Ash and friends arrive on Silverrock Island to find clues to the mysterious Pokémon they encountered before. While there, they meet an ailing jewelry maker and his Sandslash as well as learn the legend of a fourth Whirl Islet besides the known three.
- Aw, Look! They Really Do Love Each Other: For all of their ripping on each other, Jenaro and Ariene are this to a tee.
- The Bus Came Back: At the very end, when the heroes arrive at the next island, they encounter Ritchie's Pikachu, Sparky, who has been absent since the end of the Indigo League.
- Cannot Spit It Out: Jenaro to Ariene. He finally does in the end with his proposal.
- Childhood Friend Romance: Jenaro and Ariene, lampshaded by Misty.
- Con Man: One tries to scam Ash and company by selling them fake Silverrock. Ariene thankfully intervenes. He does manage to fool Team Rocket, however.
- Insecure Love Interest: Jenaro, at first.
- Shipper on Deck: The twerps to Jenaro and Ariene, especially Misty.
- Volleying Insults: Of the somewhat good-natured vibe between Jenaro and Ariene. They hardly exchange words without pushing buttons.