SpongeBob's Frozen Face-Off
Everyone competes in a worm-sled race for one million clams, but it turns out to be a ploy by Plankton to get the Krabby Patty secret formula.
"SpongeBob's Frozen Face-Off" contains examples of:
- Bad Omen Anecdote: Mr. Krabs turns out to have already encountered the vicious Abominable Snow Mollusk currently terrorizing them all long ago as a young captain. SpongeBob assumes he defeated the monster single-handedly, or at least managed to pull off a daring escape, but in fact, not only did he and his crew get eaten whole, they had to wait to come out the old-fashioned way...
- Big "NO!": Mr. Krabs shout one after Karen turbo boost!
- Braving the Blizzard: The episode focuses on SpongeBob and his friends trying to get through a frozen wasteland.
- Danger: Thin Ice: Squidward wanders onto a frozen lake, which cracks under his weight, freezing him in a block of ice.
- Eaten Alive: Mr. Krabs tells a story about how he and his crew were eaten by the Abominable Snow Mollusk. This happens to Plankton at the end after the monster mistakes him for a jellybean.
- Eye Scream: Patrick's eyes have icicles sticking out of them at one point.
- Growling Gut:
- This happened to Mr. Krabs' worms, causing them to snarl and attack Mr. Krabs.
- This happened to SpongeBob too, after talking about his empty stomach.
- Harmless Freezing: Squidward gets frozen in a block of ice and remains that way for most of the episode. This eventually also happens to SpongeBob, Patrick, Mr. Krabs, Gary, and Karen, leaving Sandy to try and thaw them out.
- Here We Go Again!: Squidward says this word for word after Plankton escapes the Chum Bucket with the formula and the group have to chase after him.
- Kansas City Shuffle: Plankton had organized the snow race, so he can have the entire town distracted while Plankton steals the secret formula.
- Madeof Indestructium: The safe containing the formula. until it breaks apart via Plankton splitting an atom.
- Medium Blending: The Abominable Snow Mollusk is animated in stop-motion.
- A live-action nuclear explosion (like the one from "Dying For Pie") is seen.
- Meat-O-Vision: Sandy sees SpongeBob as a sponge kebab.
- Mistreatment-Induced Betrayal: Karen chooses to side against Plankton in the end out of anger for him leaving her to freeze in the blizzard.
- Oh, Crap!: After countless attempts to open the ludicrously durable safe fail, Plankton snaps and starts trying to tear it apart with his bare hands, "bit by bit (tears a tiny chunk of the safe in two)! Molecule by molecule (snaps a cartoon molecule in two)!" But then... "Atom by atom! (snap-in-two)" Plankton realizes his mistake right before we're treated to live-action footage of a nuclear explosion Which does finally open the safe.
- Oh, No... Not Again!: Squidward says this after he falls in a lake while avoiding the Abominable Snow Mollusk, and ends up frozen in a block of ice.
- Running Gag: Squidward falling into cold water and being frozen solid.
- Skewed Priorities: Mr. Krabs abandons SpongeBob and the others to venture through a blizzard on foot in order to finish the race and win the prize money for himself.
- Sled Dogs Through the Snow: Everyone competing in the race uses worms to pull their sled. With the exception of SpongeBob who uses Gary.
- Something We Forgot: After escaping the Abominable Snow Mollusk, SpongeBob realizes that Squidward is missing and they have to go back for him.
- Two Lines, No Waiting: SpongeBob and his friends try to finish a sled race through a frozen wasteland while Plankton tries to break open the safe containing the secret formula.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: None of the other contestants who were competing in the race are seen or heard from again.
- Would Rather Suffer: After Mr. Krabs abandons the sleigh and takes off by himself, he says "I'd sooner swallow a jellyfish than share the winnings with y-" right before a jellyfish flies into his mouth and stings him.