Squidward fakes being sick so he can skip work and relax at home, and SpongeBob thinks he caught the disease for real.
Squiditis contains examples of:
- Breather Episode: Sure this episode is light and comedic, but it's the sister episode that takes a slightly darker path.
- Brick Joke: When SpongeBob tries to comfort Squidward at home, he shows him a romantic comedy movie. At the end of the episode, when Mr. Krabs gets sick, SpongeBob pulls out a romantic comedy tape.
- From Bad to Worse: SpongeBob sticks his legs in the deep fryer in an attempt to cure Squid's Disease. He screams in pain, then tries to cool it off with cucumbers, but instead grabs pickles, which make the pain worse.
- Playing Sick: Squidward does this in an attempt to get sent home from work early.
- Punctuated! For! Emphasis!: "I've contracted...Squid's Disease!"
- Rule of Three: The symptoms of Squids Disease are a scratchy throat, itchy eyes, and a dry mouth.
- Sick Episode: Subverted. While SpongeBob thinks he has Squidward's "Squid's Disease," nobody is actually sick during the episode.
- Something Itis: Averted; the episode is titled "Squiditis" but the actual disease is called "Squid's Disease".
- Spit Take: Squidward does one when he finds out that SpongeBob is sent home because he really is sick.
- Title Drop: Surprisingly averted. The disease in the episode is called Squid's Disease, not Squiditis.
After SpongeBob injures Mrs. Puff to the point of being unable to puff again, she enrols him in a demolition derby in the hopes of getting him killed, but instead he becomes a racing superstar thanks to his bad driving.
Demolition Doofus contains examples of:
- An Aesop:
- Show respect for someone when they're not feeling well.
- Don't try to get rid of someone just because they cause trouble for you from time to time.
- Bullying the Disabled: SpongeBob cracking mean jokes about Mrs. Puff popping her inflation sac can surely count.
- Chekhov's Skill: SpongeBob's bad driving. It protects him from getting hurt because it makes him a completely impossible target to anyone, even Mrs. Puff.
- Continuity Nod: This wasn't the first time Mrs. Puff was completely deflated.
- The Dog Bites Back: Subverted. Mrs. Puff tries to get rid of SpongeBob because of what he did, but being an invertebrate, he's too squishy to crush to death.
- Didn't Think This Through: Mrs. Puff completely forgot SpongeBob is a sea sponge, which are invertebrates, as the first opponent that gets knocked out is slingshot back against his soft body. It also didn't occur to her that since he Drives Like Crazy, he's an impossible target for the other contestants.
- Drives Like Crazy: SpongeBob's weakness as usual, but it proves to be useful in the demolition derby as it causes him to become completely impossible to strike and obliterates the entire competition and ends up winning.
- Dude, Not Funny!: After Mrs. Puff learns she's going to be permanently disabled, SpongeBob tries to lighten the mood by telling her, "From now on, I guess we'll have to call you Mrs. Pop." Unsurprisingly, Mrs. Puff does not take this well.
- Evil Cripple: Never being able to puff again + wanting Spongebob dead = this.
- Foregone Conclusion: As Ax-Crazy Mrs. Puff is, SpongeBob cannot be killed and Mrs. Puff must regain her puff, because they both make it to The Movie.
- Gray-and-Gray Morality: While SpongeBob injuring Mrs. Puff was an accident, he shows no remorse for injuring her and goes so far as to crack jokes about her condition. On the other end, Mrs. Puff is hardly any better, since she enters him in the demolition derby specifically hoping he'll be killed, and takes matters into her own hands by trying to kill him herself when that fails.
- Imagine Spot: Mrs. Puff imagines SpongeBob getting smashed from all sides by thugs in cars and replaced with a gravestone.
- Irony: SpongeBob was entered in the derby so he can be murdered by the racers, yet his bad driving causes the other racers to be eliminated instead.
- Jerkass Ball: Happens to both SpongeBob and Mrs. Puff themselves. On one hand, Puff tries to murder SpongeBob, but he miraculously survives. On the other hand, SpongeBob also cracks jokes about Mrs. Puff's condition and shows no remorse for injuring her.
- Karma Houdini: Despite being arrested in other episodes, Mrs. Puff doesn't get arrested here, despite her trying to murder SpongeBob.
- Lack of Empathy: SpongeBob shows no remorse for crippling Mrs. Puff.
- Laser-Guided Karma: Both SpongeBob and Mrs. Puff get theirs (the former for making fun of the latter, the latter for trying to murder the former) when the Boating School collapses on them.
- Mondegreen: When Mrs. Puff shouts, "Why are you still alive?!", SpongeBob misinterprets this as "Put it in drive".
- Murder Is the Best Solution: What Mrs. Puff wanted to do to SpongeBob as payback for him insulting her. Unsurprisingly, he keeps succeeding.
- Near-Death Experience: SpongeBob was almost killed in the demolition derby, but survives thanks to being an invertebrate and his bad driving eliminating the other contestants.
- Never Say "Die": Played entirely straight. Mrs. Puff's idea is obviously to murder and kill SpongeBob (as shown in her vision), but she only refers to such vaguely throughout the episode. Nor does she ever say "die" or "kill".
- After hearing "risking our lives for our amusement", Mrs. Puff expresses "finally being rid of SpongeBob forever."
- When Mrs. Puff is livid when SpongeBob keeps winning, she yells out, "Why are you still alive?!"
- Mrs. Puff's ultimatum when he ends up winning the derby: "If you want someone demolished, I guess you have to demolish them yourself!"
- Nice Job Fixing It, Villain!: As the derby progresses, Mrs. Puff's idea to get SpongeBob murdered by the drivers goes downhill, as his bad driving causes the other drivers to crash instead.
- Nominal Hero: SpongeBob. The reason he ends up winning the demolition derby is because of his bad driving making him impossible to strike, and also because he's an invertebrate which is too squishy and can easily regenerate.
- Ocular Gushers: Mrs. Puff sheds them at one point as SpongeBob is surviving in the derby.
- Punctuated! For! Emphasis!: Mrs. Puff screams, "Why...are you still...ALIVE?!" as she sees SpongeBob has not gotten hurt one bit.
- Rage Breaking Point: SpongeBob surviving in the derby long enough to be considered the winner is enough to push Mrs. Puff's sanity over the limit that she enters the derby to take him out herself.
- Revenge: Over eight seasons of being maimed by SpongeBob, imprisoned because of SpongeBob, and never being able to get away from SpongeBob, no matter what she does, have finally driven Mrs. Puff over the edge, and after he laughs about crippling her, Mrs. Puff decides she wants him dead, and she becomes more furious when he survives in the demolition derby thanks to his bad driving making him a near-impossible target.
- Spanner in the Works: SpongeBob and his bad driving, which obliterate the competition resulting in Mrs. Puff's scheme ruined.
- Status Quo Is God: Mrs. Puff gets her inflation back at the end.
- Surprisingly Realistic Outcome: Very few people get killed, maimed, or otherwise injured in demolition derbies; SpongeBob exemplifies this since his bad driving plus being an invertebrate makes him completely invincible to any attack.
- Temporarily a Villain: Mrs. Puff.
- Throwing Off the Disability: Mrs. Puff, who was thought to never puff again, magically regains her puff.
- The Unapologetic: SpongeBob doesn't show any remorse for injuring Mrs. Puff.
- Unexpectedly Dark Episode: One of few "dark" episodes in the series, mostly around the point Mrs. Puff wants SpongeBob murdered in the derby and is furious when he doesn't get hurt.
- Unstoppable Rage: SpongeBob not getting killed in the demolition derby and instead becoming the champion makes Mrs. Puff unleash hers.
- Unknown Rival: Throughout the entire episode, SpongeBob literally has no idea Mrs. Puff was trying to kill him.
- Wingding Eyes: When Mrs. Puff is intimidated by SpongeBob making fun of her, her eyes inflate into miniature versions of him and explode.
- Why Won't You Die?: As SpongeBob is avoiding the other contestants at the derby by sheer luck, Mrs. Puff snarls, "Why are you still...ALIVE!?"