For his birthday, Craig gets $100. Some time after that, Peruvian flute bands start cropping up and the main four (Stan, Kyle, Kenny, and Cartman) see it as an opportunity to make money.
After getting Craig to go along with their scheme, Homeland Security think the flute bands are a threat and order them locked up.
This proves not to be a good idea.
Tropes for Pandemic:
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever: South Park is attacked by giant guinea pigs.
- A Day in the Limelight: For Craig. Two days, including the next episode, but they directly tie into each other.
- Continuity Nod: Kyle freaks out at the thought of going to Peru, with Stan saying a friend of their's got raped there. This is referencing the episode "The China Problem", which focused on how Steven Spielberg and George Lucas "raped" Indiana Jones with Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, which mainly takes place in Peru.
- Felony Misdemeanor: The pan flutists are treated as a public menace and deported en masse, despite being only mildly annoying at worst.
- Supernatural Repellent: Turns out the pan flute players are the only thing keeping the giant guinea pigs from attacking.
- Roger Rabbit Effect:Those are actual live action Guinea pigs that were inserted into the show.
- Terrifying Pet Store Rat: The giant guinea pigs are treated as horrifying by the characters, yet they do nothing but stand and crawl around.
- Two-Part Episode: This episode and the next; "Pandemic 2."