After Thor and Sub-Zero were tightening up some loose ends, they were discussing the currents events, only to be interrupted by Signum, who reports to them that the House of Beast is under attack. Due to the fact that Thor's presence can be easily spotted, he let's Sub-Zero and Signum head over to the destination to find one of the perpetrators, Barbatos Goetia, the killer of heroes, causing mischief; the one who elimnated Komamura Sajin and Cairne Bloodhoof. As Signum heads off to find the other perpetrator, Sub-Zero and Barbatos fought, with the former gaining the upper hand. Barbatos warns the Ice Ninja of Signum, causing him to come to her aide.
Signum rushed to the other perpetrator, revealed to be Cypha of Huckeben. The two fought, with Cypha as victor, thus depowering Signum. Sub-Zero arrives and battles Cypha, gaining the upper hand. All of sudden, The Ice Ninja felt his powers weakening, turning the tide of battle in Cypha's favor. Lamia Loveless and Thor arrived and ordered a retreat. Thor reveals to Sub-Zero that Raiden has lost his avatar to Quan Chi, explaining the power decline, while Lamia told Signum to rest, swearing she will avenge her friend.
Tropes that apply here:
- Curbstomp Battle: Sub-Zero was getting the upper hand against Cypha. However, he suddenly got weaker. By the time he regrouped with his allies, Thor explains to the Cryomancer that Quan Chi had enslaved his cyborg avatar as a revenant.
- Avenging the Villain: This is an Inverted Trope, as Lamia expresses deep concern for her friend Signum, who was depowered by Cypha.
- Downer Ending: Three gods of the GUAG are depowered, and Komamura is replaced by Wolf O'Donnell.
- Hero Killer: Barbatos, natch. The dude's depowered two gods.
- Hope Spot: a mild example. Sub-Zero was about to defeat Cypha, but lost his power when he was one step from victory due to Quan Chi enslaving his avatar.
- I Let You Win: Barbatos held back in his battle against Sub-Zero.
- Put on a Bus: Sub-Zero, Signum, and Cairne. Subverted with Komamura, as he's replaced by Wolf while he never comes back.
- This Is Unforgivable!: Sub-Zero, to Barbatos and Cypha. Signum does it to the latter villain as well.
- The Worf Effect: Komamura and Cairne are beaten brutally by Barbatos.