Originally aired May 14, 2009
Written by Brian Peterson & Kelly Souders
Directed by James Marshall
Clark enlists the help of Bart and Dinah to take down Doomsday...with shocking consequences for everyone involved.
Tropes present in the episode:
- Antagonist Title: The episode's title refers to Doomsday, the Big Bad of Season 8.
- Big "WHY?!": Davis shouts this after he stabs Jimmy upon overhearing that Chloe only ran away from Smallville with him to protect Clark and not because she loved him.Davis: So, um, this whole time that you were with me...it was for Clark? [...] How could you do this? I loved you. You're the only one who ever loved me. Why? WHY?!
- Blood from the Mouth:
- Clark, after Doomsday punches him several times.
- Jimmy, after being stabbed by Davis.
- Character Death: Jimmy Olsen.
- Death by Secret Identity: A non-villainous example. Jimmy dies at the hands of Davis not long after he learns the truth about Clark.
- Designated Girl Fight: Tess and Lois over the location of the Orb. It ends with Lois accidentaly picking up the Legion ring and sending her to the future.
- Despair Event Horizon: Davis finding out that Chloe left town with him to keep Clark safe pushes him to fatally wound Jimmy and try to kill Chloe in a rage.
- Died in Your Arms Tonight: Jimmy dies in Chloe's arms.
- Enemy Without: Davis, after Chloe uses Black Kryptonite to separate him from Doomsday.
- Event Title: The title of the episode also refers to the deaths of Jimmy (who's killed by Davis), Davis (who dies after being mortally wounded by a dying Jimmy), and Clark (who declares himself "dead" in a metaphorical sense).
- Heroic BSoD: After Davis murders Jimmy, Clark becomes convinced that his human side is dangerous and renounces it.Clark: Clark Kent is dead.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Jimmy, while dying from a fatal stab wound, tackles Davis as he advances on Chloe in a murderous rage, and ends up impaling him on a spike.
- Hes Back: Zod, at the very end of the episode.
- Humans Are the Real Monsters: Clark starts leaning toward this line of thinking after Davis, separated from Doomsday, murders Jimmy in a jealous rage.Clark: Oliver was right. I put humanity on a pedestal. It wasn't a Kryptonian beast that killed Jimmy. It was a human.Chloe: I was standing right here, Clark; I know full well who killed Jimmy.Clark: This place, Chloe, just get rid of it. Just walk away and don't look back.Chloe: You don't get it, Clark. Jimmy is here; he's watching over me. He knew me so well, he knew this place would be perfect. Jimmy wanted to know that, no matter where I was in this city, I could look up here and see this beacon: The watchtower. And look—Dinah, Oliver, and Bart all disappeared. Maybe it's up to us to bring them back home.Clark: Home? I don't have a home.Chloe: I don't like the way that sounds.Clark: I've always tried to forget I was an alien, or a creature. I've always tried to pretend I was human. I was raised to believe it was my Kryptonian part that was dangerous, Chloe, but I was wrong. It's my human side. It's the side that gets attached, the side that makes decisions based on emotions. That's my enemy. And Davis proved that to me.
- Killed Off for Real: Jimmy dies, but not before taking Davis with him.
- Plot Device: A chunk of Black Kryptonite, which Chloe later uses to separate Davis from Doomsday.
- Sanity Slippage: Davis finally snaps after learning Chloe left Smallville with him to protect Clark and not because she had feelings for him. He follows on this by trying to murder Chloe, only for Jimmy to use the last of his strength to tackle him and impale him.
- Season Finale: The show's eighth.
- Single Tear: Oliver, at Jimmy's funeral.
- Snark-to-Snark Combat: Tess and Lois engage in this while fighting for real.
- That Man Is Dead: Clark renounces his human identity.Clark: I've always tried to pretend I was human. I was raised to believe it was my Kryptonian part that was dangerous, Chloe, but I was wrong. It's my human side. It It's the side that gets attached, the side that makes decisions based on emotions. That's my enemy. And Davis proved that to me.Chloe: So, because of some psychopath, you're gonna cut the rest of us out of your life? Clark, human emotion is what made you the hero that you are today.Clark: They're what's stopping me from being the hero I could be. It's what the world needs now.Chloe: What are you saying?Clark: Clark Kent is dead. Goodbye, Chloe. [turns and leaves]