Japanese Title: Rival Showdown! Okido Laboratory
Original Airdate: October 8th, 1998
US Airdate: September 30th, 1999
On a visit to Professor Oak's house, Ash runs into Gary where they talk about the upcoming Pokémon League. Professor Oak explains that instead of being so competitive with each other they should try and learn from each other. When Team Rocket busts into the lab and tries to steal all the Pokémon everyone learns a lesson about teamwork.
- Bait-and-Switch: Yeah, despite how much it's teased for the first part of the episode, like we're gonna get that long awaited showdown between Ash and Gary right before the Tournament Arc the whole show so far has built to. They're obviously gonna do it there instead.note
- Brutal Honesty: Gary notes that Ash just uses the same Pokémon over and over, and isn't training up his full slate. Ash also doesn't know that he should be strategizing against specific gym leaders and their weaknesses.
- Continuity Nod: A strange aversion of this occurs when Gary doesn't recognize the same talking Meowth he flat-out attacked just a few episodes ago.
- Deus ex Machina: Just as it looks as if we're going to see Ash and Gary team up to take down Team Rocket, Ash's Tauros come crashing through a fence and send the Terrible Trio blasting off. This was especially true for Western audiences, as for them the Tauros literally showed up out of nowhere.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: Ash and Gary have a dic- er... Krabby measuring contest. Really not helped by Brock and Misty saying "it's gigantic" about Gary's Krabby.
- Dub-Induced Plot Hole: Ash's collection of Tauros that he caught in the banned episode The Legend of Dratini" appears for the first time to viewers outside Japan. At least Oak did say Ash caught them in the Safari Zone, but that's all the context the uninformed viewer gets on them.
- Quality over Quantity: Ash makes this argument to counter Gary's proficiency at catching large numbers of Pokémon.
- Tyop on the Cover: Two in a row. Namely the last word being spelled Corrall with 2 Ls.
- Waxing Lyrical: Team Rocket quotes from "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes" (The Platters), "Show Me the Way to Go Home" (Emerson, Lake & Palmer) and "Volare" (Dean Martin).