Desperate to escape Angelville and his family, Jesse attempts to forge an unlikely alliance with a familiar adversary.
- Asshole Victim: The teacher in the flashback had an affair with a student and then hired Grandma to help him escape the consequences. And then thought it was a good idea to stiff her on the payments.
- Good Thing You Can Heal: Of course Cass, who has a Healing Factor, is the only one who gets badly injured during the shootout. Again. Tulip teases him about how he must be carrying some sort of magnet that attracts bullets.
- Let's You and Him Fight: Jesse provokes the L'Angelle's long-time rivals, the Boyds, causing them to attack the house and thus cause a diversion for him to strike a deal with Starr.
- Poor Communication Kills: If Jesse had actually told Tulip what he was doing, there's a very good chance that she wouldn't have jumped to the conclusion that he was abandoning her again and so wouldn't have interrupted the hand-off between him and the Grail.
- Psychic Strangle: When Grandma finds out that Jesse has been trying to get away, she chokes him without even being within eyesight of him.
- Your Soul is Mine!: This was apparently the punishment for skipping a payment to Granma, back in the day.