Air date: November 12th, 2007
SpongeBob and Patrick find the second half of an ancient amulet which helps them and co. get to Atlantis.
Atlantis SquarePantis contains examples of:
- An Aesop: As a guest, be sensitive of other cultures and your hosts' things.
- Art Shift: Features several, including the 3D bus interior, an old video game, and several different painting styles.
- Atlantis: The place where the gang goes to.
- But Now I Must Go: The gang leaves Atlantis at the end, and only SpongeBob is intent on returning home.
- Disco Tech: The fact that the Atlanteans have evolved beyond petroleum fuels and use song to power their vehicles instead kicks off the Excuse Plot for the musical.
- Equippable Ally: Sandy use SpongeBob as a shield, Patrick as a boomerang, Squidward as a gun ,and Mr. Krabs as a sword/chainsaw against the Atlantean guards.
- Extra-Long Episode: The first episode that is a full hour long.
- Family-Unfriendly Violence: SpongeBob and Patrick's flesh melt off at one point.
- Framing Device: The episode is framed by a subplot where Patchy comes home to find Encino disappeared.
- Gainax Ending: The live-action framing ends with Patchy discovering Encino had been shrunk by an alien, whose parents show up to set things right, accidentally turning Potty into a giant in the process.
- "I Want" Song: "The Bubble Song" deals with Spongebob hoping to blow a long-lasting bubble. Also "Fueling the Bus", which shows everyone's desires.
- Living Museum Exhibit: Plankton becomes this at the end of the episode to replace the recently-popped World's Oldest Bubble.
- Money Song: Mr. Krabs' "All This Money".
- Mood Whiplash: The closing song "Goodbye Atlantis" starts out with Spongebob tearfully voicing their departure, before immediately becoming happy again as he sings his excitement of returning home, much to the depression of the others.
- Musical Episode: It's justified (partially), though, in that Atlantean technology is powered by singing. Despite having David Bowie play a character, he never sings a single line.
- Running Gag: Every time Patrick takes a picture of a bubble, it pops.
- Shout-Out: The citizens of Atlantis resemble the Blue Meanie and Mark Chang.
- Special Guest: David Bowie as Lord Royal Highness.
- Trailers Always Spoil: This episode spoiled the climax where Plankton finds out he stole a tank that shoots ice cream. It wasn't like it was in a montage or anything either, they blatantly displayed it up front because they thought the punchline was funny enough to include. It got even worse when they put a Commercial Break Cliffhanger right before this moment.
- Two Halves Make a Plot: Spongebob and Patrick find half of an amulet and bring it to a museum, where the other half coincidentally resides.
- Villain Song: Plankton gets a full-blown Villain Song in "Atlantis Squarepantis", simply called "Plankton's Song".