It's summer and there's no snow in South Park (the only time this ever happens in the show's history, even though later episodes don't always show snowy places), but due to a fireworks ban after a North Park kid gets injured, the boys can't play with fireworks and have nothing to do. Meanwhile, Mr. Garrison goes insane after Mr. Hat goes missing, Jimbo and Ned go to Mexico for illegal fireworks, and Cartman must contend with peeing first graders at the town swimming pool.
This episode contains the following tropes:
- Big Damn Heroes: Jimbo and Ned with fireworks from Mexico, which blow up the giant snake.
- Crossover: Dr. Katz shows up when Mr. Garrison seeks psychiatric help from him when he can't find Mr. Hat. He ends up getting killed by the ash snake.
- Didn't Think This Through: The giant snake manufacturer Lampshades this when their oversized snake causes mass damage to the town due to not anticipating how long it would run.
- Epic Fail: Making the giant snake and not accounting for when it'll stop.
- Jimbo keeps answering "yes" to the question "Are there any fireworks or explosives in your car?" when he's supposed to lie and say "no."
- The Mayor's excuse for why she doesn't make a public appearance after causing the giant snake incident is that she's sick. No one buys it for a second... until one of her aides quickly claims that she's having her period.
- Failure Is the Only Option: Cartman being able to swim in the pool without the 1st graders peeing in it.
- Jerkass: The kids discover that Pip has to attend summer school because he's an orphan. The boys use this as another excuse to mock Pip because having both parents dead reinforces what a loser he is.
- Jerkass BSOD: Mr. Garrison has a mental breakdown because Mr. Hat goes missing and ends up replacing him with Mr. Twig.
- Mistaken for Racist: Chef comes back from Aruba and sees everyone in blackface from the ash snow. He doesn't take it too well.
- They Killed Kenny Again: Kenny is killed by the giant snake as it rampages. He also dies in a brief flashback when a firework blows him apart.
- Throw the Dog a Bone: Cartman manages to make it to the deep end of the swimming pool by taking advantage of the pool's closure for the duration of the snake's rampage.
- Too Much Information: Dr. Katz's reaction when Garrison tells him of Mr. Hat's fantasy of being alone with Brent Farr and a bottle of Thousand-Island dressing.Dr. Katz: That I did not need to know.