Japanese Title: Nyarth's A-I-U-E-O
Original Airdate: November 12th, 1998
US Airdate: October 9th, 1999
The gang heads to Hollywood for the premiere of Pokémon in Love
and Meowth is forced to look back on his painful past. Meowth shares bittersweet memories of his life before Team Rocket, and reveals how and why he learned to walk and talk like a human.
- Call-Back: Ash and his friends are invited to the premiere of Pokémon in Love, which they helped produce in the last episode.
- Chekhov's Skill: Meowth's ability to speak human language while also understanding Pokemon speak was meant to be one for the series' ending as originally envisioned by Takeshi Shudo, but this obviously ended up not happening.
- A Day in the Limelight: The focus of the episode is Team Rocket's Meowth and his backstory. Ash and co.'s Hollywood excursion acts as widow dressing to Meowth's narrative.
- Did Not Get the Girl: Meowzie chooses to stay with Persian over Meowth because he was the one who took care of her after her owner abandoned her. Also, she still thinks Meowth is a freak and can't comprehend the notion of getting together with him despite liking him better now.
- Dub-Induced Plot Hole: Meowth isn't from Hollywood, California but is instead from Hollywood, Kanto. The English dub makes it seem like he's from California but doesn't explain why or how the characters travelled to the US from Kanto.
- Lost in Translation: In the original, the episode's "Hollywood" is called "horiuddo" (ホリウッド), which is similar but distinct from the official Japanese spelling of real-life Hollywood, "hariuddo" (ハリウッド). This is lost in the dub, where the city is Hollywood; it's even said to be in California.
- Marilyn Maneuver: Done by Ash's mom!
- Origins Episode: We see how Meowth learned to talk and what his life was like before he joined Team Rocket.
- Shout-Out: Young Meowth is inspired when he sees That Darn Meowth.
- The Show Goes Hollywood: When Ash and his friends arrive in Hollywood for the Pokémon in Love premiere, the city is completely run-down.