Misty has to assert control over Cerulean Gym now that her sisters have abandoned it. With the Pokémon Investigation Agency coming, and enemies ready to thwart the handover, Misty must face her fear of the dreaded Gyarados.
This episode contains examples of the following tropes:
- Misty puts on her mermaid costume from The Misty Mermaid again as part of her plan to tame Gyarados by reminding him of the ballet they performed when it was still a Magikarp.
- Cheaters Never Prosper: The Invincible Pokémon Bros. are banned from participating in offical Pokémon matches for life by Agent Joy for summoning multiple Pokémon in a standard battle, arguing back at Agent Joy's rulings, and then attacking both Gyarados and Misty.
- Also, one of the brothers Hitmonchan pretends to drown, prompting Misty's Staryu to try and help, only for the fighting type to throw a cheap shot at Staryu. Nurse Joy disqualifies Hitmonchan and awards the point to Misty.
- Imagine Spot: Misty has one involving Expys of The Blues Brothers of all things after spotting them on a tv as she's riding her bike at the beginning of the episode.
- Nice Job Fixing It, Villain!: The Invincible Pokémon Bros. unintentionally help Misty finally tame Gyarados when they have their Tentacruel attack it in it's cage, forcing her to protect Gyarados and risk drowning, causing Gyarados to see how Misty cares about it and brake out of it's cage to save her from drowning.
- Secret Keeper: The Nurse Joy in this episode is actually Agent Joy of the Pokemon Investigation Agency.
- Super Not-Drowning Skills: Gyarados seems to have a power to allow its trainer to breathe underwater. Once it breaks out of the cage, Misty has no problem, even though she was drowning before it broke free.