The seventh episode of the third season of Rugrats.
When Wishes Come True:
Furious that Angelica knocked over his blocks, Tommy wishes for something bad to happen to Angelica, but upon seeing a statue of her, thinks that his wish came true.
Angelica Breaks a Leg:
Angelica pretends to break her leg so that Stu and Didi will dote on her, and she gets her wish due to a mix-up in the medical records.
It's mostly known as the one with the infamous "Because I've Lost Control of My Life" scene.
"When Wishes Come True" provides examples of:
- ...And 99¢: Drew buys Charlotte a present that he shows to Stu first. In Drew's words, "It's brilliant, it's stunning, it's masterful!" And in Stu's words, "... it's Angelica." More specifically, a life-sized statue of Angelica, which cost $469.57, according to Drew.
- Be Careful What You Wish For: After Angelica intentionally wrecks the babies' "sculpture" (a bunch of blocks stacked on top of one another somewhat haphazardly), Tommy wishes that "the baddest thing in the whole world happens to Angelica" (possibly meant to be a euphemism for wishing death upon someone). A bug zapper lights up and sparks as he says this, and the babies think this means that the wish came true. They later find Drew's statue of Angelica, believing that Tommy's wish turned Angelica to stone. Tommy is deeply regretful when he realizes he went too far in the heat of the moment.
- Bread, Eggs, Breaded Eggs:
Lil: [about Angelica] There's nothing worser than turning into a rock! ... 'cept maybe turning into mashed peas.
- This exchange:
Phil: Or bat drool!
Both: Or mashed peas and bat drool! [Phil and Lil laugh]
Lil: Or eyeballs!
- Also, at the end of the episode, when the babies think twice about making a wish that may end up turning them into a rock:
Phil: Or worm guts!
Both: Or eyeballs and worm guts!
- Continuity Nod: Didi tells Grandpa that he got a phone call from Morgana.
- Human Ladder: Tommy, Phil, and Lil form one when they attempt to get cookies for the Angelica statue, believing they will turn Angelica back to normal.
- If You Can Read This: This episode opens with the babies building a "sculpture" with building blocks (that Tommy calls "Three Babies and a Guitar"). As the camera pans up, one can see that from bottom to top, one row of blocks reads "RUGRATZ."
- Ironic Echo: At the beginning of the episode, Angelica calls the babies block tower "A mess". Near the end of the episode, when Stu attempts to fix Drew's statue of Angelica, Drew calls it "A mess".
- Literally Shattered Lives: Tommy believes this to have happened to Angelica when he, Phil, and Lil accidentally break the Angelica statue.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Tommy regrets wishing something bad would happen to Angelica when he sees the Angelica statue, believing his wish turned her to stone. He feels even worse when he, Phil, and Lil accidentally break the statue.
- Parenting the Husband: When Stu can't find his underwear, Didi asks him if he checked his underwear drawer.Didi: I swear, I love him, but sometimes I think that man couldn't find his nose if he had his finger...
- Rousing Speech: Subverted when Tommy tries to convince Chuckie, Phil, and Lil that they have to turn Angelica back to normal.Tommy: We can't just leave Angelica this way forever!
Lil: Why not?
Tommy: Well, because... Angelica's not just a big old mean kid who likes to push us around and pull our hair and make us eat old green stuff from under the couch!
Chuckie, Phil, and Lil: She's not?
Tommy: No! She's a lot more than that! She's the one who's been there before us! She's the one who shows us the way! Sure she's hard on us! She's gotta be hard! But she's our friend, and we gotta help her!
[beat as Chuckie, Phil, and Lil stare blankly at Tommy.]
Tommy: Plus, if we don't turn her back into real, we're gonna get into a lot of trouble.
[Chuckie, Phil, and Lil all immediately and enthusiastically agree to help.]
- Shout-Out: When Lou is trimming the bushes he says, "Read my clips. No new branches!"
- Taken for Granite: Played with; when Tommy wishes something bad would happen to Angelica, they mistake Drew's statue of her for her being turned into stone.
"Angelica Breaks A Leg" provides examples of:
Stu: Making chocolate pudding.
Didi: Its four oclock in the morning, why on Earth are you making chocolate pudding?
Stu: Because Ive lost control of my life.
- Accidental Misnaming: Dr. Doozer refers to the Pickles family as "Peaches", which comes into play when he mixes up Angelica's X-Ray with that of a football player named Antonio Peaches.
- Annoying Patient: Angelica fakes a broken leg, almost causing Didi and Stu to have a nervous breakdown. She even made Stu make her pudding at 4 in the morning. In the end, Charlotte comes home with a real broken leg, and is just as demanding to Angelica and Drew as Angelica was.
- Attention Whore: Because Drew and Charlotte spoil her, Angelica feels slighted when she's treated like anything but royalty. She gets the idea to pretend her leg is broken when she sees a soap opera.
- Body Horror: Unfortunately for Antonio Peaches, the football player whose X-ray was mixed up with Angelica's, Dr. Doozer found out his leg was actually broken a little too late. It is then revealed that Antonio injured his broken leg even more when he played in a football game.
- Bratty Food Demand: As one of her ways of exploiting her alleged injury to get what she wants, Angelica demands chocolate pudding from Stu in the middle of the night, only to later decide that she doesn't want it after all. Near the end of the episode, karma catches up with Angelica when Charlotte, who injured her leg for real, demands her and Drew to bring her whatever food she needs, which ironically enough, includes chocolate pudding.
- Call-Back: When Tommy tells Angelica that he's tired, he mentions that he always takes a nap after he watches Captain Blasto, a Show Within a Show previously seen in "Superhero Chuckie".
- Deadpan Snarker:
- When Angelica gets stuck watching Fishing With Stan and Orville with Lou, Lou falls asleep. Upon seeing this, Angelica says, "Guess the excitement was too much for him."
- Stu's latest toy is a "hippo-copter," which he says he is having trouble getting to work. Didi replies "Stu, if hippos were meant to fly, they wouldn't weigh 3,000 pounds."
- Expy: Dr. Doozer is a parody of Doogie Howser, M.D..
- File Mix Up: Angelica fakes a broken leg (to force her aunt and uncle to look after her like her own parents normally do). She succeeds when a young doctor gets "Pickles" mixed up with "Peaches" and looks at the wrong x-ray.
- Failed a Spot Check: Antonio Peaches' X-ray has one of his broken bones piercing right through the skin, but Dr. Doozer doesn't realize this when he actually looks at Angelica's leg.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: When Stu brings Angelica her chocolate pudding, Angelica is watching TV. The sounds in the background make it sound like she's enjoying a war movie. And laughing uproariously.
- Gilligan Cut:
Lou: 20 minutes to Fishing With Stan and Orville! Sure you don't want to join me?
- After Tommy falls asleep after watching Captain Blasto, this exchange occurs:
Angelica: Yeah, right! I'm really gonna watch a fishing show!
[Cut to Angelica watching "Fishing With Stan and Orville" as Lou falls asleep.]
Angelica: Guess the excitement was too much for him.
Angelica: Uncle Stu, I want some chocolate pudding.
- Stu and Didi are forced to wait on Angelica hand and foot due to an (alleged) fractured fibula. Eventually, in the middle of the night...
Stu: It's three o'clock in the morning, I'm tired, and we don't have any chocolate pudding.
Angelica: (attempting to guilt-trip Stu) Oh! OH, the pain! *clutches leg*
Stu: Angelica, we don't have any chocolate pudding.
Angelica: There must be a store open somewhere...
Stu: Angelica, I'm not going out at three in the morning to buy you chocolate pudding, and that's final.
(cut to Stu walking into a 24-hour convenience store)
Stu: Where's the chocolate pudding?
- Here We Go Again!: At the end of the episode, Charlotte breaks her leg for real, and now Angelica and Drew have to make her comfortable the same way Stu and Didi did with Angelica.
- Injured Limb Episode: Zigzagged. Even though the episode is called "Angelica Breaks a Leg", Angelica merely pretends that her leg is broken to garner attention from Stu and Didi, and gets her wish due to a mix-up in the medical records. However, Antonio Peaches and eventually Charlotte end up breaking their legs for real.
- Laser-Guided Karma: After spending the whole episode tormenting Stu and Didi with ridiculous demands, the doctor calls and lets them know Angelica's leg is fine, while shortly after, it is revealed that Charlotte broke her leg for real, so Drew forces Angelica to help him cater to Charlotte.Drew: Angelica, do you know how to make chocolate pudding?*Angelica shoots a Thousand-Yard Stare at the screen*
- Never Say "Die": Averted. When Dr. Doozer first looks over the X-rays, the folder on top is for an Anita Peepers and is marked "DOA" (i.e. dead on arrival) in bold red letters.
- Never Trust a Title: Despite what this episode's title says, Angelica never actually breaks her leg.
- Obfuscating Disability: Angelica pretends to break her leg by shoving a bowling ball down the stairs in an attempt to garner tons of attention from Stu and Didi. Thanks to a very young doctor, her X-rays are mixed up with those of a football player's, leading him to believe that Angelica's leg really is broken. The doctor does realize his mistake later, but not before Stu very nearly has a major breakdown.
- "Oh, Crap!" Smile: "Mr. Peaches... I guess I owe you an apology too."
- Out of Focus: This episode is one of the few to not prominently feature the babies. Tommy himself only gets a couple of scenes.
- Scream Discretion Shot: After Angelica says she doesn't want the chocolate pudding that Stu made for her, a view of the outside of Tommy's house is shown as Stu screams.
- Screams Like a Little Girl: Stu does this when Angelica decides she doesn't want the chocolate pudding he made for her.
- "Shaggy Dog" Story: Late one night, Angelica asks Stu to make chocolate pudding for her. When Stu explains that they're out of pudding mix, Angelica insists that he make her some anyway. Stu then goes out to a late night grocery store to buy pudding mix, and as he mixes pudding at 4 AM, he rambles about how he's "lost control of his life." Finally, Stu hands Angelica the pudding she wants... only for her to tell him that she's not hungry anymore. Cue an ear-splitting scream from Stu.
- Staggered Zoom: The episode ends with such a zoom on Angelica's eye after Drew asks if she knows how to make chocolate pudding, accompanied by the buzzing of Charlotte's call buzzer, ending with Angelica's pupil engulfing the screen with black as the longest buzz of all is heard.
- Sure, Let's Go with That: Angelica is legitimately surprised when the doctor diagnoses her leg as broken for real (due to a name mix-up). Later, she explains to Tommy she has no idea how it worked but is taking the opportunity.
- Taking Advantage of Generosity: Angelica makes Stu and Didi do whatever she wants by pretending her leg really is broken. This is especially prominent in the scene where she wants Stu to get her chocolate pudding in the middle of the night, and then suddenly decides that she doesn't want it.
- Tears of Joy: Stu bursts into tears when he finds out that Angelica's leg isn't really broken.Didi: Stu, what's wrong?
Stu: I'm just so happy!
- Thousand-Yard Stare: Stu shoots a few of them as Angelica's demands weigh down on him. Angelica herself shoots one right at the screen as the final shot as Charlotte continues buzzing for her.
- Unwitting Instigator of Doom: Dr. Doozer's misreading of Angelica's file of Peaches (and refusal to double check) not only enabled Angelica to act on her scheme, but caused the real Peaches' to ruin his leg even further.