Thomas is feeling in a really sad mood because he's reminiscing about his first love, with whom he had a rough break-up that is still hurting him despite happening months ago. Looking for a way to cheer him up, Logan has the idea that indulging in nostalgia and in good memories of the past could inspire him hope for the future. In order to do that, Thomas and the Sides travel to Patton's room which is full of items of Thomas' past, like his old toys, his text books from college, old poems he wrote, trophies he won for his work in theater. When they have been them for some time, Virgil suddenly starts feeling bad, like on the verge of having a panic attack, and Logan realizes that it's been a mistake getting into Patton's room, but neither Thomas nor Patton and Roman want to listen to Logan when he tells them that they must get out of there quickly, so mesmerized they are by the memories of the past.
- Break the Cutie: There's a change in Patton's dynamic starting with this episode. From the carefree comic-relief he was in earlier episodes, in this episode and its follow-up he's given a sad background that fleshes him out as a character and gives him a whole new dimension. It is also established that Patton encompasses all of Thomas' feelings, not just the happy ones.Logan: All of this because Patton can't let go of one person?
Patton: [angry and sad yell] Logan, can you stop!? [beat with a sad face] ...please?
- Cliffhanger: Logan storms out of the room, Virgil is on the verge of having a panic attack, Roman asks if the others remember the fifth season of Lost... and to be continued, guys, gals and non-binary pals. This time it is lampshaded for laughs by Patton, Roman and Virgil.
- Easter Egg: It is hard to notice just by watching the episode on a roll, but Virgil's answers to Roman's suggestions are, in order, "Stop!", "Don't!", "No!", and "Please!". "Stop... Don't... No... Please" is a line that appears on the song "Mama, I'm a Big Girl Now", from the musical Hairspray.
- Happy Place: Patton's room is this, and everyone entering it experiments "a jolt of happiness".
- Ignored Expert: Logan was ignored by Thomas, mocked by Roman and shouted at by Patton when Virgil showed the first signs of a panic attack that announced a worsening in Thomas' anxiety if they stayed in Patton's room for too long, so he, offended, left them on their own.
- I Was Quite a Fashion Victim: Played for Laughs by Roman, who pulls out his old prince outfit, as if it was from decades ago, saying it looks so embarrasing now, despite the fact that, as Virgil points out, they changed only one episode earlier.
- "Just Joking" Justification: Roman keeps bringing out creepy ideas to bring Thomas' ex-boyfriend back, Virgil shuts him down and Roman's excuse is always that he was joking.Roman I'm not creepy! I'm joking! You just don't understand love. [...]
Roman: It was only a joke, dude, have you heard of them? I mean...! [...]
Roman: Look up the word "joke" in a dictionary, Jack Smellington!
- "No. Just... No" Reaction: Virgil's reactions to Roman's creepy ideas to bring Thomas' ex-boyfriend back.
- The One That Got Away: Thomas is in a sad mood because he's remembering a former boyfriend with whom he broke up several months ago.
- Sound-Effect Bleep: For the first time in the series, one of the characters curses without being stopped. In this case, it was Virgil, saying the sh... word. He was bleeped out and his mouth covered with a black square. It wouldn't be the last time by any means.Virgil: OH, Sh... [bleep] ! I thought we were over this!
- Speak in Unison: This is the first sign that something's really wrong with Patton:Logan: Perhaps that will make him understand that circumstances can improve.
Roman: Can and will?
Logan: Can. Let's not jump the gun here.
Virgil and Patton: [overlapping with the same dejected face and voice] Can they...?
[All the Sides, including Virgil, stare at Patton. Patton notices it and sports an over the top smile.]
- Wham Episode: Patton's room is revealed.
- "Yes"/"No" Answer Interpretation: This example right when Virgil's panic attack is beginning.Logan: ...their anxiety worsens.
Thomas: Virgil, that's not happening, right?
Virgil: [tempest tongue] NO... [covers his mouth with his hand]
Logan: I'll take that as a "yes".