Stimpy: We don't like this, Ren
Sven: Ya. You scaring us.
Ren: Good. You're scared, huh? Next, I'm gonna... TEAR your arms out of the sockets! And you wanna know what else? I'm gonna HIT ya. And you're gonna falllllllll. And I'm gonna look down. And I'm gonna laugh.
—Ren's infamous To the Pain monologue.
"Sven Hoek" is the fourth episode of the second season of The Renand Stimpy Show. It is the first episode to be finished after John K. was fired in the show's original run.
Stimpy's stupidity has really started to get on Ren's nerves. He anticipates a fruitful visit from his intellectual cousin Sven, but Sven turns out to be as dumb as Stimpy. Stimpy and Sven immediately become the best of friends, sharing their collections of spit and nose goblins, and revealing that they're both members of the Loyal Order of Stupids. This serves to make Ren even angrier and fed up.
When Ren leaves for work, Stimpy and Sven play hide-and-seek and spend time in Stimpy's litterbox. Later, they fight the boredom of a rainy day by playing "the funnest game in the whole wide world", "Don't Whiz on the Electric Fence". Ren comes home to find the house a complete mess, and his collections of opera records, incurable diseases and dinosaur droppings ruined. Enraged, Ren confronts Stimpy and Sven and outlines the horrible and violent things he has in store for them, only to break momentarily to pee.
Ren discovers Stimpy and Sven's board game, and whizzes on the electric fence. The three of them are sent directly to Hell by the resulting electrical explosion, where Satan greets them with the cheerful admonishment "So, you whizzed on the electric fence, didn't ya?"
Three bumpers air with this episode to bring it up to standard length: A new Log commercial promoting new products, a Gritty Kitty litter commercial featuring some of the fabulous prizes waiting inside each bag, and and a new "What Will We Do Til Then?" bumper where Stimpy inflates himself like a balloon.
- First Aired: November 4, 1992
- Directed by: John K.
- Story by: Bob Camp and John. K
- Storyboard by: Jim Smith and Bill Wray
- Animation Direction by: Bob Jaques
- Animation by: Carbunkle Cartoons
- Animation Bump: Carbunkle animated this episode.
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: After threatening to gouge out their eyes and tearing their arms off, Ren finishes his rant at Stimpy and Sven by threatening to push them over and laugh at them.
- Artistic License Biology: Ren's collection of "incurable diseases." None of the three we see are incurable, and one of them, Scabies, isn't even a disease, but a skin inflammation caused by parasites.
- Artistic License Paleontology: Ren's dinosaur droppings are labelled as Paleozoic, rather than Mesozoic.
- Balloonacy: One of the bumpers.
- Bowdlerization: Stimpy and Sven playing circus in the closet (with Stimpy declaring that he's a sword swallower) and many of Ren's gruesome threats to Stimpy and Sven were cut by Nickelodeon, and BBC Two in the UK. The DVD reinstates it all.
- Originally, "Don't Whiz on the Electric Fence" was supposed to be called "Don't Pee on the Electric Fence." Nickelodeon objected to "pee" (though pretty much everyone agreed that "whizz" was funnier than "pee").
- Also, the scenes where Stimpy and Sven roll the die for their game and when Ren threatens to their the boys' arms out while were shortened, possibly for timing purposes (though the latter most likely to lessen the frightening mental image).
- Brotherhood of Funny Hats: Stimpy and Sven are lodge brothers from the Loyal Order of Stupids, who apparently wear inflated rubber gloves over their heads.
- Collector of the Strange: Ren collects such things as coprolites, opera records, and samples of "rare incurable diseases".
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: Stimpy and Sven compare the sizes of their...brains, with Sven awestruck at the size of Stimpy's and Stimpy tittering shyly and eagerly agreeing to see Sven's.
- Everything Explodes Ending: Ren blows up the house after taking a whiz on Stimpy's board game.
- Eye Scream: One of Ren's violent threats.
- Finger Wag: Satan gives one to Ren as he scolds him for whizzing on the electric fence.
- Fire and Brimstone Hell: As noted, the ending takes place here.
- Funny Foreigner: Sven, who was intentionally created as an ignorant parody of Nordic culture.
- Incest Subtext: Ren and Sven were born in the same litter, despite being cousins.
- Inherently Funny Word: "Whizz."
- I Will Tear Your Arms OffRen: Yeah, that's what I'm gonna do...
- Literal Metaphor: When Ren whizzes on Stimpy's copy of "Don't Whiz on the Electric Fence", the resulting short circuit blows him, Stimpy, and Sven to Hell in a quite literal sense.
- Mood Whiplash: "But first, first.. I gotta take a whizz!"
- Recycled Animation: Stimpy showing off his Magic Nose Goblins is reused from an earlier bumper.
- The three bumpers on this episode all recycle animation from previous episodes (including the Log and Muddy Mudskipper songs).
- Threw My Bike on the Roof: Ren's whizzing on the game board. As noted, he failed to learn a couple of important facts about said game before doing so.
- To the Pain: Ren's tirade.
- Tranquil Fury: Ren is eerily calm during his To the Pain tirade.