- Badly Battered Babysitter: A downplayed example, where all the Pokémon that stayed behind at the Pokémon Center seem thrilled at the thought of playing with the babies there. Everyone except Corphish, it seems...
- Big Damn Heroes: Ash and Brock saving May and Max from falling to their deaths.
- Dick Dastardly Stops to Cheat: Jesse and Meowth sabotage the various competitors in the race, and they even manage to keep themselves hidden while doing it. However, it didn't occur to them that while they're playing foul, they should still be collecting stamps.
- Gentle Giant: Donphan lets the baby Pokémon use his hide as an improvised slide.
- Honor Before Reason: Unlike his comrades, James refuses to cheat with the Orienteering Contest. He ends up winning, while Jessie and Meowth are disqualified.
- Not-So-Harmless Villain: Despite being fairly mundane antagonists here, Jessie and Meowth very nearly kill May and Max by cutting a bridge under them.
- Overprotective Dad: Jesse provides a shortcut for James so that he can win the Orienteering contest faster, but James snaps at her, considering the shortcut is going to be dangerous for Mime Jr.
- Super Speed: With the prospect of winning lots of food, Munchlax beat feet to various destinations while his partner Max tries to catch up.
- Talking Is a Free Action: Subverted. While Jessie and Meowth perform the motto, Ash's friends discretely retrieve the stolen Pokémon and prizes.
Recap / Pokemon S 9 E 14 Off The Unbeaten Path