Mr. Krabs becomes obsessed when he thinks SpongeBob has found a penny.
"Penny Foolish" contains examples of:
- All That Glitters: After spending the episode obsessing over a penny SpongeBob picked up, he finds out that the penny was actually a wad of chewed gum SpongeBob wanted for his collection. Subverted when it turns out to be a crumpled up $500 bill.
- Hallucinations: When starting to become obsessed, Mr. Krabs hallucinates anything round as pennies.
- Running Gag: When Mr. Krabs is seen from a distance, people hear dolphin chirps.
- She Cleans Up Nicely: SpongeBob calls Squidward beautiful when he sees him dressed up.
- Shake Someone, Objects Fall: Mr. Krabs does this to SpongeBob to find the penny. It ends up making his brain fall out of his head.
- Worthless Yellow Rocks: Upon finding out that the piece of chewed-up gum is actually a $500 bill, SpongeBob tosses it aside in disappointment.
SpongeBob memorizes the entire history of boating for a field trip to a boating museum.
"Nautical Novice" contains examples of:
- Brick Joke: SpongeBob points out that the museum gets taken out to port for maintenance once a year. At the end, it turns out that the boat was moving precisely for this reason.
- Throw the Dog a Bone: After Mrs. Puff rips up SpongeBob's license, the engineer feels sorry for him and decides to reward SpongeBob for his bravery by giving him his Honorary Sea Legs.
- Yank the Dog's Chain: SpongeBob finally gets his license, only to get it ripped up upon learning the boat was being tugged by an engineer to Bikini Bottom for a checkup.