Preparing to send his usual Father's Day video-message to himself, Lister is interrupted by Rimmer pointing out that he's been a pretty awful dad. This leads to the incredibly drunk Lister deciding to give himself some particularly tough love. Meanwhile, Rimmer and Kryten are stuck dealing with their attempt to engage a replacement ship computer, who turns out to be even less competent than Holly was.
This episode contains examples of:
- A.I. Is a Crapshoot: Pree, thanks to her "Predictive Behavior Technology", is a Literal Genie who basically fouls up everything she does because she attempts to do things exactly like an incompetent such as Arnold Rimmer would order them to be done. Lister turns this on her and gets her to delete herself in the end.
- Chekhov's Gun: The medical file Lister makes for his son(self) manages to prove useful in Pree's disactivation.
- Continuity Nod: Reference is made to Lister being his own father via time-paradox, something revealed back in series 7's Ouroborous.
- Name's the Same: How Lister manages to trick Pree into thinking he is his own person who didn't resign. That was his dad, they just share the same name.
- Never My Fault: We get two versions of this: Pree and Rimmer. Pree has the excuse of being programmed to aligning herself with the ship's ranking officer and therefore is set to carry out instructions as the ranking officer would see fit. Rimmer happens to be that ranking officer, so on account that he would cock up ship repairs, she went on to cock it up for him. Rimmer, on the other hand, would most likely blame Kryten for everything that's happened and march off indignantly to the nearest exit, as Pree points out for him. Rimmer proceeds to do so without question.
- Tough Love: Lister asks for advice regarding his son (himself) from the medi-comp, and it gives him the advice of giving his son goals and if he doesn't achieve his goals, Lister should kick his butt hard. Lister proceeds to record himself the night before posing as Dad to himself as Son, and gives him instructions to do. Son refuses to do so and just plays the next messages a few times. Thanks to Pree's PHT, Dad knew that would happen, and shouts at him for ignoring the instructions and eventually flushes Son's guitar out the airlock.