The twenty-second episode of the third season of Rugrats.
New Kid In Town
After Angelica bullies the babies one time too many, they start hanging out with a kid named Josh, only to find that he may be worse.
Pickles Vs. Pickles
Angelica sues her parents after they punish her for refusing to eat broccoli.
"New Kid In Town" provides examples of:
- Action Girl: Angelica has a moment in this episode when she stops Josh from jumping on the babies.Josh: This is none of your business! These are MY babies now.
Angelica: This caterpult says different! [launches a water balloon]
Josh: I'm not scared of you!
Angelica: Oh, yeah? Well, you're making a big mistake, bucko! [launches another water balloon]
- Big Damn Heroes: Angelica has a moment when she launches a water balloon at Josh just as he is about to jump on the babies.Angelica: *launches a water balloon that just barely avoids hitting Josh* The next one won't miss!
Babies: (overjoyed) Angelica!
- Book-Ends: This episode begins and ends with Angelica hanging from the monkey bars by her legs while Tommy, Chuckie, Phil, and Lil dig a moat around it.
- Catchphrase: Josh's catchphrase is "Fair is fair", which he uses every time the babies do something he doesn't like.
- Chekhov's Gun: At the beginning of this episode, Angelica orders the babies to dig a "moat" for her "castle" (a jungle gym at the park). She claims "There could be an invasion any minute," and tells the babies that she's going to go get her "caterpult" (a wagon with a makeshift slingshot attached that she uses to throw water balloons) just in case. At the end of the episode, she uses it against Josh (who was bullying the babies) when she comes to the rescue.
- Faux Affably Evil: Josh at first seems like a nice kid and keeps it up when he takes stuff for him self, claiming "fair is fair". Though when the babies have had enough, he drops the act and becomes more aggressive.
- Hypocritical Heartwarming: Angelica, when she confronts Josh.Josh: Hey, what's the big idea?
Angelica: I'M the big idea, and I say quit messing with these babies! They don't have to be bossed around by you or anyone else! *to the babies* Come on, get up off the ground, dummies!
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: While Angelica takes delight in bullying the babies, she objects to anybody else doing it, especially Josh.
- Refuse to Rescue the Disliked: When Tommy comes to Angelica and tells her about how mean Josh is being to him and his friends, Angelica refuses to help him at first because he and the other babies refused to dig a moat for her.
- We Want Our Jerk Back: When Josh bullies the babies into digging a moat around the jungle gym, Chuckie tells Tommy that he misses Angelica. Tommy and the twins also admit that they miss Angelica and the ways she used to bully them.
"Pickles Vs. Pickles" provides examples of:
- Absentee Actor: This episode is one of the few where Tommy Pickles does not appear.
- All Just a Dream: Much of this episode's events are revealed to be a dream of Drew's.
- Continuity Nod: Angelica tells Drew about how last year for her birthday, she wanted a big train from Toy Palace that you could ride around on, which Drew couldn't get her, because the store was out.
- Courtroom Episode: Angelica sues her parents after they make her eat broccoli.
- Denied Food as Punishment: Drew and Charlotte punish Angelica by not giving her dessert when she refuses to eat her broccoli and tosses her dinner plate against the wall.
- Greens Precede Sweets: This episode begins with Drew and Charlotte trying unsuccessfully to get Angelica to eat broccoli. When Angelica refuses, Drew tells her that if she doesn't eat her broccoli, she won't get seconds on dessert. Angelica finds this unfair and retaliates by throwing her dinner plate against the wall.
- Kangaroo Court: The whole court is on Angelica's side and the judge even allows her to bring up her toys as witnesses. Although Drew is given a lawyer to defend him, he quickly gives up when he realizes how biased the jury and the judge are against his client.
- No Celebrities Were Harmed: This episode features attorneys named F. Lee Barnum and Mr. Hershowitz.
- Parental Bonus: Angelica's lawyer is Mr. Barnum. It's a double bonus because not only does the judge call the lawyer on making the court a circus, it would be remarkably prescient of another trial, this time with a laywer named Bailey...
- Pushover Parents: Zig-zagged with Drew. At the beginning of the episode, he and Charlotte punish Angelica by denying her dessert when she refuses to eat her broccoli. When Angelica hires Mr. Barnum as her lawyer, Drew at first tries to back out of the trial, but when he hears a list of demands from Angelica, courtesy of Mr. Barnum, he is determined not to be pushed around by Angelica. At the end of the episode, he apologizes to Angelica for trying to make her eat broccoli, and tells her she can try the foods she's ready to try. After he leaves, Angelica pulls out a food pyramid with most of the foods crossed out, implying that Drew has given into her demands many times before.
- Repeat After Me: This exchange between Mr. Hershowitz and Angelica;Mr. Hershowitz: Please answer Yes or No.
Angelica: Yes or No.
Mr. Hershowitz: Angelica, answer the question.
Angelica: Angelica, answer the question.
Mr. Hershowitz: Are you mimicking me?
Angelica: Are you mimicking me?
Mr. Hershowitz: Are you aware you're in a court of law?
Angelica: Are you aware you're in a court of law?
Mr. Hershowitz: Stop it!
Angelica: Stop it!
- Stock "Yuck!": Angelica dislikes broccoli, and takes her hatred for it Up to Eleven by suing her parents for trying to make her eat it.