SpongeBob buys a new pet translation collar for Gary, and everyone likes it except for Squidward.
"Chatterbox Gary" contains examples of:
- Affectionate Nickname: Gary calls SpongeBob "Papa Bob".
- Bait-and-Switch Comment: When SpongeBob asks Gary what he dreams about.Gary: Mostly, I dream of flying above it all...SpongeBob: Aww, that's sweet.
Squidward: Why would you wanna talk to him?SpongeBob: Who wouldn't wanna talk to their pet?Squidward: I was talking to Gary.
- When SpongeBob presents Gary to Squidward:
- Berserk Button: Gary does not take kindly to Squidward driving SpongeBob to tears with his horrible prank.
- Laser-Guided Karma: After seeing Squidward manipulate SpongeBob into digging himself into a hole, Gary throws the walkie-talkie down Squidward's throat and meows into it, attracting the attention of a bunch of vicious worms who attack Squidward.
- The Nicknamer: Gary has nicknames for all of SpongeBob's friends. Patrick is Stinky Man, Sandy is Hairy Astronaut Lady, and Squidward is Grouchy Man.
- Rake Take: Happens to Squidward after sneaking out of SpongeBob's house.
- Series Continuity Error: SpongeBob never had trouble understanding Gary before.
- Speaks Fluent Animal: SpongeBob claims he speaks fluent snail, but even he has a hard time guessing what Gary wants.
- Special Guest: Keith David as the voice of Gary's collar.
- The Television Talks Back: While is Squidward is watching a show to help him meditate, trying to be free of all distractions, his doorbell rings repeatedly as he tries to ignore it. When the doorbell continues ringing, the meditator comes out of the TV and yells, "WILL YOU ANSWER THE DOOR ALREADY?!"
- Translator Collar: The episode centers around Gary getting a collar that allows SpongeBob and everyone else to understand him.
- Voice Changeling: Squidward can do an impeccable impression of Keith David.
Don't Feed the Clowns
When a small clown is left behind by his traveling circus, SpongeBob offers to take him under his care.
"Don't Feed the Clowns" contains examples of:
- Burning with Anger: Both the CEO manager and the baker right before they fire Little Clown
- Clown Species: The clowns are presented as a separate species from those in Bikini Bottom, acting more like wild animals who do nothing but clown antics and come from an area where they run wild.
- Eye Scream: When Little Clown juggles some hot dogs, he throws the hot dogs into the customers eyes, causing them to scream.
- Distressed Damsel: Mrs. Puff gets trapped on the top floor of her boating school while it's on fire. Little Clown fails to rescue her and the school burns down around her.
- Pie in the Face: Little Clown does this during his brief stint as a baker, and again at the end to SpongeBob
- Screw the Rules, I'm Doing What's Right!: SpongeBob tries to return to the circus with a large bag of popcorn for the little clown, saying he doesn't care what the ringmaster says. However, the circus is already gone by that time.
- Series Continuity Error: Episodes like "Rodeo Daze" and "Tunnel of Glove" show SpongeBob being terrified of clowns.
- The Speechless: Little Clown and the other clowns don't speak due to behaving like wild animals.
- Title Drop: The ringmaster shouts the title at SpongeBob when the latter tries to feed Little Clown some popcorn.
- X-Ray Sparks: Happens to a fish who gets stung by multiple jellyfish.