mall Girl Pearl" contains examples of:
- A Day in the Limelight: While Pearl had several episodes focusing on her, this is her biggest role ever.
- Continuity Nod: Several one-off characters are seen walking around the mall, including the ice cream eel from "Walking Small", the didgeridoo player from "Something Smells", the comedian Dougie Williams from "Squirrel Jokes", the mime from "The Sponge Who Could Fly", and Carl from "Selling Out". Furthermore, a wall that says "Squidward Smells" and "Krabs is a" can be seen at one point, a nod to the dumpster from "Sailor Mouth".
- Family-Unfriendly Violence: The manager of Hot Dog on a String is seen cooked alive.
- Funny Background Event: Twice during the episode, we see Spongebob chasing Squidward through the mall. This is never explained.
- Never Mess with Granny: Beatrice gags Pearl's mean friends after they keep bullying her for working in her store.
- No Longer with Us: Beatrice shows Pearl that her previous worker is "no longer with us," complete with a cut to a framed picture with flowers as funeral music plays. Said worker then enters, grabs the sunglasses she forgot, and leaves.
- Special Guest: Betty White as Beatice and Aubrey Plaza as Nocturna.
"Two Thumbs Down" contains examples of:
- Has Two Thumbs and...: SpongeBob uses them a lot until he breaks them.
- Medium Blending: When SpongeBob breaks his thumbs, it shows a series of live action footage.
- Pet the Dog: When SpongeBob is shown to have difficulty flipping patties with broken thumbs, Squidward offers to help him, pointing out that his own thumbs work.
- The End: Appears at the very end of the episode.