Rick and his family are invited to a wedding.
This episode contains examples of:
- Baby Planet: The first Earth-like planet.
- Bathroom Stall of Overheard Insults: Rick overhears Jerry badmouthing him while his daughter and grand children actually stand up for him.
- Big "NO!": Rick when Bird Person is shot.
- Bittersweet Ending: Rick turns himself into the Galactic Federation and is given a life sentence to a maximum security prison, all so his family won't have to be on the lam. Even when they return to Earth, Jerry is finally given a new job, but it's clear that the rest of the family (especially Beth) are going to miss Rick a lot.
- Cliffhanger: "Tune in to Rick and Morty Season 3 in, like, a year and a half... or longer, to see how we unravel this mess."
- Comically Missing the Point: Birdperson tries, with all the subtlety of a sledgehammer, to impress upon Beth that his background with Rick is not something that she should envy. She still manages to fail to get it.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Squanchy.
- Depth Deception: When they crash into a planet because Rick thought it would be further away.
- Dying Alone: During his wedding speech Rick ensures to everyone that they will die alone.
- Electric Torture: Rick tells his family that this will be awaiting them if they decided to return to Earth.
- Eye Scream: Beth stabs Tammy's mother in the eye with a knife.
- Food Chains: While never explicitly stated, the way that Rick bats the food out of Summer and Morty's hands on cob planet before fleeing in a panic suggests that either ingesting the food there or even spending too much time there might have biologically dire consequences.
- Foreshadowing: During the wedding, Birdperson vows to belong with Tammy until his death. Tammy, on the other hand, vows to belong with Birdperson until HIS death.
- Honey Trap: Tammy is really an undercover agent for the Galactic Federation and kills Bird Person shortly after marrying him.
- Jerkass Has a Point: Jerry's rant to Mrs Guetermann about Tammy marrying such an older person is obnoxious, sure, but he raises some good points about why they are even allowing it. Turns out the whole marriage thing is a sham to kill Birdperson and capture rest of the guests attending the wedding, while Tammy is a Deep Cover Agent and the parents are Killer Robots.
- Jerkass Façade: During the toast, Rick explains his low opinion of marriage is because he's so brilliant and couldn't make his own marriage work.
- Kind Hearted Cat Lover: Mr. Poopybutthole owns a cat.
- Little "No":Beth: He's not coming back, is he?
Morty: [sadly] No.
- Nasty Party: The wedding is a trap by the Galactic Federation to capture a mass of wanted criminals, and descends into a shootout.
- Oh, Crap!: Rick after discovering the second planet has everything on a cob.
- The Power of Love: On staying in hiding to protect Rick:Jerry: Why are we doing this for someone who would never do anything for anyone but himself?
Morty: That's not the point, Dad. We love Rick... for the most part.
Summer: Yeah, you don't love people in hopes of a reward, Dad. You love them unconditionally.
- Pun-Based Title: On Wedding Crashers.
- Put Down Your Gun and Step Away: Tammy tells Rick to drop his portal gun and slide it to the center of the room.
- Robotic Reveal: The skin on Tammy's "parents" suffers damage, revealing them as Killer Robots.
- Sentimental Music Cue: The ending song "Hurt" by Nine Inch Nails.
- Shell-Shock Silence: After the portal gun goes off.
- The Stinger: Mr. Poopybutthole (still recovering from when Beth shot him) reacts to the episode and bothers a pizza delivery guy with questions about how the cliffhanger will be resolved.
- Stock Sound Effect: The kids laughter stock sound can be heard right after the wedding ceremony is finished and the feasting begins.
- Third Time's the Charm: Trope mentioned by Rick when they visit the third Earth-like planet.
- Throwing Out the Script: Parodied with Rick's wedding toast to Birdperson. In fact, it's the current page image for the trope. What his notes say verbatim is:Uh, hi, everybody. I'm Rick. You know, when I first met Birdperson, he was (trail off) (crumple up notes) (Ad-lib)...
- [Verb] This!: "Squanch this!"
- Weird Sun: The third planet has a screaming sun.
- Wham Episode: The Galactic Federation catches up with Rick, and to keep his family from living a life on the run, he turns himself in and is placed in a maximum security prison.
- Wham Line: Why does Beth put up with all of the horrible things her father had put her and her family through?Beth: "Because I don't want him to leave again, you dumb asshole!"
Tammy:But then I think, you know, in a lot of ways, I'm not a high-school senior from the planet earth. In a lot of ways, what I really am is a deep-cover agent for the galactic federation, and you guys are a group of wanted criminals, and this entire building is, in a certain sense, surrounded.
- Tammy revealing who she is.
- What Are You in For?: "Everything".
- Widowed at the Wedding: Birdperson gets killed by his undercover wife on their wedding day.
- You Shall Not Pass!: Squanchy buys time for the Smiths to escape.
- "What have I become
My sweetest friend
Everyone I know
Goes away in the end..."