Kharshai's in a sticky situation as the quest begins, but that's only the tip of the iceberg. The Mahjarrat are dying...and there's no way they're going quietly.
Join the great and the mighty on an epic jaunt across worlds, relive one of the defining moments of Gielinor's history, and prepare to find out what will happen when Zaros and Zamorak finally meet again.
This quest contains the following tropes:
- But Now I Must Go: Following the conclusion of the quest, Kharshai announces his plans to leave Gielinor altogether and explore other worlds.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Zaros overwhelms Zamorak during their confrontation in Freneskae, disintegrating the god of chaos's wings in the process.
- Don't Create a Martyr: Overwhelmed by Zaros during their rematch on Freneskae, Zamorak transfers his energy into the other Mahjarrat present, and Zaros subsequently halts his attack, refusing to let his former general go down in the name of the Mahjarrat's survival.
- Empty Shell: Mah is little more than a lifeless husk after her "daughter", Seren, Mercy Kills her.
- Fate Worse than Death: In the climax of the quest, Seren discovers to her horror that Zaros' machinations have rendered their mother, the Elder God Mah, catatonic, and after a trip into her mind in an attempt to save her, discovers that Mah feared all of her children, including Seren. Not wanting her to live with that fear and suffering anymore, she ends Mah's life, saving Freneskae but putting her in conflict with the rest of the eponymous Children, especially her brother Zaros.
- I Gave My Word: Enforced; as Zaros is bound by the terms of the Vinculum Juris he forged with Zamorak, he performs the very last Ritual of Rejuvenation and ends the need for Mahjarrat to peform further rituals. Zamorak, in turn, must fulfill one request by Zaros come the day of Sliske's endgame.
- Killed Off for Real: Seren reluctantly puts Mah out of her misery, and is now nothing more than an empty husk.
- Leonine Contract: Zaros and Zamorak form a demonic pact with each other called the Vinculum Juris, in which the parties involved must uphold a promise to the other, or else cease to exist. Zaros performs the very last Ritual of Rejuvenation on the spot and ends the need for Mahjarrat to perform further rituals, while Zamorak is to fulfill one request by Zaros come the day of Sliske's endgame.
- Luke, I Am Your Father: Zamorak is revealed to be the son of Khazard during the former and Zaros's confrontation in Freneskae.
- An Offer You Can't Refuse: Zamorak's aversion to form the Vinculum Juris with Zaros stems from his concerns over what Zaros would do with the Stone of Jas. Left with little choice, he forms the pact to ensure the Mahjarrat tribe's survival.
- Papa Wolf: Zaros attempts to use Khazard as an example to demonstrate what would happen to a Mahjarrat when channeled with Mah's energy. Zamorak, however, has none of it, and quickly locks himself in battle against Zaros.
- Pyrrhic Victory: While the quest ultimately concludes with the survival of the Mahjarrat thanks to Zamorak, he feels conflicted following his confrontation and pact binding with Zaros.
- Rage Breaking Point: Seren eventually loses her composure and explodes, causing a tremor in Freneskae, after Zamorak and the Mahjarrat relentlessly slam her for contributing to the Mahjarrat's dwindling numbers.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Zamorak doesn't sugarcoat his words when he slams Seren for contributing to the dwindling population of the Mahjarrat and Mah's recent demise."You do not get to be sorry. You are the cause of so much loss, so much misery...even the death of your own mother!"
- Rejected Apology: Seren explains her reasons for teaching the Ritual of Rejuvenation to the Mahjarrat under the guise of Mah, and tries to apologise for contributing to the demise of the Mahjarrat. Zamorak, however, quickly shoots down her apology.
- Taking the Bullet: Zaros tries to channel Mah's energy into Khazard, but Zamorak interferes and locks himself in battle against the god of fate and control, and gets overwhelmed in the process.
- They Died Because of You: The Rituals of Rejuvenation turn out to be nothing more than a farce which costed the lives of many Mahjarrat over the history of their existence, all so Seren could restore Mah of her energy and prevent her from tearing apart Freneskae.
- You Are Too Late: Despite the World Guardian and Seren's best efforts, they are ultimately unable to save Mah, who now lives little more than an agonising existence, following Zaros's ritual. Unable to watch Mah suffer any longer, Seren puts her to sleep permanently.