Airdate: October 15, 2016
SpongeBob and Patrick get hooked on the latest fad flying your own brain like a tiny drone.
Whirly Brains contains examples of:
- Animation Bump: Bob Jaques, a former animator on The Ren & Stimpy Show, was the animation director on this episode; the animation is a lot more fluid and expressive than most of the show's episodes.
- Brain with a Manual Control: The whole plot of this episode revolves on SpongeBob and Patrick flying their brain like a drone.
- Continuity Nod: Mr Krabs and Mrs. Puff are shown dating, which is a callback to Krusty Love. Also, in the same scene, theres the words sharks and pods written in graffiti, referencing the episode Sharks vs Pods.
- Hypnotic Eyes: Seen on SpongeBob and Patrick when they get entranced by the Whirly Brains commercial.
- The Reveal: Mr. Krabs and Mrs. Puff have been secretly dating for 16 years since they first met in "Krusty Love".
- Sanity Slippage: Squidward goes crazy for most of his appearance in this episode thinking that SpongeBob and Patrick playing around with their brains are aliens.
- Special Guest: Ed Asner as the Angry Old Timer.
- Who Even Needs a Brain?: Type III
Airdate: October 29, 2016
SpongeBob and Patrick have fun playing Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy, and Mr. Krabs and Squidward decide to play along as the bad guys.
Mermaid Pants contains examples of:
- Epic Fail: Pretending to rob a bank.
- Lemony Narrator: The announcer, especially at the end of the episode.
- Mad Scientist: Squidward when he's dressed up as Dr. Negative.
- Shout-Out: "Do you expect us to cry?" "No, Mr. Bob! I expect you to fry!"
- Superhero Episode: This is the first "Mermaid Pants and Barnacle Star" episode. The second is "Man Ray Returns."