Airdate: February 4, 1998
A new kid in school turns out to be the son of Satan, but that doesn't stop the other kids from picking on him. Meanwhile, everyone passes up Cartman's birthday party for a boxing match between Jesus Christ and the Devil.
This episode provides examples of...
- All Jews Are Cheapskates: Invoked. Cartman opens an Ants in the Pants game instead of the Red Mega Man he wanted. He then calls Kyle, who is Jewish, a "dirty cheap-ass piece of crap".
- Balloon Belly: Cartman is noticeably fatter in the last scene, having gorged on most of the leftover food from his birthday party.
- Baleful Polymorph: Damien turns Kenny into a duck-billed platypus.
- Devil in Plain Sight: Almost literally! Damien doesn't even hide the fact that he's the son of Satan, flames burn in his eyes to the tune of some Ominous Latin Chanting, and he openly displays his magical powers. Everything he does is treated as an Unusually Uninteresting Sight.
- Early Installment Weirdness:
- Butters appears as a nameless student that most audibly screams in a feminine voice.
- This is one of very few occasions in the show when Satan is shown acting as an outright villainous character, albeit while enacting a scheme that falls very much on the Evil Is Petty side.
- Easily Forgiven: Jesus forgives the adults for turning their backs on him because, after all, he's Jesus.
- Entitled Bastard: Cartman completely loses his shit, ends his birthday party early, and throws everyone just because Kyle didn't get him the present he wanted (because Kyle was having trouble finding said present).
- Freak Out!: In exchange for attending his party, Cartman demanded the other kids follow his present guideline to the letter. Kyle, however, got him Ants In The Pants because the stores were out of Red Mega Men.Cartman: YOU SON OF A BITCH! YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO GET ME THE RED MEGA MAN, EH! NOW I CAN'T MAKE THE ULTRA MEGA MEGA MAN, YOU DIRTY CHEAP-ASS PIECE OF CRAP!
Kyle: They were all out of 'em dude!
Cartman: I HATE YOU! I WANT YOU TO DIE! DIE!! That's it! Party is over! Everybody go home!
- Generation Xerox: Bill and Fosse's fathers are shown briefly, and look and act just like their sons, right down to the "that's gay!" catchphrase.
- Hypocritical Humor: When Jesus calls out the townspeople for changing their bets to Satan winning, Father Maxi condemns them all for turning their backs on their savior. Jesus then points out that he knows Maxi changed his bet too.
- I Just Want to Have Friends: Damien.
- I Warned You: Jesus warned everyone not to bet on Satan. They did anyway and suffered for it.
- Jerkass Has a Point: Can you really blame Damien for all the trouble he caused after the way the other students treated him?
- Mythology Gag: During Satan and Jesus' boxing match, the public starts cheering for Satan, but stop when Jesus gives them a stern look. The exact same gag appeared in the original The Spirit of Christmas short, with Santa Claus in place of Satan, and Stan and Kyle representing the public.
- Letting the Air Out of the Band: Happens when Jesus gets a Heroic Second Wind and throws a punch at Satan, which immediately turned out to be ineffectual.
- Off-Model: Token becomes white for a frame (when Jimbo insists that platypus Kenny is "coming right for us!"). The "white Token" blooper can be seen at other points in season 1, sometimes with the white version as a separate character model even alongside Token.
- Ominous Latin Chanting: Parodied. The son of Satan's arrival in town is accompanied by a choir of voices chanting "Rectus Dominus Cheesy Poofs" which is obviously supposed to be Canis Latinicus for "Ass Master, Cheesy Poofs" can actually be translated as "Straight master, Cheesy Poofs".
- Shout-Out: Stan tries to inspire Jesus by telling him "You know, somebody once said. 'Don't try to be a great man, just be a man'" and then saying it was Jesus who said it.
- They Killed Kenny Again: "Ned, look! There's a rare duck-billed platypus! I-it's comin' right for us!"
- Throwing the Fight: What Satan does. He knew the townspeople would bet on him because he's the larger and more muscular of the two, so while everyone else changed their bets, he secretly bet on Jesus to win. He drags out the fight until Jesus finally throws a punch and immediately takes a dive. He proceeds to mock the townspeople for falling for this trick.
- Ungrateful Bastard: Pip was the only boy in school who treated Damien with kindness and befriended him. Damien rewards him by blowing him up and using him as a firework so that all the other kids will like him better.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Jesus calling out of the townspeople for betting on Satan to win, calling them Judases when they claim they're going to change their bets back to Jesus but don't mean it.