Set in an unspecified time in the past, "Training Daze" is a flashback episode about how Team Rocket became friends. Jessie, trainee who couldn't keep a partner for long, was paired up with James and Meowth. The three didn't initially get along but they soon became close.
This episode provides examples of:
- Heroic Sacrifice: James attempts one of these when he falls into a hole. He tells Meowth and Jessie to leave him to the police, but they refuse to and end up lifting him out of the hole.
- Multiple-Choice Past: The episode shows that Jessie, James, and Meowth met relatively recently. This contradicts their earliest flashback where they were in a bike gang together, though that flashback in itself is likely Early Installment Weirdness as other flashbacks don't depict Jessie and James knowing one another growing up.
- Ship Tease: When Jessie helps James out of the hole, he accidentally lands of top of her. Jessie blushes before James gets off her (and it's unlikely to be from exhaustion).
- Took a Level in Cheerfulness: It's shown that both Jessie and James were more serious and stoic during their training days. Even by the first episode they had become more cheerful and campy.
- Whole Episode Flashback: "Training Daze" reveals how the Terrible Trio became a trio.