Airdate: October 29, 1997
In the first Halloween episode, Kenny gets crushed by the MIR space station and comes back to life as a zombie (thanks to a morgue accident involving Worcestshire sauce and embalming fluid), causing a Zombie Apocalypse, which the town thinks is a pinkeye epidemic. Meanwhile, Cartman gets in trouble for wearing an Adolf Hitler costume to school and Stan breaks up with Wendy after she goes to school dressed as Chewbacca rather than Raggedy Ann.
"Pinkeye" contains examples of:
- Adolf Hitlarious: Cartman dresses up as Hitler for Halloween. All the others call him out for it. The school council forces him to watch a documentary about Hitler to school him, but it is a very shallow one that just tells the audience that Hitler was "a very naughty man", without explaining why. As a result Cartman likes Hitler even more and imagines himself in his place.
- All Men Are Perverts: As a zombie, Chef would rather read Crack Whore Magazine than try to eat anyone.
- An Arm and a Leg: When he goes to the doctor for help, Chef tries to prove the zombies got no feeling by ripping the arm off the featured patient. It turns out the guy was just there for a routine check-up, and he bleeds to death.
- As Long as It Sounds Foreign: The astronauts on MIR speak Russian-sounding gibberish which consists of Russian last names. Later on, when Cartman watches a video on Hitler, the German gibberish consists of made-up and reversed phrases, including "You don't know shit," and "You have lovely breasts," ending with "Goddammit!"
- Chainsaw Good: Stan and Cartman use chainsaws to fend off the zombies at the morgue. Kenny uses one to slice Kenny in half to end the zombie curse.
- Do Not Do This Cool Thing: In-universe. The PSA on Hitler never goes into detail on any of the monstrosities he committed and only succeeds in Cartman liking him more.
- Establishing Character Moment: Cartman's antisemitism is confirmed when he dresses as Adolf Hitler, to Kyle's disgust.
- Halloween Episode: The first in the franchise.
- Here We Go Again!: Subverted at the end, when Kenny returns only to immediately get killed again before he can bite anyone.
- I Was Young and Needed the Money: What Mrs. Cartman said to Cartman about being on the cover of Crack Whore Magazine. Stan and Kyle quickly say that it was this month's issue.
- I Wished You Were Dead: Stan says these words to Wendy following her inadvertently humiliating him at school. A few seconds later, she is zombified.
- Innocently Insensitive: Prior to the episode, Wendy told Stan to dress up like Raggedy Andy so she would dress up like Raggedy Ann. However, she chooses to dress up like Chewbacca instead, and gets Stan humiliated at school, but doesn't apologize for it. Later that night, she does feel regretful and tries to apologize to Stan, but he angrily dismisses her.
- Mathematician's Answer: Chef and Cartman exchange two of these in response to the latter's Halloween costumes.Chef: (sees Cartman dressed as Hitler) What in the Hell are you doing dressed like that?!
Cartman: Eating Kenny's pudding.
Chef: (sees Cartman dressed as a Klansman) Damn it boy, what in the Hell are you doing dressed up like that?!
Cartman: I'm trying to trick-or-treat, Goddammit!
- Michael Jackson's "Thriller" Parody: Once Chef becomes a zombie he dances along with the other zombies and is dressed in Jackson's outfit. Instead of the actual song, there's a Suspiciously Similar Substitute with (this being Chef) lyrics about making love.
- No Ontological Inertia: Played gruesomely straight. Killing the zombified Kenny magically turns all of the other undead denizens of South Park back to normal. Too bad it doesn't bring them back to life.
- No Swastikas: Since the phrase "Sieg Heil" is illegal in Germany, Cartman instead says "Wie geil!" (How cool!) in the German dub. However, Cartman's outfit was not censored, and neither was the educational video about Hitler.
- Noodle Incident: Chef says he's seen zombies before.
- Only Sane Man: Chef is the only one in town to recognize they've got a zombie problem.
- Our Ghosts Are Different: Because the school doesn't accept Cartman wearing a Hitler costume he is forced to change his outfit. The principal makes him a ghost costume, which unfortunately doesn't make him look less offensive, because now he looks like a member of the KKK.
- Patient Zero: Kenny McCormick becomes a zombie due to an accident at the morgue and spreads the infection throughout South Park.
- Pet the Dog: As a zombie, Kenny never made any attempts to eat Stan, Kyle or Cartman, and followed them around, as usual. It seems that even as a zombie, Kenny could still recognize who his best friends were.
- Really Gets Around: Mrs. Cartman's promiscuity was further established in this episode and it's also mentioned that she's on the cover of Crack Whore Magazine.
- Shout-Out: Zombie Chef's song and the dance routine is a parody of Thriller by Michael Jackson.
- Zombie Chef opening his jacket and going "OOOOOOOOH!" is from the music video of Michael Jackson's song "Black and White".
- Skewed Priorities: When the boys, save Kenny (who is a zombie) are told by Chef about the zombie attack on the town, they immediately come to the conclusion that if everyone's a zombie, there'll be no way for them to get candy from trick-or-treating.
- Stylistic Suck: The video about Adolf Hitler being a naughty man.
- Suspiciously Specific Denial: The Mayor and Officer Barbrady assure Chef that them being in her office with no pants on and a pile of money has absolutely nothing to do with the Japanese Mafia.
- Take That!:
Chef: We've got to do somethin' about the livin' dead.
- A few jabs at Tina Yothers here and there. For what it's worth, she told Matt Stone that she thought it was funny.
Mayor: You mean Tina Yothers? [she and Barbrady laugh]
- When Cartman's mom sings about decorating her house, she hangs a picture of Richard Nixon on the front door during the line "creepy, crawly things".
- They Killed Kenny Again: Kenny is crushed by the MIR space station and due to the morgue accident involving Worcestshire sauce, is revived as a zombie. Kyle later kills him to end the zombie attack since he was the start of it. And then after being buried, he rises from the dead only to be crushed by a statue and a plane.
- Unusually Uninteresting Sight: While trick-or-treating, the boys happen to pass by the zombies running amok throughout the neighborhood. They don't even acknowledge it.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Stan gives Wendy an earful after she doesn't go as Raggedy Ann when they were going to go as Raggedy Andy and Ann together but she decided to go for the Chewbacca costume. They make up after the zombie attack is over.
- Would Hurt a Child: Invoked when Chef says, "Remind me to whup your ass good next time I see you," to Cartman. Justified since Cartman was (unknowingly) dressed as a Klansman.
- Wrong Genre Savvy: Decomposing bodies? Hungry for human flesh? Slow movements and speech? Yep, definitely pink eye.